• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How to Capture Steepness?

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With the effort he makes in getting pics of everyone else, I always tell myself I need to catch more pictures of our ski guide/photographer @Jim Kenney and never get enough. Even though I didn’t take it myself, the GoPro screen grab of him dug in on Great Scott snapping pics of Brandt is a favorite of mine

4C72219B-3E2F-4ECC-88C9-FB25716CBE97.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
It looks like they’re near the bottom or is that an illusion?

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Castor from chairlift:
1330693380_pic5.jpg

Vince and I found Castor one day in 2012 when we were poking around an intermediate run called Bambi up on the ridge above it. As we diverted left off Bambi we suddenly dropped into Castor woods, holy crap!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
As we diverted left off Bambi we suddenly dropped into Castor woods, holy crap!
If you get in there from Bambi, it's definitely a sudden drop! I've not skied it, but I've looked down it a few times.

Last edited:
TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Castor from chairlift:
1330693380_pic5.jpg

Vince and I found Castor one day in 2012 when we were poking around an intermediate run called Bambi up on the ridge above it. As we diverted left off Bambi we suddenly dropped into Castor woods, holy crap!

If you get in there from Bambi, it's definitely a sudden drop! I've not asked it, but I've looked down it a few times.
Grump always takes us in over a minefield of poorly buried rocks so he can then chastise us for not following directions carefully. You know, like, "I warned you to watch out for those invisible rocks." :rolleyes:

Any other entrance is probably well worth exploring.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Grump always takes us in over a minefield of poorly buried rocks so he can then chastise us for not following directions carefully. You know, like, "I warned you to watch out for those invisible rocks." :rolleyes:

Any other entrance is probably well worth exploring.

Luke, use the force. The rocks may be invisible but you should be able to feel their presence beneath the snow. :cool:

There is a whole upper section of Castor but only skiable during very good snow year. There is a rock band separating the trees on top from the open part of Castor.

The entrance Jim skied drops you into the skier's right of the open section of Castor. No excitement, no gnar points. Most of the time, we get to Castor through Pollux. Adventure tree skiing at its best.

James

Out There
Instructor
Grump always takes us in over a minefield of poorly buried rocks so he can then chastise us for not following directions carefully. You know, like, "I warned you to watch out for those invisible rocks."
So @KingGrump and @SBrown are similar in leading styles? Minus the chastising.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hiking, cycling, skiing ... How do experienced outdoor photographers capture pitch? Where should I stand with respect to the athlete and the hill? What should I make sure to include in the frame? What should I crop out? How should I leverage portrait vs. landscape orientation?
I am not a photographer, there are few simple rules...

No trees or piles behind heads (unless it's intentional :ogbiggrin:).

Colour balance (since I'm slightly colour blind I just white balance the camera).

I always try to shoot as slow as possible for action shots (all shots, gives me the best results), just fast enough to get the details I want.

Watch your vertical frame setup, it controls your sense of pitch. This can increase (or decrease) the perceive steepness.

Some of this was advice, some experience shooting well over 20k of pictures at swim meets.

Sponsor

Staff online