• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me pick a winner: 80-ish EC ski

bjohansson

Putting on skis
Skier
Me: 64 yo, 6'0", 180#. Skied since I was 5. Used to ski hard, now I think I ski hard for my age but not like I used to.

What I have and love: Volkl Kendo 88 (177cm) and Dynastar M-Pro 99 (178cm), Blizzard Rustler 11 (not used on the EC).

What I'm looking for: High 70s/low 80s underfoot frontside carver that isn't going to demand constant attention.

I skied a day this year on Blizzard WRC Slalom and, while fun for a while, would make me crazy because you always have to be "on your game".

What I'm thinking:
Volkl Deacon 80: I know Phil wrote this ski up with high praise but want some thoughts in comparison with...
Elan Wingman 82Ti
Elan Wingman 82CTi
Dynastar Cross-Max 82

I still ski pretty fast (I rarely get passed but sometimes do), have other skis for bumps, trees, 3D snow, but want to be able to be lazy without being punished. Prefer longer turns and can really feel the 3D sidecut on the Kendos - I love that I can make them snap across the fall line if I pressure the middle of the ski.

SkiEssentials called the Wingman 82Ti an Intermediate ski (said it at least 4 times in the review). Don't want a ski that's going to fold if pushed.
Had a Ripstick 96 for a while and I'm not sure about the Amphibio tech. I skied them on the wrong feet a coupla times an didn't really notice a difference. Still, the Wingman 82CTi seems intriguing.
Not a lot of reviews for the Cross-Max 82.
Volkl seems like the obvious choice but I've seen some writeups that the Deacon 80 is more of a "progressing skier" ski. Again, don't want a ski that's going to fold on me.

What say you?

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
Look at some Head Supershapes? One of the wider variants? Got on an E-Titan and really enjoyed it.

Volkl also has the Peregrine coming out for 24/25 that replaces the Deacon. I regret not demoing those when I had the chance, as I took the Mantra 88 out multiple times and wasted too much time on the Blizzard Anomaly and Rossi Arcade.

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
The Wingman, both Ti and CTi are really good skis. Don't let the amphibio scare you off. I doubt you would be able to fold the Ti.

Some others to consider, K2 Disruption 82Ti (or 78Ti if you can find them, they are discontinued next year).

The Volkl Peregrine 80 and 82 are really fantastic. The 82 is beefier but both are really great.

Nordica Steadfast 80C, new for next year. The Steadfast 85 is also really great.

TS
bjohansson

bjohansson

Putting on skis
Skier
I really don't know much about the Head line. One of the places I'm considering purchasing from has:
e-Titan 84 underfoot is getting close to the Kendos that I love and will keep
e-Magnum 13M radius at 172 seems a little short for my goals (I'd get the 177)
e-Rally 14M radius at 172 is getting closer to what I was thinking (16-17M)
e-Original 12M radius at 170; nope
e-Speed 68 underfoot doesn't scare me but has the same TR as the e-Rally. Wondering what's different between the 2?
All are the same price.

TS
bjohansson

bjohansson

Putting on skis
Skier
The Wingman, both Ti and CTi are really good skis. Don't let the amphibio scare you off. I doubt you would be able to fold the Ti.

Some others to consider, K2 Disruption 82Ti (or 78Ti if you can find them, they are discontinued next year).

The Volkl Peregrine 80 and 82 are really fantastic. The 82 is beefier but both are really great.

Nordica Steadfast 80C, new for next year. The Steadfast 85 is also really great.
Amphibio doesn't scare me but in my mind, it's marketing hype. The price is nice on the Wingman 82Ti

IIRC, the Peregrine line is replacing the Deacons. Looking to take advantage of the discontinuation to get a good price if I go with the Deacons

LewyM

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I really don't know much about the Head line. One of the places I'm considering purchasing from has:
e-Speed 68 underfoot doesn't scare me but has the same TR as the e-Rally. Wondering what's different between the 2?
All are the same price.
eTitan skis very differently from the Kendo. It is less about width and more about shape and layup. The eTitan is much more damp, engages on groomers more precisely and powerfully, and requires a bit more attention off-piste particularly exiting the turn. It feels heavier than the Kendo. I thought that 18M'ish turn radius was nice and natural. Not too locked in, it could be manipulated into shorter radius turns and didn't balk. Skiable off-piste in junky conditions, but I wouldn't say that off-piste or large icy bumps are its prime venue. If you like the feel of traditional laminate construction, and you want a somewhat versatile ski biased toward carving on groomers, you might like the eTitan.

TS
bjohansson

bjohansson

Putting on skis
Skier

I'm liking the stats on the K2 78Ti. And the price is right. Thanks for the heads up on a ski that I hadn't considered. Haven't decided yet but it's a contender.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
All are the same price.

The eTitan engages faster, stays locked in easier, has a radius that is tighter for more turns and is just a completely different animal. The kendo dabbles in a lot, masters none. The Titan does the front side far better and is more fun.

