• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review Intermediate-Kore93, 90Eight, Kendo, Enforcer 93, FX95 HP

Idahosnow

Putting on skis
Skier
Free Demo Day at Sun Valley. Gotta love free!! I’m 5’8 165 pounds and would probably be considered an upper intermediate skier. So, these reviews are from someone who’s not as skilled as most reviewers in both skiing and describing skis. Therefore, I’m probably not doing these skis the justice they deserve. My current ski is a 165 Dynastar Sultan 80.

Weather/Snow: 25-40 degrees. Conditions were quite hard in the morning with some stashes of wind-blown powder. Later in the day there was still hard snow with some excellent cream cheese sections. Groomer skis were probably the best choice, but I wanted to test some wider choices.

Runs: I skied each ski from top to bottom (3400 feet) sticking mainly to blue runs with short sections of black diamond connectors. I was primarily on the groomers due to conditions but ventured off on the sides to see how each would handle. I also skied each another ½ run from top to mid-mountain as the snow was better up top.

Head Kore 93 180cm: This was the first ski I got on. I was pleasantly surprised at how it was doing on the very hard groomers but not very energetic there. I was careful with my turns in the harder areas at first as I was washing out a bit. Once I got a feel, I knew what to expect. When I found some blown in powder, they came to life and were fantastic. I loved how light weight these skis were on foot. I handed them back thinking, “I could own these.”

Volkl 98 177: Another great, wider ski. Loved how light-weight these were. They didn’t hold an edge as well as the Kore 93 but I expected that. In the softer stuff, they were awesome. A bit slow for me edge to edge and not a great pick for the day. On a soft day, I think I would be very happy on these.

Volkl Kendo 177: Wow! I was ripping on this ski in both the hard and soft snow. No issues with edge hold at all, but I could easily skid some speed off if I needed to. I know this was a much better ski choice for the day, but they were so much better than the first two for me. They felt perfect. Full of energy and very precise. Felt light as well.

Head Kore 93 180 again: I grabbed these again to make sure it wasn’t just the changing conditions that made me think the Kendos were so awesome. Again, they were great and were holding an edge better as the snow softened but not wowing me as the Kendos did. Perhaps a tad long for me. On a softer day these would rock.

Enforcer 93 177: Awesome ski. Nice and damp. Held turns with ease. I could ski all shapes and skid some speed if needed and I needed to cause I was flying. I felt very confident on these. They like to go fast. They didn’t feel quite as good as the Kendos carving the groomers but were better off the groomers. Only gripe is that they felt a bit heavy on the feet but that is why they are so damp I suppose. Would probably get used to it. I could definitely own these.

Kastle FX 95 HP 173: My legs were toast at this point, and I had been trying to ignore that there was a Kastle or Stockli booth (why try something you can’t afford…..right) I wanted to jump on the Kendo one more time but it was out. I thought, “hey, you might as well.” This was the only 170 something left in the Kastle booth. Holy Moly, it was like I just drank a Redbull! I was flying on this ski and in total control. It felt perfect. I forgot how tired my legs were. Yes, the snow had mostly softened at this point so not the fairest comparison. Even so, this one was a winner. Only gripe is a bit of tip chatter. Didn’t affect performance, but the sound was a bit distracting. I got on the Kendo once more for a final run. Still awesome, but not quite Kastle awesome? Wish I could have tried the 181 version but that’s okay. I think that just a little big for me.

Wrapup: Wish I could have tried an SR 95, but they were gone the whole day (again, too expensive for me.) All these skis were great. Not a dud in the bunch. I would happily own any of them. I’m starting to see why people have ski quivers. The Enforcer and Kendo make the most sense for me in Sun Valley. I will probably end up buying a Kendo. They are popular here. I can easily find a gently used pair for a great price. Kastle was awesome, but twice the price better? Probably not. I shouldn't have skied that one :doh:.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice write-ups , thanks.
The deals are out there on the premium skis if you keep your eyes on the lookout and act quickly when you see a deal.
Scott / Dawgcatching often has deals on Kastle & Stockli, with end of season discounts, demo skis, & customer consignments.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Interesting take on some of the most popular skis of the year. Thx for posting!

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Nice write-ups , thanks.
The deals are out there on the premium skis if you keep your eyes on the lookout and act quickly when you see a deal.
Scott / Dawgcatching often has deals on Kastle & Stockli, with end of season discounts, demo skis, & customer consignments.

as a matter of fact. @dawgcatching is having a sale right now......

why demo a kastle or stockli? because you should get a feel for what a premium ski offers and what it brings to the snow. It provides another level of performance to compare other skis to.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I so agree about demoing. I never got the chance to demo Kastle or Stockli but found great prices on one of each so took the chance based on great pricing, reputation of the brand and people's comments. I ended up not loving the Kastle LX82 but my Stockli Laser AX is another story. Skiing the stockli was the equivalent of catching that perfect wave or a really good cup of proper english tea. I still love my Volkls and my Atomic Redsters but skiing my Stockli Lasers put me on another plant. Just positively orgasmic, can I say that on here :).

TS
Idahosnow

Idahosnow

Putting on skis
Skier
Nice write-ups , thanks.

Yes, I figured that there might be some deals on Kastle out there this time of year. I will definitely be watching. I have also seen amazing deals on Kendos late in the season (under $400 with bindings.) I was kind of surprised at the skis that I liked considering that I really didn't like the Brahma and Bonified when I tried them last year. I figured, the metal was just too much for me. This time around, I really liked the skis with metal. Makes me wonder if it was a tuning issue. I don't think my skills have improved that much since then.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, I figured that there might be some deals on Kastle out there this time of year. I will definitely be watching. I have also seen amazing deals on Kendos late in the season (under $400 with bindings.) I was kind of surprised at the skis that I liked considering that I really didn't like the Brahma and Bonified when I tried them last year. I figured, the metal was just too much for me. This time around, I really liked the skis with metal. Makes me wonder if it was a tuning issue. I don't think my skills have improved that much since then.

I love skis with metal and hate both those skis. I just don't get along with Blizzard.

Sponsor

Staff online