• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Helmets/Goggle fit issues for medium/large head

Ritzy

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hey everyone,

New to the world of skiing to the point of buying my own gear. I have prior purchased goggles, but having them fit with a helmet for my head has proven very difficult. I have spent about 4 hours trying on a multitude of helmets/goggles at my local retailer, but the helmet either sits too deep on my brow, making the goggles too tall, or the goggles that aren't too tall are too narrow on my eyes, width wise.

Any suggestions on brands that have a shorter bucket on the helmet, as I am finding the Large helmet size to fit, where the mediums are very snug. Kind of needing a M/L helmet, short bucket and a wider faced goggle. Any help would be appreciated!

Matt Merritt

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At a ski shop in Salt Lake City the other day, while waiting for a friend to get his new boots worked on, I casually mentioned to a young salesperson that my helmet didn't fit with my new larger goggles. I told her that, in order for the goggles to fit, I needed to raise the front brim of the helmet to where it sat in a way that felt like how Dale Evans wore a cowboy hat. She asked me to go get them and proceeded to change the amount the adjustable back of the helmet dropped below the helmet. She handed the helmet back and said, "Try that." Perfect. I didn't know that the back was adjustable. Even though she wasn't familiar with my helmet's brand (Marker) she said most all helmets shared that particular adjustment. Worth a try for you, maybe?

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Have the same/a similar issue and this is what I've found, but in an XL helmet so bear in mind that's influencing the list:

Helmets that fit your description: Sweet Protection, Poc, Bollé. Maybe also Rossignol or Uvex (haven't tried em on, but noticed from looking. Rossis in particular appear to sit too high for their own branded goggles.)

Goggles: the bigger Sweet Protections*, the bigger Oakleys, the bigger Scotts. If you want something mid-priced: Dragon D1 or Uvex Athletic are good enough for the World Cup but have much lower prices. The Athletics are wide, tall but should work with the right helmet shape. Bit narrower than the others on the nose. (Might be an issue if you're wearing the goggles a bit higher so they don't pinch your nose). The D1s come with an extra lens, must be some of the best-priced quality goggles out there. With Sweet Clockworks, avoid the Max version if you don't want a tall frame. If you want something cheap but with a decent lens, Scott Fact fit well with an XL Sweet Protection helmet. They don't give the widest field of vision out there, but the fit itself is by no means narrow.
If you're looking at Poc, their goggles are surprisingly narrow for the size of their helmets.

Spendidly wide goggles that aren't as tall as those listed: Dainese Horizon. Dainese helmets come down lower on the brow than the above and the goggles fit flush with them, but the goggles are just about tall enough for a higher-fronted helmet (no gaper, though if the wind gets up, a tiny bit can get through).

*Haven't worn them but they go flush with their helmets.

Going by the full-shell race helmets here, might be a different story with half-shells.

This is just the stuff I've tried, must be other options available.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ritz, Matt's info is great. So...look for a helmet that gives you a great fit (that's important for great protection) and possibly has a height-adjustable suspension so it'll fit your goggles. I prefer a helmet with vents above the brim so air is drawn through to help keep the goggles fog-free. (I just peeled the mesh liner out of my Smith helmet, and it doesn't have a way to adjust the height.) You might email helmet companies and ask about height adjustability.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
From a quick search it looks like a term sometimes used for height- adjustability is "3d fit." Alpina and Uvex both seem to have it on some helmets. I also found an interesting short video on how to adjust the height on some Atomic helmets

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have a large head, and I switched from the Uvex helmet and goggles to the Sweet Protection ones this season. Love them so far; great fit and a huge field of view. These are the race ones, so might not be exactly what you are looking for, but still, quality seems to be top notch.

Attachments

• IMG_1839.jpg
    IMG_1839.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1842.jpg
    IMG_1842.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 63

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a large head, and I switched from the Uvex helmet and goggles to the Sweet Protection ones this season. Love them so far; great fit and a huge field of view. These are the race ones, so might not be exactly what you are looking for, but still, quality seems to be top notch.

Sweet Protection are good for oval shaped heads. For rounder heads they can be a torture device. Ask me how I know. :ogbiggrin:

TS
R

Ritzy

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I appreciate the responses! I will be going to my local shop here to try the atomics again and see if they have more option for the fit. The atomic helmets were what felt best prior to finding no goggles to fit them also!

jlambo72

Booting up
Skier
I have a large head, so I'm told, which measures 24 1/2". I lucked out with the Outdoor Master Kelvin. It fit well but at the end of the day was glad to get it off. I ordered a OM Diamond, and it fits better, but haven't used it yet. I ordered a large in both according to the sizing chart. Never had any problems getting any goggles under them.

Goggles are the same story. They had to be a large fit, and for me over the glasses. I ordered Bolle Supreme OTG and they were pretty awesome though the periferals could be better. This summer, I ordered Giro Method. They fit so well and over glasses and seem super comfortable. I can't wait to use them.

I'm also not willing to spend a ton on equipment since I only go a couple of times a year. In these cases, I was looking for a good bang for the buck. I can't say the same for my ski/boot shopping which may be my next purchase. I may end up spending a lot if I do it...

Tin Pants

Putting on skis
Skier
Hey everyone,

New to the world of skiing to the point of buying my own gear. I have prior purchased goggles, but having them fit with a helmet for my head has proven very difficult. I have spent about 4 hours trying on a multitude of helmets/goggles at my local retailer, but the helmet either sits too deep on my brow, making the goggles too tall, or the goggles that aren't too tall are too narrow on my eyes, width wise.

Any suggestions on brands that have a shorter bucket on the helmet, as I am finding the Large helmet size to fit, where the mediums are very snug. Kind of needing a M/L helmet, short bucket and a wider faced goggle. Any help would be appreciated!
helmets are like boots different ones fit different people, I do not fit giro helmets (ski or bike)my head shape is wrong I have a round head giro's fit an oval head try on lot's of brands

i

Sponsor

Staff online