• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

hart Skis on hiatus

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 6.53.30 AM.png
Like a cat hart Skis has had many lives, I believe they are well past half way of their nine. It is truly a shame that such an iconic brand has been mishandled so many times. The chance if resurrecting it again ... and again after that are getting bleaker and bleaker.

This is not because of covid, or supply issues or lack of staffing, it is because of a poor management team that had no business being in the ski industry.

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
Bummer--I'd love to see some new Harts on the hill--I sported some Gremlins back in the day.

On a related note--if anyone with skills wants to make a vintage style Hart t-shirt I'd be a buyer.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
On a related note--if anyone with skills wants to make a vintage style Hart t-shirt I'd be a buyer.
Well, there is one. ;)

some pictues from a rainy Stratton demo
23244E22-D4D4-4EC1-B202-8D7F43F54468_1_201_a.jpeg
B6DBE218-53B8-4BD1-AA34-311975A1CFE5.jpeg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
One of the skis that I would have liked to try was the Hart Javelin. It may have been an under rated ski back in the day.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Harts were the second most popular ski back when I started in the 60s, but wasn't the company sold to a some giant soap company or something a long time ago? It's hard to care much for the loss of a brand after the founders sell out like that. OTOH I'd be pretty upset if I was stuck with some inventory.

dm

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
By age, I date back to the era when Hart was a major player in the US ski market, the two H's - Hart and Head. My first good ski was a Hart Castle in the early 70's. In that era, there was a great loyalty, especially in Europe, to use skis made in the home-county, now a long gone valuation of what ski to buy. It was also an era when skis were made in America.

I remember the brief period when @Philpug became the eastern sales rep for Hart. . Hart was hoping for a rebirth and this is shown in the pictures above. I bought a Hart Fuelie, a 77 waist from Phil, who expressed a major quality claim was it was made by Blossom in Italy. Blossom, then mostly unknown, is now a highly respected brand. Hart never got much traction in the rebirth, other than the F17 bump ski.

My belief is the Hart name is known only to those of my aging generation, and, perhaps more significant is they were never a player in the wider skis currently in vogue. They would not get my funding in a future return to ski brands. Like many other brands, the time is past.

An intersting progression of the Hart Fulie to modern skis. The Fully- that I bought from Phil was a 178 length, much more a high speed cruiser that I needed. It also came with Vist bindings. I sold the Fulie to Helluvaskier who was very much a champion of the ski. The same ski became the Hart Pulse which I also owned and loved in a 170 length. Phil designed the graphics for the ski, and, I believe he still has my old pair in his garage as a keepsake. The Pulse transitioned under the Blossom name and continues until today, I'm uncertain of the names Blossom has named this ski, perhaps Phil can update. Living Proof (pardon the pun) that a great 77 mm ski can live for a very long time, my personal favorite as a versatile ski.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
More recently I remember seeing Hart skis used by bump skiers, half-pipe skiers and the aerial acrobatic skiers. Not sure why they picked the Hart brand but that is what I recall.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My belief is the Hart name is known only to those of my aging generation, and, perhaps more significant is they were never a player in the wider skis currently in vogue. They would not get my funding in a future return to ski brands. Like many other brands, the time is past.

Eh, not sure. There is a giant trove of generally-positive Internet search hits out there on 'Hart skis' that simply wouldn't exist for a brand spanking new name brand. So the name has some sort of value. ESPECIALLY among customers whose first reaction is to pull out a phone and do an Internet search.

Whether someone can make proper use of it :huh:

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
It does seem that their target market would be skiers from the 70s or modern freestyle skiers. I doubt they every made much money selling/suppling aerial and mogul skiers. But a park ski would be a scalable market.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
I think Billy Kidd was on Harts.

Attachments

• Billy Kidd.jpg
    Billy Kidd.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 37

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I didn't know they even still existed. I assumed they died off ages ago.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
They have been U.S. several times. Japanese. Italian at least once.
Canada, are you next?

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
Still have the harts pictured in my avatar. Bases are starting to peel at the edges. I'd like to fix them but not sure how yet.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Surely the name only means anything to near boomers. Anyone under 40 who has been used to a plethora of ski brand names coming and going won't give a toss about grandpa's sick ballet ski brand or whatever. I had zero awareness of them coming from Yurp - doubt I've ever seen a pair on Euro slopes.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
Roger Staub skied them. I’m full of nostalgia , I rember them well and would love to have the retro graphics Javelin in a new model.

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
In their Blossom-made iteration, I skied for about 4 seasons on the Hart Phoenix and then the Pulse. Really great east coast skis!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
hart (and The Ski) could have owned the freestyle and ballet scene for decades. They let Olin, Kastle, and Rossignol out innovate them. K2 as well to some degree, but Olin was king of the 80s.

Sponsor