• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Heritage Labs FL 105

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Certainly not common for these days anyway. Though we’ve been putting too much sidecut in skis recently. It’s shapely for 2000, and non existent shapely for pre 93. What are the other skis?
Hence the glory of Heritage Labs! Making skis that only a few nutjobs want to ski!
But how the flex integrates with the shape is way more important than numbers.

So how do you find the non metal construction? I’m interested to know the pluses of that.
What is the purpose of metal? I guess that's a question I found myself asking after spending a bunch of time on the FL105.

(That's a serious question, btw.)

James

Out There
Instructor
What is the purpose of metal?
Generally for torsional rigidity and dampening.
Comes in different thickness, and these days complex shapes and cutouts can be made with lasers/water jets.

There’s few decent piste skis without metal. XO, a Swiss ski comes to mind.

In general, brands “made in a garage” have stayed away because of bonding difficulties. I think even Sego stayed away and they weren’t that small. But Marshall isn’t making these in a garage, thank god, but contracted out.

Rc231

Booting up
Skier
The longer radius skis I have are 191 movement goliaths (r30) and 193 on3p gupergoats (r~30). I also have the mentioned b97s and a set of line blades for skiing with my son. I think the 20m radius of the bones is as short as I would want to go in an all mountain ski, keeping in mind my home mountain grooms like 2 runs and gets lots of heavy snow so they don't stay groomed long. The blades are fun for going slow so I only ski at 2x the speed of my 7yo instead of 10x like the 105s.
As for the metal aspect the fl105s are noticeably damper than the b97s which are supposed to be best in class for that aspect. I don't know how they compare torsionally but the fl105s aren't lacking there. I find metal can make a stiff heavy ski snappier for energy out of carves and I wouldn't buy a groomer ski without it but it isn't needed for a soft snow focused ski.

I anticipate replacing the b97s for rc85s at some point since I think that quiver makes more sense.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Generally for torsional rigidity and dampening.
Comes in different thickness, and these days complex shapes and cutouts can be made with lasers/water jets.

There’s few decent piste skis without metal. XO, a Swiss ski comes to mind.

In general, brands “made in a garage” have stayed away because of bonding difficulties. I think even Sego stayed away and they weren’t that small. But Marshall isn’t making these in a garage, thank god, but contracted out.
Yeah, that aligns with my belief. But the FL105, imho, is so much damper -- and quieter! -- than other skis I have tried in this slot. A ski like the M102, for instance, has more bite but is not as damp or smooth. I'd say it isn't as energetic, either.

So my point is if all of that can be achieved without metal, than why use it? I don't know. I won't even begin to claim any knowledge with regards to ski design.

Repeating what I heard someone else say: give me a stout wood core with lots of rubber, a super-durable base, and thick edges. That's what Marshal is producing, and I'm sold.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah, that aligns with my belief. But the FL105, imho, is so much damper -- and quieter! -- than other skis I have tried in this slot. A ski like the M102, for instance, has more bite but is not as damp or smooth. I'd say it isn't as energetic, either.
You can’t judge metal by the Volkl Mantra/Kendo Franken construction. That’s some weird stuff. There’s something in how they’re pressing it I think or the l mixture. who knows. Skis are more than the materials.

I’m just curious why Marshal says “it’s the most metal like non metal ski”. What’s the benefit in design? Something torsionally perhaps.

Rc231

Booting up
Skier
I think it's because most large companies use metal in their burly skis. I think the FL105s have a similar character to the ON3Ps I have skied in that they are heavy stiff and damp, but they also have much better torsional rigidity. I tried a woodsman 102 in this slot and it wouldn't hold an edge well enough for my tastes so it was flipped quickly. The FL105 has as much edge hold as I would want for this type of ski, borderline too much if the tune isn't right.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’m with @James - I’ve never loved a ski without metal on hard snow. I think that’s probably because of something about torsional rigidity of metal as a construction material but that’s very speculative on my part.

