• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help Choosing Between Stocklis

juankarmy

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi there, reaching out to the community for help.
I've been doing some research on Stockli skis to get my next pair and I've been recommended a few options I wanted to get the community's opinion on.

I've skied my entire life as a child, stopped for a good number of years and I got back to skiing 4 years ago.
I tend to prefer groomers, with a little bit of off-piste skiing, powder and back of the mountain. I'd say based on last season I'm doing around 80% groomers and 20% the rest, although I want to start exploring more off-piste for next season. I would say I'm intermediate - advanced, trying to really grow in the advanced level.
I'm a 5'7 (170cms) tall and 140lbs in weight.

I'm currently skiing a pair of Liberty v82 at 165cms.

1) If you could recommend an all-mountain Stockli for the type of skiing I described, which one would you recommend?
(Dealers have suggested SR88 @ 166 or the Laser AX @ 161)

2) Later down the road, looking to break up jobs and have one pair for more off-piste fun and one to really kill it at groomers at high speeds, which pairs would you recommend?
(Dealers mentioned SR88 or SR95 and Laser AX or SC Orea )

I appreciate your comments.
Thanks for helping out!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi there, reaching out to the community for help.
I've been doing some research on Stöckli skis to get my next pair and I've been recommended a few options I wanted to get the community's opinion on.

I've skied my entire life as a child, stopped for a good number of years and I got back to skiing 4 years ago.
I tend to prefer groomers, with a little bit of off-piste skiing, powder and back of the mountain. I'd say based on last season I'm doing around 80% groomers and 20% the rest, although I want to start exploring more off-piste for next season. I would say I'm intermediate - advanced, trying to really grow in the advanced level.
I'm a 5'7 (170cms) tall and 140lbs in weight.

I'm currently skiing a pair of Liberty v82 at 165cms.

1) If you could recommend an all-mountain Stöckli for the type of skiing I described, which one would you recommend?
(Dealers have suggested SR88 @ 166 or the Laser AX @ 161)

2) Later down the road, looking to break up jobs and have one pair for more off-piste fun and one to really kill it at groomers at high speeds, which pairs would you recommend?
(Dealers mentioned SR88 or SR95 and Laser AX or SC Orea )

I appreciate your comments.
Thanks for helping out!

On the first point: SR 88, AX, AR are all lovely ski, can't go far wrong with either of these. I'd probably go SR88 in this case.

On the second: How much do you REALLY want to kill it at groomers? What is your definition of high speed? For you know, if you REALLY REALLY want to absolutely destroy groomers, there is one particular ski in the Stockli line-up which will do the job.

Look at my avatar pic. ;)

These are not for the faint of heart tho, you have been warned.:ogbiggrin:

James

Out There
Instructor
AR if 80% groomers. Not sure your last point, “Killing it on groomers”. AR retuned will do that sort of. Both AR and AX come with large base bevels that aren’t really for killing it. Regardless, you’d really want a ski below 75mm.

There’s no definitive answer. Part of it is how much edge angle one starts a turn with. Part of it is “carving” 3-dimensional snow. If you do that the AR, even the AX works pretty well in mild off piste.

Part of it is personal preference.

LewyM

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@juankarmy, I see that you are based in Seattle. Where do you ski, what does a typical ski day look like (where do you like to go, areas, runs, terrain). That would help those of us with local perspective make a recommendation well-tuned to your narrative.

The V82 is an excellent all-mountain groomer ski. What are you looking to improve on? Is there something you don't like about that ski? Why only a Stockli? Do you have a deal or particular affinity for the brand? Or are you just hooked into the rumors of magical Stockli's pixie dust frequently trafficked on this board?

TS
juankarmy

juankarmy

Skier
On the first point: SR 88, AX, AR are all lovely ski, can't go far wrong with either of these. I'd probably go SR88 in this case.

On the second: How much do you REALLY want to kill it at groomers? What is your definition of high speed? For you know, if you REALLY REALLY want to absolutely destroy groomers, there is one particular ski in the Stöckli line-up which will do the job.

Look at my avatar pic. ;)

These are not for the faint of heart tho, you have been warned.:ogbiggrin:
Thanks!

For "killing it at groomers" I guess I was referring to going fast, short to medium turns and a lot of control and stability.

TS
juankarmy

juankarmy

Skier
AR if 80% groomers. Not sure your last point, “Killing it on groomers”. AR retuned will do that sort of. Both AR and AX come with large base bevels that aren’t really for killing it. Regardless, you’d really want a ski below 75mm.

