• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gettin my butt kicked

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Enroll your kids in automotive school. At least one of them will have a talent in auto repair, right?
Having been a teacher of Vocational Education for a few years I can say that we need more people going into the trades. When did we start to think being a craftsman as a bad thing and that we had to send our kids to college and not to a trade school?

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
I've changed the starter in the parking lot at -40 degrees, replaced brake lines without a hoist, gotten plenty of rust falling into my eye while dealing with 15 year old rusted crap, etc.

Reminded me of the time the right front brake line blew on my Wrangler (rusted through), since the factory install those on the frame before body goes on, I had to hand thread the steel hose through the various body structure, and bend it with just my hands and a big socket as anvil, then do the final flaring in the wheelwell, did not enjoy that experience.

TS
Varmintmist

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Reminded me of the time the right front brake line blew on my Wrangler (rusted through), since the factory install those on the frame before body goes on, I had to hand thread the steel hose through the various body structure, and bend it with just my hands and a big socket as anvil, then do the final flaring in the wheelwell, did not enjoy that experience.
Yep, did a F150, all of them, with coated line. I did buy a hand bending tool, it was like 5 bucks.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I cleared two semi clogged bathroom sink drains today.. Sometimes I wish everyone else in the family was also bald hahahaha!

Best thing for hair. A pint and 30 minute, no muss, no fuss.

Drano.jpeg

TS
Varmintmist

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Having been a teacher of Vocational Education for a few years I can say that we need more people going into the trades. When did we start to think being a craftsman as a bad thing and that we had to send our kids to college and not to a trade school?
In the 60's. The whole Work smarter not harder thing, check out Mike Rowes stuff.
It came from the education class. I was told by the HS guidance counselor (Sylvia, some people you never forget) that I would never amount to anything because I wasnt going to jump out and get a 4Y degree that I had no desire to get, no money to get, and quite honestly didnt have the grades. Within 7 years I was making more than she ever would.

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
Yep, did a F150, all of them, with coated line. I did buy a hand bending tool, it was like 5 bucks.

Tools works great, if it fits lol.

That's one of the biggest pain of being a home mechanic, no lift so what would've been a quick job turns into some sort of contortionist exercise. Having big hands also suck, not looking forward to changing spark plugs on my Subaru.

TS
Varmintmist

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Jackstands, quantity 4.
I feel your pain about paws, literally. Most XL, XXL gloves arent.I dont normally buy them unless I am in front of them.

TS
Varmintmist

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Window regulator and motor went in w/o a hitch last night. Except I think the puppy liked her pre pheasant season training. I had the doors open and couldnt keep her out of the truck.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier

Where I live right now the average carpenter can't read a tape measure. My frustration level is off the charts. From one "Uncle" to another........thanks for pointing it out.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Where I live right now the average carpenter can't read a tape measure. My frustration level is off the charts. From one "Uncle" to another........thanks for pointing it out.

I'm pretty sure the PTB are counting on AI equipped autonomous robots to maintain and repair the autonomous vehicles and other "modern" facilities in the very near future.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Unfortunately too many people think because they can pick up a hammer and swing it, that they are carpenters. A real carpenter can frame a house or build cabinets and the furniture.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

For wall to wall unit accuracy and precision the custom cabinet shop I used to work at required everyone to use the exact same brand of WOODEN folding rulers because they were more accurate than tape measures. Now they probably use lasers and scanners to measure that stuff, set the dato grooves, etc.

TS
Varmintmist

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Got the parts in for wifes truck
Neighbor is a mechanic
Neighbor wants a underground electric in his garage
I have a backhoe
Neighbor now has ditch with conduit and wire in it
Wifes truck and part are in his garage

Win win

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Son has a friend, 33. Went to a very, very demanding college as s freshman. Starts date a great girl. Girl's dad is "plumber." Friend works for him that summer. Loves it. Loves everything about it. Quick study. Awesome with employees and customers.

Friend does not go back to college. Goes to school to become a crackerjack licensed plumber. Gets fully licensed.

So...now married to the daughter. He dad has no sons. And one awesome son in law who will be taking this over soon.

Dad "was" a plumber and still likes being in the field on all sorts of jobs. I think they have 80 plumbers working for the business. Huge, huge business.

Yeah, the trades will always be there, methinks. Not a bad call. We could have launched a pretty nice business with the $250K in college expenses.

TS
Varmintmist

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Self employed plumber is a fast track to becoming wealthy as long as you understand you play where others pee. Low start up cost, high demand for someone who is GOOD and will show up at zero dark 30.
2 rules of plumbing. Poop flows downhill, and dont bite your fingernails.

TS
Varmintmist

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
I'm pretty sure the PTB are counting on AI equipped autonomous robots to maintain and repair the autonomous vehicles and other "modern" facilities in the very near future.
I do telecommunications. I will drive a lawnmower before I get on a freeway with 1000 self driving cars that I know can become defunct if the squirrel has a taste for the orange fiber. Mice or ants in a fiber tray. A moth on a backplane. A "off continent" Ops center logs into the wrong node. Snake burnt across the battery terminals......

Sponsor

Staff online