• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Home wax room

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
That's better than a tarp, but you're still walking around on the wax drippings. The problem is that typical vises hold the ski over the edge of the table. Better to move the ski back from the edge and keep most of the wax off the floor.
This.

I live in an apartment so don't have a dedicated space, but if I did I'd have the skis over something on the bench to catch dripping. And I'd have major focus on ventilation. In short, management of drippings, scrapings, fumes and dust would be high priorities.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I used to do the tarp on floor, but that got old with the number of skis I tune--way too many for myself, and I also wind up tuning for friends and family ( for craft beer or other barter :D ). I used to have one tuning bench that served as a tune and wax bench, but wax shavings and drips would always find a way onto the floor, or tarp, and then I'd have to manage cleaning and folding the tarp. Last year I finally got around to building a separate waxing bench. I actually built a new tuning bench, and then reconfigured the old one to a waxing only station.

It's an 18 inch x 74 inch plywood tray with Tools4Boards travel vises screwed to the top.
Here it is with a new pair of Rossi Black Ops Senders awaiting their mounting day.
1695645361283.png

The lip of the tray is just some scrap moulding I had hanging around. It does the job 100% of keeping wax off the floor. I quick hit with the shop vac and it's cleaned right up.

Another look. See the wax drips glistening in the light.
1695645420031.png

Don't mind the mess; it's a corner of our basement used for storage and such :)
1695645468759.png

And this is the new tuning bench. No wax sees this bench. This is just opposite the waxing bench so I can bounce back and forth while tuning and waxing.
1695645550348.png

Here's the Tools4Boards Travel vise. You can use the clamps or direct mount via screws. Of course you could DIY something to hold skis while waxing using 2x4s and rubber or carpet, but I had these and wasn't using them anymore for tuning so to the wax table they went. They work well for their new purpose. The slightly sticky rubber grips the ski nicely while scraping. I use the shop towel with hot iron method of wax removal, and that gets most of the surface wax off, but I do scrape after it cools and there's still wax that comes off with the scraper.

1695647621536.png

Steen275

-
Skier
I need some more ideas for containing wax scrapings and drips.. and also maybe some rotobrush?

my new tenants are also avid skiers! so ideas for outside wax room also welcome, I said they could do it outside their side of the house (renting out part of the house to someone on youth national crosscountry team)
I saw this years ago in a shop. Piece of plastic gutter from Ace or Home Depot attached slightly behind the edge of the bench top. It catches scrapings during scraping and then I just brush what's left into the gutter, then using wide paint brush shove them all out one end into the trash can.

Attachments

• gutter ski bench.jpg
    gutter ski bench.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 48

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I saw this years ago in a shop. Piece of plastic gutter from Ace or Home Depot attached slightly behind the edge of the bench top. It catches scrapings during scraping and then I just brush what's left into the gutter, then using wide paint brush shove them all out one end into the trash can.
@ScotsSkier has this too.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
That's a nice set up, but he key thing that makes it work is moving the vise back from the edge.

dm

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
That's way too much wax. Switch to an IR heat lamp and you'll have hardly any dripping. It's maybe not as fast as a iron but easier cleanup makes up for it.

dm
I don't drip now. I have thought about playing with an IR heat lamp. Donation welcomed. :)

Spinning Wheel

Booting up
Skier
I have limited garage space to my tuning able has to be somewhat mobile. I have a fairly sturdy router table on locking casters which actually makes a decent base. The plus side of this is that I also got to redo the table to be double sided.

My solution for wax dripping/scaping was to cut a concrete footing form in half and make catch trays for under the vice. I have a tendency to over-engineer things so built them with wood supports that attach magnetically to the tabletop (and yes, I painted everything Toko yellow for fun) So far, it does a pretty good job of keeping the floor clean.

IMG_4747.jpeg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Latest variation of my lazy, sloppy, bare minimum requirements home ski tuning set up. One of these days I'll invest in a real ski vise. Haven't used one since I stopped working at a resort..

Washer and dryer if it's too cold or raining outside, but I tried this today and it's actually pretty ergonomic and easy.

1708463999652.png

1708464043845.png

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Also, isn't there another massively long home tuning bench discussion thread somewhere around here? I'd be OK merging my post in there..

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Latest variation of my lazy, sloppy, bare minimum requirements home ski tuning set up. One of these days I'll invest in a real ski vise. Haven't used one since I stopped working at a resort..

Washer and dryer if it's too cold or raining outside, but I tried this today and it's actually pretty ergonomic and easy.

View attachment 226228

View attachment 226229
I like that but it would be more secure if you moved the vise close to the house and rested the tail of the ski on the corner rail.

Also, this is even better. Just as secure, and always ready without fooling around with vises:

skibench2.jpg

I gave a away the last vise I had and I wouldn't even think of getting another.

dm

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I like that but it would be more secure if you moved the vise close to the house and rested the tail of the ski on the corner rail.

Also, this is even better. Just as secure, and always ready without fooling around with vises:

View attachment 226241

I gave a away the last vise I had and I wouldn't even think of getting another.

dm
Ya I was actually thinking of securing the 90* in the center of the ski instead of one end or the other. I'm only toing to lightly touch up the sides so it doesn't need to be all that solid. Scraping wax is what I did today and the grill under the tips with the binding heels securing the tail end worked amazingly well. Nothing was scooting around at all.

As for rain I suppose I could set up under the patio umbrella. I grill under it all the time..

Sponsor

Staff online