• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me pick a touring ski

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
1st setup, hybrid - will be going w/ Atomic Hawx Xtd 130s and Salomon Shift bindings. 6'0" 187 lbs somewhat aggressive we will ski pretty much anywhere that doesn't require mandatory drops or gaps, or no fall zones. Beginner tourer, have done it once to make sure it wasn't terrible - it wasn't - got the bug. Primary trip focus for these is Japan, in January 2023. Will have a chance to try out in southern hemisphere soon as well, hopefully NZ, or some side stuff in AUS.

This ski was recommended to me: https://www.majestyskisamerica.com/collections/clearance/products/superior
Also looking at this one: https://www.backcountry.com/faction-skis-agent-4.0-alpine-touring-ski

Goal is to pick up a good option right now last season sales - keep it under or around 500.

My touring skis are 102mm wide. I dont wish to go uphill with anything wider than that. My absolute max would be 110mm wide maybe? Most days (non powder days) you will be better served by a 90mm wide ski give or take a few mm. Just easier to handle on the uphill, trees and firm snow up in the alpine.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I guess it's more of a floaty pow ski for Japan with touring capability. Right? That's another use case for a 'touring ski' than something you would go out on old, technical snow with.

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
I guess it's more of a floaty pow ski for Japan with touring capability. Right? That's another use case for a 'touring ski' than something you would go out on old, technical snow with.
Absolutely this ^^^ goal is purpose built touring capable DEEP pow ski for Japan trip, that can be used in bounds on also deep days, some, until I need to switch back to something else in the quiver.

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Thanks @James I gave @Decreed_It my thoughts privately prior to this thread..... those are my words he is quoting at the start of the thread.....
yep! I didn't want to 'out' @Mattadvproject at the beginning of the thread. Got a very good recommendation from him I'm vetting for myself with the collective, uh, "wisdom" of the board. Yeah, wisdom, sure . . . :D

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
In your place, I would get the Black Crows Anima. That's just because I know that it handles resort crud and even groomers quite well too (compared to most other 110+ mm skis I've skied). Binding choice is not so obvious. I think I would go with the Tecton 12. I know it (big plus), I trust it, even charging a wide ski on hardpack.

(If touring was not in the use case, I would put Tyrolia Attack 14 or 17 on the Animas.)

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the Hawx XTD 130 with Mimic liner, shift bindings, Blizzard Zero G 108 skis. Love the setup. It works for me for a NE touring setup and soft snow inbounds set up. The Zero G is a light weight Cochise ski. For you, and thinking use in Japan, I agree go wider on the ski, 118 max though. Keep the weight down, 1850 grams max. You don't want to haul a lot of weight up hill. If you go with pin tech bindings, instead of shifts, then you can add some weight to the ski. but with XTD's and shifts, your already in the "heavy" category or touring gear. There are a number of skis in the 1600-1900 gram range that should work well for what you want. Blister tests a lot of wider touring skis, I would search their site. Even a Atomic ski like the Bent Chetler at 120 mm would be good.

Don't listen to the flak about the shift. You do need to learn how to adjust the AFD height and the forward pressure, but once you do its fine. Its not the most heavy duty binding, or the most intuitive, but its light for what it is so you give up something, and you don't have to take anything off the ski to use it. (like a Duke PT). I spend enough time fiddling with the skins, and clothes, I don't need removeable bindings too. If you wanted to save weight, you could go to pin bindings. AKA's are good, a lot of good choices. Since you are skiing in soft snow, pin's would ski pretty well. This whole category of gear comes down to you save weight by giving up "ride or suspension" and performance on hard snow. You are also limited on how heavy a ski, mostly in swing weight, that you can maintain good control over. My Zero G's are a really good performing touring ski on the down hill. But when I skied them at high speed through some frozen moguls, I almost crashed due to the ski flexing out of control. If you limit your setup to powder, you won't have any of these issues and can go lighter. To me, a ski over 1900 grams is just not worth it for dragging it up hill.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Another ski that you may want to check out in the width you are looking at is the Elan Ripstick 116 (or 106?). The 116 in 185cm comes in at 1900gr, which is relatively lightweight given it's a lot of ski. I have the 106 with Shifts and I feel it punches above it's weight. Pretty pleased so far.

James

Out There
Instructor
Hah, here’s an interesting ski. From Salt Lake and made in Salt Lake.

Wndr Intention 110 Cambered version
(Also have it in reverse camber)
185cm is roughly 1800gms in Blister, but 21/22 on Wndr says it’s 2000gms. 192 is 2100gms
I believe they changed the core to Aspen from Paulownia for durability and flex consistency.

—————
You can hear the whole story of WNDR’s creation in our GEAR:30 podcast below, but in short, WNDR was started when a biotech company teamed up with 4FRNT Skis founder, Matt Sterbenz, to experiment with new materials — particularly bio-based materials — in order to create both higher-performance and more sustainable skis.
——————

Eric Edelstein review-

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Japow hole has been filed by a custom Praxis Protest order
Lol. Nice! What build did you get?

