• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
So I'm getting ready to buy some boots and have spent lots of time trying boots on, learning about my feet, and deciding whats right for me

Because I'm a poor highschool student and I'm buying my own boots, I don't have a lot of money to buy and get them fitted from a boot fitter or a good shop. So I will be purchasing my boots at a local ski swap most likely. My question then is, can I heat molding my liners/shells (assuming the boot works with that) on my own at home or is that something I need to have a shop do? Just don't want to wreck an expensive purchase.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You can mold the liners yourself.
I like the rice method. Put rice in an old sock, microwave it for 2-3 minutes, and put it in the liner. After 6-7 minutes, the liner should be soft, out your foot in it, in the boot, tighten it and stand for 12 minutes.

Best to search on this, there are probably videos as well.

Easy.

I simplified it, so read up

TS
Kbat117

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
Ok, just needed some confirmation because the guy at the shop today told me they will probably not if I do it myself yet YouTube tells me different :)

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
First of to the OP's question...
can I heat molding my liners/shells (assuming the boot works with that) on my own at home or is that something I need to have a shop do? Just don't want to wreck an expensive purchase.

If the liner is heat moldable, then you could follow a tutorial and attempt to mold them yourself. Based on your age and knowledge level of ski boot fitting, in my opinion you would be money ahead if you bought the correct size boot at a swap and then had a real boot fitter help you to fine tune the fit.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
As for the liner it really depends on what kind of liners they are on how best to do them. Thermfits or Intuitions can be done two to three times usually. YouTube for instructions but it goes sort of like this... Heat the liners in the oven on a cookie sheet at 200 degrees for a couple minutes, then drop them in the shells, quickly step in and buckle them. Thick socks are recommended because they will be hot.

As for the shells, you really need special tools and experience to punch shells out. If the shells are too small at any point it's either take them to a pro or buy another pair of used boots that fits better.

TS
Kbat117

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
Alright, so shop tells me they will charge $50 for aliner molding. YouTube doesn't make it seem that hard and I've always been pretty good with my hands. Is $50 a reasonable price?

And I also want to give a quick shout-out to Alpine sports in Ogden Utah! I walked in and was immediately greeted and even though I told the employee I was not looking to purchase boots yet, they took me to.thete fitting area and sized me and instructed me further on what kind of boot I should be looking for.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
As mentioned shells are hard to do. Some are heat moldable, but I don't think any of the Salomon custom shell boots would be coming up at a swap yet. That said, you can only heat mold liners a few times.

Buy that guy at the shop a coffee or beer. His time was worth it to you.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Just my opinion, but it's really worth the price difference to get a professional to set you up with a pair of foam injected custom liners. The "heat molded" liners don't even come close.

Depends on what you want. I like he lighteness of a Intuition.

My current, as of today thinking- subject to change, is that molding the liners with the rice at home or air in the shop with the liner in the boot works better than placing em in an over & then trying to get em back into the boot. The overall liner shape can be lost in the oven method.

If what you want is an intuition liner, Pay the guy 50 bucks and get me a six pack of next year. Your boots are worth it!!

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@Kbat117 Welcome,

Yes, you can get a decent heat mold on your own, IF the liners are heat mold-able and they haven't been done much. The rice in sock option works well and won't burn/melt your liner like putting it in an oven can.

I get not having the money to purchase a brand new boot and the custom fitting that can come with it. So good for you trying to get more knowledge on your end. Though I'm going to suggest a few options.

1. If you know what type of boot is going to work for you, find an older year model. Even check boot stores and ask about clearance and past year models.
2. If you feet are still growing, there are some decent sites selling barely used boots too and then you can pay the $50 for fitting.
3. Boots are important, but get some that are comfortable and tight fit. Ski even days and they will mold themselves. :)

My last two pairs have been used. Not ideal, but they don't stop me from having fun all winter long. This season, is my turn for new though. :)

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
@Kbat117 - let's back up, what type of boot are you looking for, what flex & what size?

Likely someone here can point you in the right direction or hook you up!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've also rolled up a heating pad, put it on high, then slid it in to the boot for 5 minutes then took it out and buckled it down on my foot. Worked well enough for me at the time.

TS
Kbat117

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
@Brian Finch

Shop employee sized me. Tells me to look for a 28.5 boot with 100-102mm last. Im an advanced skier and like to ski fast and aggressive and my current Salomon boots with a 90 flex just feel to squishy. So I'm looking for around 100-120 I think. I am 6' 1" and about 150lb.

My feet are a bit pronated so I get pain right beneath my ankle on some bone (can't remember it's name) that sticks out a bit. But that's only in some boots.

Would love a hike mode and a boot that isn't a tank because I like to hike, but solid fit and price is more important as I will be spending 80+ days on snow this season.