The takes on stiff and damp skis optimized for hard snow use I have used without metal tended to feel kind of boring on edge. Not all metal layups are equally good, but the Heritage R99 Comp and Dynastar M-Pro 105 are pretty close to my “perfect” in terms of feel. They aren’t the same, but I like things about both of them a lot.

I also think the 2010 Kastle MX88 felt great, but I’m not sure I trust my recollections back that far and perhaps some of the suspension was coming from younger joints. Unfortunately no layup offers that as a feature.

JShort

Getting off the lift
Skier
My favourite bad snow ski is the Salomon Xdrive 8.8, which, despite having no metal, says "TITANIUM" on the topsheets

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier

Look at all the bonding issues mantras have had, those definitely aren't built in a garage. Im no engineer but there must be something pretty tricky about gluing metal to wood in a contraption that is flexing a bunch of different directions.

Chewski

Booting up
Skier
Apparently, the FL105s that I ordered needed company, I just placed an order for FR120STs!

I'm already looking forward to next year!
I posted quite a bit over on tgr but this basically became my main 2 ski quiver this season for mammoth and a heli trip. It is honestly all you need out west 90% of the time

AltaSkier

I stick uphill ice...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I posted quite a bit over on tgr but this basically became my main 2 ski quiver this season for mammoth and a heli trip. It is honestly all you need out west 90% of the time
This is really my plan. My quiver has grown beyond being manageable, especially for travel. I'm looking to replace several skis with these two for travel. Since I only travel with two pairs since I fly, I wanted to get it down to two pairs that could realistically cover my needs on most of my trips. And it is easier to rent all mountain carvers then it is to rent pow skis/chargers if I find I need something different. I'm hoping to get my quiver down to a few travel skis, a pair of race skis and a pair of dad skis.

The only real gap I now have is a touring ski. Most of my time in the BC nowadays is slackcountry anyway, so I can probably do without a dedicated set up.

AltaSkier

I stick uphill ice...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Attaboy! I have the R120 ST on order. We can swap those back and forth, too!
After a few emails with Marshal (seriously great guy), I decided to go with the FR over the R. I was back and forth for a bit, but in the end I liked the idea of being able to throw them sideways to scrub speed with the easier tails. Plus, this will be a dedicated pow ski for me. However, I do really like the idea of the R profile. I agree, you and I need to develop a swap program!

Looks like I got the last pair of FR120STs in 187!

Full Trucker

Frikkin' Newb
Skier
Apparently, the FL105s that I ordered needed company, I just placed an order for FR120STs!

I'm already looking forward to next year!
Skis are like dogs... of course they need a buddy! I've got a pair of R105s and HB122s inbound this fall to keep my BC105s company.

This is really my plan. My quiver has grown beyond being manageable, especially for travel. I'm looking to replace several skis with these two for travel. Since I only travel with two pairs since I fly, I wanted to get it down to two pairs that could realistically cover my needs on most of my trips. And it is easier to rent all mountain carvers then it is to rent pow skis/chargers if I find I need something different. I'm hoping to get my quiver down to a few travel skis, a pair of race skis and a pair of dad skis.

The only real gap I now have is a touring ski. Most of my time in the BC nowadays is slackcountry anyway, so I can probably do without a dedicated set up.
If you like the 105 shape and do end up looking to get a dedicated touring setup, I cannot speak more highly of or recommend the BC105s enough. They are so, so good. I find them to be really playful, quite supportive, and float way above their waist width class. I'm 6'2" and two bills all day long and can't get 'em to sink.

SmileGuy

Booting up
Skier
anyone have a contact for him? I tried the website contact but didn’t hear back

arildGFB

Putting on skis
Skier
anyone have a contact for him? I tried the website contact but didn’t hear back
He reads mail pretty regularly, but I know he did take his family on a road trip this past week, so might be why your mail hasn't been seen to yet.

In other news, I'm entering a local freeride comp in a few weeks, and between the R105s,FL113s and FL105s, my money for the moment is on the latter. Conditions will dictate in the end.

Sponsor

Staff online