There’s no definitive answer. Part of it is how much edge angle one starts a turn with. Part of it is “carving” 3-dimensional snow. If you do that the AR, even the AX works pretty well in mild off piste.

Part of it is personal preference.
Thanks! Yeah, for higher speed at groomers I've seen a lot prefer under 75m waist.
The AR seems too similar in spec to my current pair of Liberty v82, so that's why I was trying to veer off a bit from them, but they sound like a great option! Perhaps a future upgrade if I decide to sell my Liberty.

TS
juankarmy

juankarmy

Skier
@juankarmy, I see that you are based in Seattle. Where do you ski, what does a typical ski day look like (where do you like to go, areas, runs, terrain). That would help those of us with local perspective make a recommendation well-tuned to your narrative.

The V82 is an excellent all-mountain groomer ski. What are you looking to improve on? Is there something you don't like about that ski? Why only a Stöckli? Do you have a deal or particular affinity for the brand? Or are you just hooked into the rumors of magical Stöckli's pixie dust frequently trafficked on this board?
Hey Lewy,
Yes, I love going to Crystal (mostly going up there to be honest).
I also traveled for skiing for the first time last year and we did Vail, Breck and Keystone in CO.

I think my best day yet was going down some of the wide groomed runs at Keystone, where I could double down on speed and also length of turn (short to medium) -- I truly had a lot of fun! This is an area that I want to perfect, even faster speeds, feeling in control and being able to do short turns for a longer period of time without feeling too stressed or scared about it.

Off piste, Keystone was also great, we went to the top of the mountain a few times, hiked up and went down on completely fresh (semi deep) powder, all the way down to where the trees were. That was fun too. I'd love to improve maneuverability inside trees and handling deeper snow a bit better, although I still don't see myself spending most of my day in this type of terrain.

Moguls... I do like to do them sometimes but not a lot, I won't go out of my way to ski that type of terrain.

I love my V82! And I'd say they allowed me to taste that high-speed in control type skiing at Keystone's groomers. BUT, I find them a bit harder to move around when I need quicker turns, sometimes when doing moguls and trees.

No blind preference over stockli, just that I've heard great things by others who own them :)

Thanks!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks!

For "killing it at groomers" I guess I was referring to going fast, short to medium turns and a lot of control and stability.

I moved quite briskly today on the WRTs, like 50 mph briskly and this is FAR from their speed limit which I am yet to find, but lets say 70 is quite doable.
Dunno if this is fast enough for you.
Question is: how confident are you about your skiing? This only you can know.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

The V82 is an excellent all-mountain groomer ski. What are you looking to improve on? Is there something you don't like about that ski? Why only a Stöckli? Do you have a deal or particular affinity for the brand? Or are you just hooked into the rumors of magical Stöckli's pixie dust frequently trafficked on this board?
+3 These are the questions.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I moved quite briskly today on the WRTs, like 50 mph briskly and this is FAR from their speed limit which I am yet to find, but lets say 70 is quite doable.
Dunno if this is fast enough for you.
Question is: how confident are you about your skiing? This only you can know.
I know you like to goof around about this but there really are LOTS of skiers who emphatically would NOT benefit from this ski. Lots of them reading your posts and not asking aloud, either, like the OP was smart enough to do. In short, there is a certain amount of responsibility that comes with posting on a well respected ski site.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know you like to goof around about this but there really are LOTS of skiers who emphatically would NOT benefit from this ski. Lots of them reading your posts and not asking aloud, either, like the OP was smart enough to do. In short, there is a certain amount of responsibility that comes with posting on a well respected ski site.

Which one of the current Stockli line up would you suggest for, and I quote here" Kill it on groomers"? Emphasis on "kill".

As I said many many many times, if one is a timid intermediate, one SHOULD NOT touch this ski.
So I believe the responsibility part is covered.

In short, I plead Not guilty.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If it must be a Stockli, then the Laser SC 170 would be my choice to complement the V82 for the OP.

The Skitalk Ski Selector "Testor's Choice" shows lots of other suitable options for the OP.
Plenty of other good 70-ish wide skis to develop on. I happen to have new K2 Disruption STi 170 in transit to me, to go along with my Fischer RC One 82 GT 173.

