• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Head Power Instinct Ti Pro 2016 Review

BluewingDavid

Booting up
Skier
I was headed down a path to purchase a set of Head iTitans or iRallys (https://www.pugski.com/threads/head-supershape-i-titan-this-years-or-last-years.8697/) when I stumbled across Phil's post of a Cage Match between Head Power Instinct Ti Pro and RTM 84. I didn't realize the Power Instinct Ti Pro were Monster 83s with a system binding. I had demo'd Head Monster 88s (2016) and really liked them a lot. I needed something a bit narrower underfoot for a daily East Coast driver. Pulled the trigger on a pair of new leftover 2016 Head Power Instinct Ti Pro's at a great price of $450.

Bottom line: these skis rock! Was totally comfortable on them from the first run. My only problem is that they really want me to rail every turn so I have been pretty thrashed at the end of each session on them.

I am an upper level advanced skier progressing to low level expert. I ski primarily in the Northeastern United States. So, usually on hard to icy man-made snow. Build quality is top notch. Topsheets are a beautiful brushed look finish. Bindings are rock solid and have a nice smooth mechanical feel kind of like closing the door on a Mercedes when you step in or click out. A ski that definitely requires some attention to ski well. The harder your drive it the better it responds. You can relax and cruise and these don't punish for mistakes, but they come alive at speed. Quick turn initiation without being hooky. These supposedly have 20% tip rocker - seems generous to me. I would put it visually at 10% and the turn initiation feels like that. Medium to large radius turns are on rails. These will make nice short radius turns but it is not the sweetest spot. Super stable at speed. Great edge grip on hard and icy conditions. Do very well in skied off deeper softer snow. Have not skied them in bumps yet - a work in progress for me - but in mounded up and chopped up snow they do great. You can sideslip these very nicely. Pivot turns not a sweet spot. Great engagement and feel in the front of these skis. I was skiing 2014 K2 AMP 80 XTi before - these are a big step up in capability and performance. The front 1/3 of the K2's were dead to me - it is quite nice finally feeling the front of the ski.

Sponsor

Staff online