• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Heated ski socks for racers

bluefish

Booting up
Skier
Hello friends!
We're getting ready for another season and the question I have concerns other forum member experiences with heated ski socks - brand, etc. which can be used in close fitting racing ski boots. Thanks for your input.

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
Seem them used quite a bit. No problems. Only seem them on the Masters racers but they all spoke highly of them. I think some of them even had a heated underlayer!

abkaushansky@optonli

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
As someone who’s progressed from plug boots and a few cases of frostbite, I’d recommend staying away from heated socks for racing purposes. Having used heated footbeds for years, even trying cyan pepper once or twice, the best solution I have found to date has been a heated boot bag and an intuition liner (or equivalent and yes, the liner is the thinner race version). Usually good for 1/2 day in northeast. If you need more time or temps really drop, cover boots with neoprene covers.

rationale… socks are really expensive and unless your on the hill one day per week, having 4-5 pairs is stupid money. They wear out through both abrasion in the boot and washing, texture kind of funky compared to thin race merino wool socks.

Just my thoughts. If manufactures have addressed my issues above, please correct me. I would gladly pivot to new solution.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Lenz and Hotronic branded heated socks have been popular in the U14-FIS set in the east for several years now ...

Kids often have only one pair, and just ... don't wash them that much. Or only wear them on the coldest days.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello friends!
We're getting ready for another season and the question I have concerns other forum member experiences with heated ski socks - brand, etc. which can be used in close fitting racing ski boots. Thanks for your input.

wolcoma

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am not familiar with heated socks, but the Hotronic boot heaters my two girls used throughout their race careers in Lange custom fit boots worked great. It wasn't cheap but our boot fitter would grind the boots, do their cants, foot-beds, and boot heaters all at once, which kept my girls racing all the way through college. On the other hand, my son's toes didn't seem to get cold and he never used heaters.

Again I have not tried the heated socks, but usually while training and racing my kids would often change their socks. Anything to help your kids keep racing is a good thing.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am not familiar with heated socks, but the Hotronic boot heaters my two girls used throughout their race careers in Lange custom fit boots worked great. It wasn't cheap but our boot fitter would grind the boots, do their cants, foot-beds, and boot heaters all at once, which kept my girls racing all the way through college. On the other hand, my son's toes didn't seem to get cold and he never used heaters.

Again I have not tried the heated socks, but usually while training and racing my kids would often change their socks. Anything to help your kids keep racing is a good thing.

You should try them. A total gamechanger. After trying the Lenz socks I will never wear anything else.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a fair amount of experience with the Lenz and Hotronics socks. In my experience the Lenz 6.1 and the thin Hotronics fit similarly. Both of these socks are marginally thicker than a very thin race sock. They *might* be a problem with someone who has an extreme performance fit to their boots, especially in the toes/forefoot. I ski in a Nordica Promachine with 1cm behind my heel when I do a shell fit - I did make minor adjustments in the toe area of my shells to improve my comfort, although I probably would have been fine without making any adjustments.

I have been using boot heaters since the early 80's and probably could not ski without them - my feet get cold when the ambient temperature is below 60 degrees F. I have used various brands of boot heaters over the years, and my experience is that the heated socks are just better for keeping my feet from freezing. The important feature for me is the surround feature of the heating element in the toe of the socks that I buy - not all of the Lenz and not all of the Hotronics come this way. The Lenz 6.1 is currently the thinnest sock that they make and has a surround heating element. When purchasing Hotronics socks, you have to be a little careful: they sell "Classic" socks (with heating element under the toe only) and "Surround" socks (heating element surrounds the toe); they also sell "Comfort" (thicker) and "Thin" (well, thin) in both styles. I use the "Surround, Thin" socks. In my experience, both brands run a little large - size down if there is any doubt in your mind.

Interestingly, my feet tend to sweat a lot in regular ski socks, and I do not have this experience in the heated socks (either brand) - in the past I would need to use antiperspirant on my feet to prevent sweating - this has not been an issue with the heated socks. I have decided on the Hotronics as my go-to heated sock. I have two pairs and have not had any issue wearing them multiple days in a row.

The bluetooth function that each brand comes in is healful - Lenz has an rcB battery and the Hotronics system is XLP 2P BT. Generally, the Hotronics system is cheaper than the Lenz system., and both are more expensive than standard boot heaters.

wolcoma

Getting on the lift
Skier
Can you wash the heated socks? I love my Smartwool socks but need to wash and dry them.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can you wash the heated socks? I love my Smartwool socks but need to wash and dry them.

