• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

High End Poles!

Levy1

Putting on skis
Skier
I read this issue a few years ago and had the same experience. I retired those Poles and bought the new design. The button is much easier to push and they've always come off.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It's a common misconception that they're designed to release in falls. You won't find LEKI saying that anywhere. Any releases that happen are incidental.

Actually, LEKI does seem to discuss release on their website now. However, at least for the older designs I have, they almost never release. And as far as I can tell, the mechanism works almost opposite of how you'd want it to for safety release. When the pole gets pulled away from the glove, it just pushes harder against the little lever, jamming it in place. The newer poles may be different.
They did recently change the Trigger to Trigger 3D or some such name. I tried some of @Tricia's older poles with my gloves and thought it was easier to reach the button. We also found it was harder to get her older glove loop in the new Trigger setup. There is some difference in the grip shape too.

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
15yrs of the same Goode carbon poles and no issues but then again I only use the straps in deep snow.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I use mismatched poles....... One pole a remainder from a 1989 pair, and the other from 2001. Same size. No issues. I picked up a few backup sets from my local ski area as at the end of season they leave all the singles they find strewn around in a barrel in their lobby so anyone can grab them. Size em up and walk away w/ a smile and free poles! I have 3 sets like this! Lose'em, break' em, go get more! :beercheer:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I use mismatched poles....... One pole a remainder from 1989 pair, and the other from 2001. Same size. No issues. I picked up a few backup sets from my local ski area as at the end of season they leave all the singles they find strewn around in a barrel in their lobby so anyone can grab them. Size em up and walk away w/ a smile and free poles! I have 3 sets like this! :beercheer:

You think you have 3 sets like this...your wife secretly takes random ones and puts them in the barrel :D

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I finally broke my second pair of 25+ year old carbon poles, I thought aluminum would be fine, and they were, but I more than kinda hated the weight.

Igotsoul4u

Booting up
Skier
I bought some Swix carbon poles last year and I have no regrets. They are effortless to move which makes for quicker and more precise pole plants. My wrists and elbows are thankful for any mercy. I also believe they translate less chatter/vibrations into my hands. If they snap I will buy another pair. Aluminum is 100% durable. I used the same poles from 1995-2021. Hand some memorable bends but they worked. My dads still using his ancient aluminum poles. The carbon has been a welcomed upgrade for me. Getting the right grip and basket are of course major factors that make or break performance.

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
The other benefit of carbon fiber is shock absorption. Skiing eastern hard pack with Al poles causes my wrists to become painful, not so after switch to carbon fiber. Would bamboo poles be a better option for both shock absorption and longer life?
Last season my younger son got a pair of composite poles, and as soon as I saw how well they flexed on our hardpack I got myself a pair.

Will probably restrict their usage to the local hills and take plain old aluminum out west - to easy to whack one against a tree or fall on on them in the bumps.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
This thread is making reconsider all carbon frame mountain bikes for the foreseeable future.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
In a previous post, I stated that shock absorption is a big plus, for me, of carbon poles. It has some years since I skied, and now use Al poles. (Note to self: never dispose of good old gear) My wrists are remaining me of why I transitioned from Al to Carbon.

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
This thread is making reconsider all carbon frame mountain bikes for the foreseeable future.
I've had carbon MTB for years. Done plenty of stupid things and had a few crashes. I've never had a problem.

Some friends have had problems with cracked chain stays, but that has been both aluminum and carbon.

I have had same pair of carbon poles for 20 years, and they are still going. I have fallen on them and seen them bend many times. They are scratched and gouged everywhere. (Life Link Variant Carbon--now defunct I think.) You can bend/break a pole easily in one fall--it just depends on the dynamics.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
My wrists are remaining me of why I transitioned from Al to Carbon.
Now that you mention it...
Skiing on groomed, I have been using very thin (LEKI) alu poles since some years now and the wrist pain has come back this season... weight wise (swinging as well) they are comparabile with my previous full carbon LEKI poles, but did not connect the wrist pain with the pole elasticity until now...time to activate the hybrid alu carbon poles I purchased two years ago...no, make that three years ago...

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Depends not all bamboo is the same. Sole Poles were really heavy and a high swing weight, the Grass Sticks feel a little more traditional.

As fas as overall durability of carbon, I have been usuing Carbon poles for over 30 years starting with the original Goode 10.4, I only broke one and that user error.
Same track record as Phil.
Broke one shaft of a BD flicklock. BD sells pole parts a la cart, so just replaced the shsft and used them another decade until the rubber handles failed. Same with the first set of Goodes... the grips died.

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
Does anyone have a source for LEKI pole grips? I’m looking for their race grip with a strap not the click in kind. I see plenty of them on TV at WC races. They do not show up in the LEKI website, and LEKI is unresponsive to inquiries. 18 mm diameter to fit aluminum shafts. I have tried and am not comfortable using the trigger type. I’d be willing to buy a few pair now on a special order for delivery Fall 2022. Any Euro sources? I’m going to be in Switzerland in March.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I don't know if it might work for what you are looking for (racing handles and straps), but when I had my carbon poles destroyed, I then went to the shop where I had bought them and asked if it was possible to get some spare parts to try to make then usable again: handles, basket, and tipss. They got them, had to pay of course, from their LEKI sales rep, and those were real spare parts not some refurbed parts hastily found. But those were normal spare parts and the shop was not a racing oriente one. Try and go to a ski racing specialized shop that sells LEKI and see if they can work that out for you. Even while in Switzerland. Since it might take a while, you better (if you know the names of a shop or two) work that out in advance.

Sponsor

Staff online