• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How to deal with a dull spot

obsessed

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello all.

I am semi new to tuning and really just tune for my family. No racers, just a family who likes to ski Sugarloaf. That being said I do want our gear to handle the very common hardpack/ice that is common at the 'Loaf and I like it sharp.

So I have a couple questions concerning side edges.

Pretty much all of our skis have gotten dinged by loose rocks here and there. It manifests on the edge as a rough area at the edge rather than a sharp corner, seems like it is most often underfoot. My typical repair game plan is to check the sidewall height hit it with a Coarse stone, then file, then a Medium, maybe a fine stone. I check to see if it is sharp by dragging a BIC style pen down the side and see if it shaves it. From time to time (especially on some of my skis I bring in the woods) I just can't seem to get these areas sharp again.

What do you guys do?

-Just leave the small spot dull?
-Extra passes to just the one spot?
-Bring it to a machine?

Speaking of machines, does a machine take off more or less than two passes with a file?

Thanks again.

-T

TS
O

obsessed

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Definitly not the side wall. I cut that back and then used a file set at like 5 or 6 degrees to make sure I cut that inner area back.

Sponsor

Staff online