James

Out There
Instructor
Amphibio doesn't scare me but in my mind, it's marketing hype.
It’s real and annoying. Elans are off the list with it for me. Plenty of others.

eTitan skis very differently from the Kendo. It is less about width and more about shape and layup. The eTitan is much more damp, engages on groomers more precisely and powerfully, and requires a bit more attention off-piste particularly exiting the turn. It feels heavier than the Kendo. I thought that 18M'ish turn radius was nice and natural. Not too locked in, it could be manipulated into shorter radius turns and didn't balk. Skiable off-piste in junky conditions, but I wouldn't say that off-piste or large icy bumps are its prime venue. If you like the feel of traditional laminate construction, and you want a somewhat versatile ski biased toward carving on groomers, you might like the eTitan.
Agreed. Spent about equal time on both, own the Kendo. (Wish the Kendo was made more like the eTitan for feel)

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Amphibio doesn't scare me but in my mind, it's marketing hype. The price is nice on the Wingman 82Ti

IIRC, the Peregrine line is replacing the Deacons. Looking to take advantage of the discontinuation to get a good price if I go with the Deacons
You're by no means a heavyweight like me, but since you ski fast I'd reconsider the CTi. I wore out an older pair of Amphibio 88, which was a stouter ski than the Wingman, and don't think it's hype. But the Head suggestion is also a good one. 177 cm?

TS
bjohansson

bjohansson

Putting on skis
Skier
The eTitan engages faster, stays locked in easier, has a radius that is tighter for more turns and is just a completely different animal. The kendo dabbles in a lot, masters none. The Titan does the front side far better and is more fun.
The Kendo's mid-ski radius is 15M. The 3D sidecut is real and I have no trouble changing a turnshape from 20+M to 15M midturn. That being said, the radius on the e-Titan is about right for me and the Heads do get a lot of love.
Rossi Forza 70?
According to Blister...."That said, if you want to truly and aggressively carve big GS turns, this isn’t your ski." As I noted, I'm looking for GS-cheater radius in a ski (16-18M). The Forza 70 has way too short of a TR for my liking.
You're by no means a heavyweight like me, but since you ski fast I'd reconsider the CTi. I wore out an older pair of Amphibio 88, which was a stouter ski than the Wingman, and don't think it's hype. But the Head suggestion is also a good one. 177 cm?
Yep, 177 to 180 has been my sweet spot for the last 10+ years

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Get what Dave has!

I have skied the i Titan for maybe 6 years now. It rips turns and it's fast (with a speed limit)... r13.7 for mine. It makes East Coast hills ski bigger. The i Titan (e Titan) would not be a great choice for Magic in my opinion. Look rather at the Head Speed line. Ask for help, but not from me.

And I would add a Nordica... Spitfire.

FIS slalom ski could be perfect.

Last edited:

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm 69, 5"6" and weight 155lbs. I just bought a pair of Deacon 80's. I also have a pair of Elan Wingman 86's. I also tried my friends Deacon 84's before I got the 80's.
Either Deacon will hold a great edge on firm/icy snow. I chose the '80s based on Phil's recommendation. Seeing as there's only around 3/16" difference in width, either ski would probably work for you.
The Wingman's, at least in the 86 width are more of an all around ski.

TS
bjohansson

bjohansson

Putting on skis
Skier
Get what Dave has!

I have skied the i Titan for maybe 6 years now. It rips turns and it's fast (with a speed limit)... r13.7 for mine. It makes East Coast hills ski bigger. The i Titan (e Titan) would not be a great choice for Magic in my opinion. Look rather at the Head Speed line. Ask for help, but not from me.

And I would add a Nordica... Spitfire.

FIS slalom ski could be perfect.
What's up Buzz? I gave Dave those skis for a reason. I tried another true race slalom ski this year to see if I was missing anything. Even at Stratton, they were too much. These skis are not for Magic...more for the weekdays at Stratton or Okemo where I can rip big turns. I'm doing 1,800 to 2,000 vert in one shot these days. Don't need to turn any more than what a GS-type ski will allow.
I'm 69, 5"6" and weight 155lbs. I just bought a pair of Deacon 80's. I also have a pair of Elan Wingman 86's. I also tried my friends Deacon 84's before I got the 80's.
Either Deacon will hold a great edge on firm/icy snow. I chose the '80s based on Phil's recommendation. Seeing as there's only around 3/16" difference in width, either ski would probably work for you.
The Wingman's, at least in the 86 width are more of an all around ski.
Thanks for the input. For an all-around ski, I'll fight anybody that says the Kendo isn't the best available. JK. Looking for something that is more groomer zoomer focused. My 84 year old dad is on the Deacon 80...he's been skiing for almost 80 years and swears they're the best he's ever been on but he only skis groomers. It'll be a hoot when we ski together next year and we're on the same skis if I decide to go with the D80s.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The title is confusing; do you want an 80-ish mm ski or do you want an EC ski?
If an EC ski head original Supershape, Fischer SC (or RC if you like speed), Stockli SC or SX.
As for forgiving, it's all about tuning, my SCs are very forgiving when tuned with a 1 degree base.

If you want an 80 mm ski, Deacons are a pretty good ski and not hard at all to manage.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Kendo's mid-ski radius is 15M. The 3D sidecut is real and I have no trouble changing a turnshape from 20+M to 15M midturn. That being said, the radius on the e-Titan is about right for me and the Heads do get a lot of love.

According to Blister...."That said, if you want to truly and aggressively carve big GS turns, this isn’t your ski." As I noted, I'm looking for GS-cheater radius in a ski (16-18M). The Forza 70 has way too short of a TR for my liking.

Yep, 177 to 180 has been my sweet spot for the last 10+ years
I think of cheater GS as 19-20 m radius, which matches many of my skis even if some are wider. I do ski some older Rossi Hero Elite LT in 183 cm at 20 m radius, but at 69 mm underfoot those are too narrow for your expressed needs.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah cheater gs is at least 18m

Heritage labs RC 85
IMG_2160.jpeg

21.8m @183cm
But not a cheater gs

Sponsor