• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Getting ready for ski season

marjoram_sage

newly addicted to skiing
Skier
Hi All,

I know there are many threads on this topic but I wanted to get a 80/20 recommendation on fitness for skiing. I have been working out 3-4 times a week since March and I'd like to add 15 minutes of ski realted exercises to my workout sessions.

Currently I do most of these once a week
  • barbell backsquats
  • deadlifts
  • clean and jerk
  • snatches
  • barbell lunges
  • barbell front squats
  • overhead strict press
Any recommendations for a follow along video program? If I have to think too much and read too much, most likely I won't end up doing it. So trying to keep it very simple so I can stick to it.

Thanks!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Cross country trial running, with vert. Mountain biking is good too. Add more core stuff, sit ups. back dips.. (backwards sit ups).

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
How's your range of motion? Internal rotation of your femur? Hip and lumbar mobility? For recreational skiers those are much more limiting factors than strength. And as other have said one leg drills.

Start now for the 21 / 22 season.

freeskier1961

still aspiring
Skier
stretching hamstrings especially in males typically provides more mobility and less strain on the lower back
( 2 discectomies later)
I find rounding back helps me with rotation of femurs in hips

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm glad some others thought to mention developing flexibility. Stretching, yoga poses. Don't do stuff that hurts.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hi All,

I know there are many threads on this topic but I wanted to get a 80/20 recommendation on fitness for skiing. I have been working out 3-4 times a week since March and I'd like to add 15 minutes of ski realted exercises to my workout sessions.

Currently I do most of these once a week
  • barbell backsquats
  • deadlifts
  • clean and jerk
  • snatches
  • barbell lunges
  • barbell front squats
  • overhead strict press
Any recommendations for a follow along video program? If I have to think too much and read too much, most likely I won't end up doing it. So trying to keep it very simple so I can stick to it.

Thanks!
Core, maybe 300 crunches every other day, planks, pull-ups and pushups

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Strength is good but maybe add some towards the reduction of injury?

Asnis

Booting up
Skier
Mountain tactical institute has a 7 week ski training program that you can get on their site. Workouts take a good 60 minutes, but it’s very ski specific. There is also a shorter 30 min program that may work as well.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Mountain tactical institute has a 7 week ski training program that you can get on their site. Workouts take a good 60 minutes, but it’s very ski specific. There is also a shorter 30 min program that may work as well.

Rob nailed most of it. I don't agree with the arm swinging in a number of the drills. He and I discussed this point. With skiing, he had excellent, technically proficient athletes to draw MA from. Other programs - Kayaking for example - not so much.

Last edited:

Asnis

Booting up
Skier
Rob nailed most of it. I don't agree with the arm swinging in a number of the drills. He and I discussed this point. With skiing, he had excellent, technically proficient athletes to draw MA from. Other programs - Kayaking for example - not so much.
Curious, what's the arm swinging that you mention? Also, what do you mean by MA?

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Curious, what's the arm swinging that you mention? Also, what do you mean by MA?

There are a number of drills in Rob's original program- I think it had to do with more ballistic / jumping movements - where arms were incorporated for generating momentum. Not really consistent with efficient skiing. As long as you are training, you might as well drill more sports specific movement patterns.

MA = movement analysis.

Sponsor

Staff online