Which leaves a One hundred-tens-teens gap for a (some??) less than deepest driest pow touring ski(s). Which this might fill. Yay more skis. This is getting worse than my bike habit.
Well there’s a screaming deal on a 116/185cm I shouldn’t tell you about. Almost as good as the Ogso but a brand you’ve heard of.

Last edited:
TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Lol. Nice! What build did you get?

Well there’s a screaming deal on a 116/185cm I shouldn’t tell you about. Almost as good as the Ogso but a brand you’ve heard of.
Went UL, std width, white birch top sheet and Tsunami graphic. Yeah that's totally cheesy for Japan, I know but, it looks rad. And I'm vain so there.

You could DM me the screaming deal . . . just sayin'

However, I'm kind of drooling over that Lotus since you brought it up if it's not that one . . .

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier

James

Out There
Instructor
These are all sold out (best I can tell) in 185 right now: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/2022-2023-dps-lotus-pagoda-117.26947/

Found these: https://cripplecreekbc.com/products/dps-112rp-pagoda-tour-ski

Since I filled the deep powder board quiver hole - could this be the perfect all-around touring ski to fill the gap between the Enforcer 104 and the 128 Protest? Off to Blister we go.
You want a powder touring ski for Australia?

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
You want a powder touring ski for Australia?

No - that feels like buying a powder touring ski for North Carolina. Maybe AUS is more like New England, I dunno. This ski would be the step down from deep dry pow slot. Slot between 104 resort ski and 128 pow boards, with hybrid bindings.

James

Out There
Instructor
Maybe AUS is more like New England, I dunno.
I think it’s worse. ogsmile By a lot. But I don’t know.
@geepers prob hasn’t skied NE, but maybe he’s skied Cyprus or Grouse n Vancouver which is prob more like NE.

I think if you toured in NZ you could get powder.
My sense of that 112rp Tour is it’s really for touring for powder. Meaning if you’re doing laps, you’re skinning up the whole way. Thus the lightness is worthwhile. Not so much take lift, then skin 15-30min. That would be better served by a lightish free ride ski with Shifts or Duke. They do make 112rp Pagoda in a non tour layup.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I think it’s worse. ogsmile By a lot. But I don’t know.
@geepers prob hasn’t skied NE, but maybe he’s skied Cyprus or Grouse n Vancouver which is prob more like NE.

I think if you toured in NZ you could get powder.
My sense of that 112rp Tour is it’s really for touring for powder. Meaning if you’re doing laps, you’re skinning up the whole way. Thus the lightness is worthwhile. Not so much take lift, then skin 15-30min. That would be better served by a lightish free ride ski with Shifts or Duke. They do make 112rp Pagoda in a non tour layup.

Not sure there's a huge difference in snow quality between Oz and NZ overall. There's short periods of good snow and then plenty of periods in the grip of melt/freeze. Too much of our winters hover around 0 deg C. (In Oz can be lucky with a week of great skiing after a storm but sooner or later the wind arrives from the NW blow-torching the alps with warm air from the inland.)

They are far enough apart that conditions are unlikely to be the same in both countries on any given week. Sometimes we get blessed with a good season while NZ does poorly and vice versa.

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Bump - running out of time to procure these before we move 2nd week of July.

Still looking for that perfect all-rounder touring ski to slot between my Enforcer 104 Frees and the custom Praxis powder boards (128mm!!!) - something 110ish +/- that can do most things when it's not deep freshies, variable conditions, blah blah blah. Hybrid-ish, i.e. could do lift & skin laps, or if I had to, a couple long laps skin only, but they don't need to be marathon fifty project capable (the skier is far from that so, ain't happening).

James had a great call on the Pagoda 112 but that might be a bit too much, and I think 94 is too small. Bonus points for on sale from last season.

What would you get and why? Already procured the Shifts to mount, need skis and skins.

TS
Decreed_It

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Hah, here’s an interesting ski. From Salt Lake and made in Salt Lake.

Wndr Intention 110 Cambered version
(Also have it in reverse camber)
185cm is roughly 1800gms in Blister, but 21/22 on Wndr says it’s 2000gms. 192 is 2100gms
I believe they changed the core to Aspen from Paulownia for durability and flex consistency.

—————
You can hear the whole story of WNDR’s creation in our GEAR:30 podcast below, but in short, WNDR was started when a biotech company teamed up with 4FRNT Skis founder, Matt Sterbenz, to experiment with new materials — particularly bio-based materials — in order to create both higher-performance and more sustainable skis.
——————

Eric Edelstein review-

Just took another look at these, they check pretty much all the boxes . . . now the tough part. 100 or 110? for ANZ, Japan . . . feels like 110 would be just fine even in 'Eastern' style conditions, it's "just" 1 cm more, right?

Sponsor

Staff online