Not against buying used.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
I don't know about do-it-yourself heat molding liners, I've never done it.

If you buy your boots new, even on sale the shop should fit them for you, the cost of a new on sale boot might not be much more than buying used and then paying the shop fitting fee, shop around lots of shops have last years (or the year before that) models that they have yet to sell. Some shops, like where I get my stuff in Albuquerque, Sports Systems take trade-ins and you may be able to get a good used boot and the fitting all thrown in for a decent price.

For what its worth, (and I'm probably dating myself) for many years I never did any type of custom fitting. I just tried them on in the shop, wore them a bit and then when out and skied until they broke in (or broke me in), like you at your age I did not have much in the way of disposable income and I didn't sweat it too much, I just went out and had fun!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You can't afford a fitter? It sounds like you cannot afford NOT to go to a fitter. You are getting many suggestions on "how to mold a liner" What happens if you do it wrong? Are any of these people offering partial information cover for toasting your liner? Is the YourTube video going to cover you? There are many methods to mold liners, do you know why? Because there are many different Thermofit liners. Heat with rice? Sure, that is one way for one liner. Heat the whole liner? Works beter with some liners and some applictaions. $50.00 to get the liner done is very reasonable and you will have a store that will protect you with follow up visits to take care of hot spots. You are also in a 28.5? A common soze with leftover boots which many shops should have some leftover for $300 or less. Or even a boot that has been returned. There are a lot of options.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
2nd Tracks has a TON of boots, many prior seasons brand new. AND they do have a fitter, Andrew. They are also having their gear "swap" this weekend at the Ogden location. Worth checking out. Although, I'd recommend going in when it's not as busy.

Diamond Peak in Eden tends to have prior year models hanging out, too. The bonus to buying some on clearance from a reputable shop is you'll get the liner heated and boot molded, if it's a heal moldable shell like a Salomon XMax.

TS
Kbat117

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
You can't afford a fitter? It sounds like you cannot afford NOT to go to a fitter. You are getting many suggestions on "how to mold a liner" What happens if you do it wrong? Are any of these people offering partial information cover for toasting your liner? Is the YourTube video going to cover you? There are many methods to mold liners, do you know why? Because there are many different Thermofit liners. Heat with rice? Sure, that is one way for one liner. Heat the whole liner? Works beter with some liners and some applictaions. $50.00 to get the liner done is very reasonable and you will have a store that will protect you with follow up visits to take care of hot spots. You are also in a 28.5? A common soze with leftover boots which many shops should have some leftover for $300 or less. Or even a boot that has been returned. There are a lot of options.

Yep, I'm just saying I cant afford a $400 boot like most shops are selling as their budget option.

2nd Tracks has a TON of boots, many prior seasons brand new. AND they do have a fitter, Andrew. They are also having their gear "swap" this weekend at the Ogden location. Worth checking out. Although, I'd recommend going in when it's not as busy.

Diamond Peak in Eden tends to have prior year models hanging out, too. The bonus to buying some on clearance from a reputable shop is you'll get the liner heated and boot molded, if it's a heal moldable shell like a Salomon XMax.

Thank you! 2nd tracks swap this weekend is the swap I was referring to that I was planning on heading to. I have had great success with 2nd tracks and have bought all sorts of things there. I was not however aware till yesterday that they will do a fitting with the purchase of a new boot. I am heading up today around 12 or so and intend to purchase a boot today. I tried on several boots yesterday so I have a good idea of where to start today. Will be bringing my footbeds and some ski socks

Thanks so much for all this help and keeping me from wrecking my new boots! Great to be back on forums again.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yep, I'm just saying I cant afford a $400 boot like most shops are selling as their budget option.
I understand completely. My suggestion in hit a couple shops, tell them what your (hard and fast) budget is, if they have something for you great, if not part friends and no hard feelings. They might have something in the back that works for you.

TS
Kbat117

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
I understand completely. My suggestion in hit a couple shops, tell them what your (hard and fast) budget is, if they have something for you great, if not part friends and no hard feelings. They might have something in the back that works for you.

Alright, thank you for your help! 2nd tracks in Ogden (as mentioned previously) has had lots of new boots in my price range and with the specs I am looking for. Even a few Fischer Vacuum boots that I can have molded for free at Level 9 Sports in SLC.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Alright, thank you for your help! 2nd tracks in Ogden (as mentioned previously) has had lots of new boots in my price range and with the specs I am looking for. Even a few Fischer Vacuum boots that I can have molded for free at Level 9 Sports in SLC.
"Heat molding" is not the be all and end all of fitting, it is has it great but not a deal breaker if it doesn't.

Sponsor

Staff online