Yes. They even come with a bag to wash them in. 30C, gentle cycle, no problems.
But you should NOT hand wash them.

Burton

Getting on the lift
Skier
I wear the Lenz socks in snug Lange RS boots, so race-ish boots but not a plug boot. I use them for coaching in New England, and they're a game changer for long days standing on the hill. My kids use the Lenz socks in plugs. Fit seems fine. We each have only one pair because we like to be able to eat, too, and since we're in our boots 3 to 7 days per week, by necessity we have to get several wears in between washing. The socks have some wool in them, so the funk factor is not too too bad. I have had to darn the toes in them as holes opened up after maybe 40-50 days in them. I have the 5.0 version with the bigger battery pack. The 6.0 version is thinner, but also seems to have a MUCH snugger calf--think compression sock. Overall, I still can't believe I spent so much money on socks, and I was really annoyed when I got less than a season out of them without a hole, but having warm feet when I'm standing on the side of a race course for hours makes them one of my best gear investments.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have these...

As @bbinder said, they are not the thinnest of thin but they do a great job keeping the digits warm and don't take up a lot of volume as earlier generations did. I like how the heating elements wrap around the toes. When I am at ski test, sometimes I need to try boots and these are great in that I don't have to move over my heated insoles. I do like the Bluetooth aspect in that i can control them with my phone.

@Toddski13 to the SkiTalk Courtesy Phone.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've used Lenz 5.0 and 6.0. I tend to wear them twice before washing, in the mesh bag that they come in, and hang dry. They are lasting as least as long as normal unheated ski socks.

I'll have to try to 6.1 but it seems like it's out of stock every site I've looked.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've used Lenz 5.0 and 6.0. I tend to wear them twice before washing, in the mesh bag that they come in, and hang dry. They are lasting as least as long as normal unheated ski socks.

I'll have to try to 6.1 but it seems like it's out of stock every site I've looked.

It doesnt seem to me the difference betweet 6.0 and 6.1 is big enough to warrant buying a new pair.
The new battery packs however look very interesting and I will probably order one when the 2000 is available.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
It doesnt seem to me the difference betweet 6.0 and 6.1 is big enough to warrant buying a new pair.
The new battery packs however look very interesting and I will probably order one when the 2000 is available.
I'm a bit annoyed that I missed out on a USB-C powered charger by a season.

I got the Lenz 6.1 last season, and for an Eastern coach, they're a godsend. My biggest challenge has been figuring out which borderline-temperature days I want them and which I don't. Obviously, there's less downside to wearing them on a warm day (just don't turn them on), but given the cost and wear concerns others have mentioned, I'm trying to use them in a targeted manner.

I haven't tried shoving them into a plug, but they're definitely comparable to a fair number of ski socks I've seen.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As someone whose feet just perspire a lot, regardless of temperature, I can't see how heated socks could possibly work for me, short of winning the lottery to fund the operation. I absolutely have to wash socks thoroughly after one wearing. Even if I were willing and able to wash and dry socks every night while on a trip (I'm not), I just don't think they'd last long enough for it to be a reasonable expense. If they could get the price down to, say, fifty bucks a pair I might be more open minded about it.

Toddski13

Wintersteiger/Hotronics
Manufacturer
SkiTalk Sponsor
Any guess as to brand? These would have to work with a 92 last boot.
The Surround Thin or Classic Thin from Hotronic are objectively the lowest volume options. The Surround has a heating element that covers both the top and bottom of toes, the Classic only heats under the toes... so, objectively again, the Classic is the absolute lowest volume option. That said, with either Lenz or Hotronic there are no shortage of examples of athletes at every level using the socks in their plug boots. Battery cell technology is where the difference between the two brands really lies and if I'm reading your profile right and your kids are racing up in Maine, I wouldn't want to spend much time on Narrow Gauge with a battery pack that doesn't have the duration or capacity to keep up with that special brand of Sugarloaf cold...

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Jeez Louise, all you guys use heaters or heated sox?!!
I thought you were tough.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
What are the thoughts of socks versus heaters added to the insole? I was planning on getting heaters this year, and was leaning towards an insole, but perhaps socks would be a better option.

Sponsor

Staff online