I rented the WRT a couple of seasons ago. I loved it but knew it was too much ski for my daily needs. As I recounted to a friend, the WRT would be like having a GT3 RS as your daily driver. Heck, there is a nice set of WRT listed locally for sale for cheap -> I keep sniffing at it, but I'm not going to buy it ( though I really want to LOL ) !

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The WRT ST 172 is about the most precise carving ski I know of, and with more race ski-like bindings and plate, more so than any FIS race ski I've been on: not a ski for the OP's "intermediate - advanced" but progressing level, as yet, until he gets to advanced at least, IMHO. It's an expert/very good skier type of ski, designed by and for elite skiers, with a correspondingly high price tag. Sorry. (Yet it's a ski I've really loved, a standout, whatever odd level of skier I am.)

That said, groomer biased, just Stocklis, for medium-sized turns (Laser AR/c. 175, Laser AX 175), for short and medium sized turns (Laser SC and Laser AX); it's a different ski, with different lengths, you see, that I'd recommend depending on your preferences; also, say, for mostly shorter turns (Laser SC), or for longer turns (c. 180 length at least, whichever version) - or variable medium to longer turns (SR 88/17x; Laser GS 175 or so, or 180; Laser AX 175). That's a simplified version.

(I'm leaving out powder/crud, since the OP did that too.)

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As I recounted to a friend, the WRT would be like having a GT3 RS as your daily driver.

True. You need to know what you are doing. You need to be confident AND you need to be fit. These are not friendly or easy ski.

LewyM

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If it must be a Stöckli, then the Laser SC 170 would be my choice to complement the V82 for the OP.

The Skitalk Ski Selector "Testor's Choice" shows lots of other suitable options for the OP.
Plenty of other good 70-ish wide skis to develop on. I happen to have new K2 Disruption STi 170 in transit to me, to go along with my Fischer RC One 82 GT 173.

I rented the WRT a couple of seasons ago. I loved it but knew it was too much ski for my daily needs. As I recounted to a friend, the WRT would be like having a GT3 RS as your daily driver. Heck, there is a nice set of WRT listed locally for sale for cheap -> I keep sniffing at it, but I'm not going to buy it ( though I really want to LOL ) !
For Crystal Mountain, WA? To compliment a V82? For an intermediate? Come on, folks. We can do better than just share our own preferences.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I agree, a lot left out or not optimal, but the OP was very specific.

The V82 is a fan-shape/type carver, a good ski to introduce carving to intermediates, more than just a ski that fits a slot in a quiver. The OP asked for Stockli info, not info in general (even though Stocklis are mostly advanced to expert skis, with high cost). The lengths "dealers" recommended for him were very short: limiting type short (to shorter turns mostly). There was no mention of crud or Powder aspirations, only frontside carving improvement, on Stocklis in particular. The V82 would be a good transition/bridge to some of the Stocklis mentioned, so......

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Come on, folks. We can do better than just share our own preferences.

It is not about personal preferences. It is answering a very specific question, which was "I want a Stockli ski, which kills it on groomers and move fast". There are 3 or 4 obvious options: SC, GS, SX, WRT.

I find it mildly annoying when someone stops by, says something like: "I want a lightsaber" and the suggestions vary from pool noodle to whitewater kayak to You are not a Jedi yet.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It is not about personal preferences. It is answering a very specific question, which was "I want a Stöckli ski, which kills it on groomers and move fast". There are 3 or 4 obvious options: SC, GS, SX, WRT.

Do notice the preamble 'Later down the road'. When the 'later' alarm rings, we don't actually know ^those skis will be in the lineup. For that matter, the road itself might be in a bit of disrepair.

I find it mildly annoying when someone stops by, says something like: "I want a lightsaber" and the suggestions vary from pool noodle to whitewater kayak to You are not a Jedi yet.

When he is a Jedi, you will appear :duck:

(And fwiw, I find it massively annoying that objects with zero blade curvature are called ****saber)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do notice the preamble 'Later down the road'. When the 'later' alarm rings, we don't actually know ^those skis will be in the lineup.

When he is a Jedi, you will appear :duck:

(And fwiw, I find it massively annoying that objects with zero blade curvature are called ****saber)

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

All true. But "later" could mean anything from next month to somewhere around 2035, so I believe short term we are pretty safe with the above ski.

Laser SWORD sounds terrible man, let's keep it real here. And also-I am not an expert but I believe it is damn hard to make a curved beam of light.:ogbiggrin: Think about MASSIVE gravitational pull. Not gonna happen.

Last edited:

Sponsor