• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My soon-to-be 12-year old daughter, who skis the whole mountain parallel, can link her turns in moguls, steeps, learning crud, but is motor skill delayed (she just isn't a power house and lacks body awareness) is throwing me a loop as to what skis to buy her for the season. I feel that she is ready to be on a stronger ski than a foam core, yet I want to stick with an all-mountain ski with lots of sidecut. She is going to be in the Alpine Devo program this year, which is 15 weeks of weekly lessons with the same group of like-skilled skiers who will dabble a BIT in racing, but mostly are out there to develop into seriously strong, competent all-mountain skiers.

She's kind of an anomaly in that she doesn't fear steeps, moguls, or trees, but still kind of skids her way down just about everything. She also is very small for her age, at 4'9" and 60 lbs. She wears a boot that most 8 year olds would wear, at least size-wise. She IS in a 4-buckle Tecnica youth "race" boot. I think she really appreciated that added control she got from those boots last season.

She's been on Rossignol (see below) and does well on them. They are a foam core ski. I love the sidecut and big shovels as I do think they help with skill development. So, do I order the same skis and go up a size, or do I put her on something a tad bit stiffer that will give her more stability at speed (she does not fear speed, and tends to zip past me on the hill) :daffy:Do I get her a youth race ski, even though it might hinder her confidence skiing the whole mountain? (My better half says no, as she's not really going to be racing.) I also don't want her ass to be kicked on a junior race ski. Are there any youth skis out there that aren't foam core, that aren't race skis, but also aren't 90mm under foot? (The Sheeva junior would be a hoot since I ski the Sheevas, but 90mm under foot is frankly stupid for a kid her size.)

rahjc03_experience_pro_xpress_jr_fcfd031_xpress_jr_7_b83_black_white_rgb72dpi_01.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are some really nice combi skis for lightweights just like here, Head and Nordica offer them. The sidecut is between an SL and GS but most importantly, there is no race plate on them, so they are lighter and flex well. If going up in the mid 80mm range, the K2 Pinnacle 84, Elan Rpipstick 86 and Kore 87 (85mm underfoot in a 144) are options too.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Coalition Snow Poppy - especially if she fits on any of the sizes on discount on STP. Faction also makes a junior version of the Prodigy & the Candice 1.0.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There are some really nice combi skis for lightweights just like here, Head and Nordica offer them. The sidecut is between an SL and GS but most importantly, there is no race plate on them, so they are lighter and flex well. If going up in the mid 80mm range, the K2 Pinnacle 84, Elan Rpipstick 86 and Kore 87 (85mm underfoot in a 144) are options too.
Thanks, Phil. I think lengthwise-she'll be on about 130cm, as her current pair are 122s and the come to about mid-chest. I have to be careful not to go too long with her since she weighs so little. I'm kind of torn between getting her an all-mountain ski and something more race-oriented. Her lessons will almost ALL be out all over the mountain.

These?? (Composite core, though.) https://www.nordica.com/usa/product...el4=8100&product_uid=358519&color_number=RDBK

Or https://www.k2skis.com/en/skis/charger-jr-1819.html

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Coalition Snow Poppy - especially if she fits on any of the sizes on discount on STP. Faction also makes a junior version of the Prodigy & the Candice 1.0.
I am hesitant to put her on a twin tip or too rounded of a tail, but those do look good for non-racing.

This is hard! I don't want to "overski" her, but also don't want to hold her back by putting her on skis that are too soft. FWIW, L3 cert better half feels she is ready to move to a ski with a wood core. @4ster, thoughts?? You saw her last season at Targhee. She's not aggressive, but she'll ski down anything and usually have fun doing it. I wonder if a more "aggressive" ski will allow her to up her game a little??

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks, Phil. I think lengthwise-she'll be on about 130cm, as her current pair are 122s and the come to about mid-chest. I have to be careful not to go too long with her since she weighs so little. I'm kind of torn between getting her an all-mountain ski and something more race-oriented. Her lessons will almost ALL be out all over the mountain.

These?? (Composite core, though.) https://www.nordica.com/usa/product...el4=8100&product_uid=358519&color_number=RDBK

Or https://www.k2skis.com/en/skis/charger-jr-1819.html
Length wise, she should be at least chin height and even up to the bottom of her nose.

No, these Nordica... https://www.nordica.com/usa/product...el4=8100&product_uid=357435&color_number=BKRD

and

K2: https://www.k2skis.com/en/skis/pinnacle-jr-1819.html

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Length wise, she should be at least chin height and even up to the bottom of her nose.

