• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gravel, endurance or cross?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So it looks like I'll be in a position to purchase a new roadie soon. Looking for feedback on longish gravel wheelbase.. how couch-like are the longer 1025+ bikes in pavement? I do mostly pavement with gravel occasionally where the road changes. So it's really more about tire width than long wheelbase. Can anyone compare all three??

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So it looks like I'll be in a position to purchase a new roadie soon. Looking for feedback on longish gravel wheelbase.. how couch-like are the longer 1025+ bikes in pavement?

(He's talking about size XS and S btw, figure 49-51cm in old guy sizing :D )

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Indeed! :ogbiggrin: Shorty so yes small sizes and wb over say the 1010mm range.

For those who don't track dimensions, what OP is asking is a comparison of bikes like:

Group 1 tight
Cannondale CAADX
Stevens Super Prestige
Canyon Grail

vs. Group 2 cusp
Ritchey Swiss Cross
Cube Cross Race Pro
All City Nature Cross

vs. Group 3 slack
Trek Chekpoint
Giant Revolt
Marin DSX1

And how does one find the sweet spot based on current riding goals?

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Tuna is far more verbose than I am.. :ogbiggrin: what he said!! Keeping in mind I ain't no gravel preacher and do 80-90% road. Will be riding 28s on pavement and likely 35-37 on any mixed rides. Likely no dedicated gravel riding..

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
And I should say the tight group would contain the Giant Contend and Canyon Endurace. Both those bikes will take 35mm tires.

I should also mention the price range is $1500-$2000usd.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
From my standpoint, with my Grail I don't feel like I need a road bike. If I were doing RAGBRAI or any century type thing I'd happily just use my Grail. Maybe skinnier tires, but maybe not, it goes just fine on 40s.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
From my standpoint, with my Grail I don't feel like I need a road bike. If I were doing RAGBRAI or any century type thing I'd happily just use my Grail. Maybe skinnier tires, but maybe not, it goes just fine on 40s.
So interestingly, I think the Grail is actually more roadie than the Endurace. This is purely looking at the geo charts. And Grail was first on my list but availability is suspect at this point. How do you find the stack dimension versus a traditional roadie @Erik Timmerman ?

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
So interestingly, I think the Grail is actually more roadie than the Endurace. This is purely looking at the geo charts. And Grail was first on my list but availability is suspect at this point. How do you find the stack dimension versus a traditional roadie @Erik Timmerman ?
It's good for me. I think I use the drops more than I ever did on my Lemond. They are buried under a tarp in the barn now or I'd go and compare.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
(He's talking about size XS and S btw, figure 49-51cm in old guy sizing :D )

For XS and S 1025 is helluva long methinks. You won’t get that with Endurace. With Grail in S yes but the looks of it are…shall we say polarizing.
Why not just go for a Domane and call it good?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
For XS and S 1025 is helluva long methinks. You won’t get that with Endurace. With Grail in S yes but the looks of it are…shall we say polarizing.
Why not just go for a Domane and call it good?

You don't understand - he doesn't want a long wheelbase at all. His question is whether hes missing something by getting one of the tight ones.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
The Domane is costly and currently poorly stocked. I forgot to mention, the Grail, unfortunately, uses a 650b in my size......

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Domane is costly and currently poorly stocked. I forgot to mention, the Grail, unfortunately, uses a 650b in my size......

By the time the rinks melt off up there, I suspect you'll find plenty of stock. :rolleyes:

Domane, or Domane-like, that's the way I'd go Road-ish with clearance for 40s.

I've got one hanging in the basement of my LBS for now, as the Emonda was just a little too quick and firm for my tastes.......:ogbiggrin:

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
It's actually been a pretty easy winter here in Ontario. They do have a Domane Al 4 I could pick up. Tiagra? Do I dare stoop so low? Dunno.. Trying to do a build-up pricing list, see if i can pick and choose what I want. I think something in around 1000mm wheelbase..maybe 1010. Little easier on the stack than some of the racier bikes, although I have to say I can still hit a decent position for my age...

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
You are splitting hairs and referencing categories that are generated by marketing.

I frequently run into a young lady in our town wearing a stars and stripes jersey, and a guy wearing a rainbow jersey (both earned) lapping chunky mtn bike trails on XC or pro-level road bikes.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
You are splitting hairs and referencing categories that are generated by marketing.

I frequently run into a young lady in our town wearing a stars and stripes jersey, and a guy wearing a rainbow jersey (both earned) lapping chunky mtn bike trails on XC or pro-level road bikes.
Seb Vet drives a VW minivan... :huh:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Rainbow jersey? Has Remco moved to the US? Or Nino? :ogbiggrin::P

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Rainbow jersey? Has Remco moved to the US? Or Nino? :ogbiggrin::P

Blevins. And Ned. And Simmons. And two others that I can’t put my finger on at the moment. Then there are Olympians, TDF stage winners and WC racers like Grotts, Sippy, Kuss, Travis Brown, Greg Herbold, Bob Roll, Todd Wells and we’ll over 100 national champions here. All in a town of about 18,000.

Sponsor

Staff online