No, these Nordica... https://www.nordica.com/usa/product...el4=8100&product_uid=357435&color_number=BKRD

and

K2: https://www.k2skis.com/en/skis/pinnacle-jr-1819.html

Those Nordica look promising. The turn radius on those Pinnacles :eek: I can't imagine her trying to turn those things LOL!
Have you looked at the new Blizzard Firebird Comp. Junior? Kind of a combi ski, and no plate. Partial sandwich construction.
My youngest is switching to these for this season.
http://www.firebirdrace.com/firebird-skis/#images-14

I did see those. I just don't know if I want to go that narrow for the type of skiing she will be doing.

Decisions, decisions...

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
wow, 4"-9" at 60lbs .. I thought mine was light at that height but 15 to 20lbs more ogsmile

I'm no instructor nor know ski's like others here but my personal experience with 3 kids, all when in that height range, and all leaning towards shorter ski's is as Phil noted .. least to chin ....

Given her lightness (check your scale! ) I can see where a wee shorter may work but I found with mine, as they went longer they found they performed more properly ... hell, I'll never come close to skiing with the form they possess but too, youth has it's advantages with less fear and as you are doing, mine were fortunate enough that we could afford lessons every year on trips.

Story aside, I never really put much thought to their specific skis but few had significant side cuts .. in my mind (which may be completely off for thinking this out) I felt they somehow benefited as they had to rely more on form than ski shape. But as noted, I may be way off on this but my kids (using the elders hand me downs) seemed to love a kids Atomic Race ski the best ...

I've never fought hard to find perfect equipment, had a few used ones bought and typically bought previous years models whenever possible, most for youth or if women's, not very stiff.

Latest for my "light" one .. who now spurted up to a stellar 5' -1" this last year .. was couple of K-2 close outs .. longer than she cared for. She was skiing (if memory is correct) older Elan that may be a 67 waist .. at just under shoulder. The K-2s are nose height and while she was apprehensive saying "these are soo long" tried em out and loved em, said they didn't feel greatly different.

I can check specifics but figure you have great specific recommendations from experts, my comments mostly related to shape and length which generally saying if for non race skiing, I'd trend to less shape and fret not length. The nice thing on the model year out ones, I could more readily afford to have some overlapping lengths for my kids ..

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The other thing I have to be cognizant of is she HATES crashing. Just like her mama, it tends to scare the bejeezus out of her, whether she gets hurt or not. I don't want to get her on skis that ski HER, then have her start crashing a bunch, and hate skiing.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
wow, 4"-9" at 60lbs .. I thought mine was light at that height but 15 to 20lbs more ogsmile

I'm no instructor nor know ski's like others here but my personal experience with 3 kids, all when in that height range, and all leaning towards shorter ski's is as Phil noted .. least to chin ....

Given her lightness (check your scale! ) I can see where a wee shorter may work but I found with mine, as they went longer they found they performed more properly ... hell, I'll never come close to skiing with the form they possess but too, youth has it's advantages with less fear and as you are doing, mine were fortunate enough that we could afford lessons every year on trips.

Story aside, I never really put much thought to their specific skis but few had significant side cuts .. in my mind (which may be completely off for thinking this out) I felt they somehow benefited as they had to rely more on form than ski shape. But as noted, I may be way off on this but my kids (using the elders hand me downs) seemed to love a kids Atomic Race ski the best ...

I've never fought hard to find perfect equipment, had a few used ones bought and typically bought previous years models whenever possible, most for youth or if women's, not very stiff.

Latest for my "light" one .. who now spurted up to a stellar 5' -1" this last year .. was couple of K-2 close outs .. longer than she cared for. She was skiing (if memory is correct) older Elan that may be a 67 waist .. at just under shoulder. The K-2s are nose height and while she was apprehensive saying "these are soo long" tried em out and loved em, said they didn't feel greatly different.

I can check specifics but figure you have great specific recommendations from experts, my comments mostly related to shape and length which generally saying if for non race skiing, I'd trend to less shape and fret not length. The nice thing on the model year out ones, I could more readily afford to have some overlapping lengths for my kids ..
Thanks, Pete. As to height, yes, to the chin is where I've targeted for her every year. Her skis are to her chest THIS year, but last year, they were to her chin.
And she really is TINY. (Taken last spring.)
8KJXV6Y8GTkGCl8__SrKE2g27uxUfZ04INatHhJzD6yi1sSvzPLsRFb8EM_-5BO71Gqkdq1jSQVcmmrbmtngMOvM30RTeO9ZRx1zkIBG5H5TIvXhOA_MrMfYetofNR5R4YQSv_BLeUXcMH4JIKCd6XvZySLZACiLWB_hkAeh6ATgPf6eEkO3YF07-oySht9d2NR-XUBFKgsnVpzYyjS9NIa1tkVO2UYV0CItXHxG3tNuUPf4Wyi42LyiIWbCzzOJnNu6UW9b3KdcLVGAW7VrICfbSaI5okEEY1Ajb5TmuEkLG3wSIJiM85DBIOS61FmtaQG5KVVkXbFlPnZkHG_MPi3wY2zQotIpJsfUj_Utm8V5GMtc0P7rvTlnQBauCUd42kT2rLBJ9UGkQukVL7y_1gfOBE8NtkNnQHQK2WfVKxXpKpSLpwcmhCiupkckcvGHa9UEBiV4Fj_y4W8kZVJTHgXzDlMUtdBZrFV1wwR0K60zoeR914ySbvJFSEyBTGqlZIuxx5gpUZ_UN274UIEH-8hQYD_0H2esBOOm0LOL4RoH_3sQvCFVdQr7XtYeFp8VPVs4I1fKmiUqpub2GHXqoYlCe_LCsDWKYCiNNKZKDOSDyciZwe8n9B5qNXa5nfSyLd8A21CjqmFwRmKXLQ6v-tuXDN9YyEMcbH_c18B1EXk=w946-h709-no

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
The newer models say wood. Not sure what year I have.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This was one of the two "cheapies" I picked up last year for her .. different length I think but hey, she loved the color over others I found and loves them as well on the hill. These with Marker Big kid bindings worked out pretty inexpensive which was simply a benefit for me ... I had no issue spending more but ..

These I think have quite a bit of cut .. other pair (didn't mount them last year but will this) had less side cut .. last year they were less but black friday sales are starting so your timing may be good for whatever you pick up.

https://www.the-house.com/8939k2spfw13zz-k2-skis.html

others as noted more traditional .. more similar to these but suspect "lighter". these are dirt cheap:

https://www.the-house.com/8924k2stkjk15zz-k2-skis.html

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Haha those pink K2s=she would never speak to me again! I guess I'm "lucky" in that she prefers the "boys" colors, which opens up a lot more options for me, at least for skis. Not so much for ski clothes.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ Great Photo

@Dwight Dang, I just need to buy at your shop ... didn't connect you sell. All the more reason for a road trip (and not that far as Menomomie Falls go)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
At her weight...yes, @PeteW she is so skinny she doesn't even cast a shadow ;), IMHO the most important thing is that she can actually bend the ski, she doesn't need width to hold her up.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I am hesitant to put her on a twin tip or too rounded of a tail, but those do look good for non-racing.

This is hard! I don't want to "overski" her, but also don't want to hold her back by putting her on skis that are too soft. FWIW, L3 cert better half feels she is ready to move to a ski with a wood core. @4ster, thoughts?? You saw her last season at Targhee. She's not aggressive, but she'll ski down anything and usually have fun doing it. I wonder if a more "aggressive" ski will allow her to up her game a little??
I don’t know that I am going to be of much help narrowing your choices. From what I recall she is not carrying a lot of muscle mass unless things have changed over the summer. Too stiff a ski is not going to help matters until she is heavier, stronger & able to maintain more flex, so I think a junior race ski is not it.

The Nordica and K2 pinnacle that Phil linked look like great skis & having both would be ideal. Not having a crystal ball and being able to predict what kind of storms and snow this winter will have in store I couldn’t choose one. For her overall skill development I would go with the Nordica. If I knew it was going to be a big snow year and I was more concerned with the fun factor, I would go with the Pinnacle or something similar. If I was your coach and had to choose just one right now, it would be a ski like the Nordica.

My little Buddy here is on a Volkl Mantra Jr. which is a great ski for an all mountain charger but probably a bit much for many kids
D78E3C5F-76F4-47FC-A105-17DF3870A759.jpeg

BTW, i’ve been skiing on twin tips for years and love them floor all conditions.

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ Great Photo

@Dwight Dang, I just need to buy at your shop ... didn't connect you sell. All the more reason for a road trip (and not that far as Menomomie Falls go)

I ski tune at a Play It Again Sports store. Most of the used skis are from resorts but pretty decent skis under 150cm. A new shipment came in this week full of the Rosi rentals.

Sponsor

Staff online