• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Iphone 14 and iWatch fall detection

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
The Iphone 14 has crash detection and the Iwatch has fall detection. Guess what happens when they are on and you fall on a ski hill? 911 is automatically called. So if an ambulance/police show up randomly, this could be why.
This is happening in the Midwest now.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
SWAT your local ski hill LOL! Seriously though, doesn't the algorithm have some kind of delay where only sends said 911 call when the user does not get back up and become mobile again a couple minutes after the fall? I think it also has a pop up asking if you're OK to disable it.. But it should disable itself before sending the call if you're back and moving again shortly after the incident that triggers it.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Iphone 14 has crash detection and the Iwatch has fall detection. Guess what happens when they are on and you fall on a ski hill? 911 is automatically called. So if an ambulance/police show up randomly, this could be why.
Girl on our highschool mtb team had it happen all the time while riding her mtb, not crashing mind you, or even hitting the bike park, just riding XC trails, and then it would alert her parents unless she hit the ‘cancel’ button. This happen every few minutes!

I think they are designed for a more sedentary lifestyle.

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
Easy enough to turn it off. I had a similar situation with my Apple watch. My ski glove was pressing the crown, which by default calls 911. I ended up wearing the watch with the crown opposite my hand to prevent it from happening again.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My I-watch doesn’t call 911, it sends me a message: Hey Klutz, did you trip again? Try watching where you’re going.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier

was under the impression it works that way too, IDK, according to the following Chloe had to swipe the cracked screen to initiate :huh:

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for this. Niece dog bumped her phone of night stand at night and was contacted by the police.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for the heads up on this. On the iphone14, to turn off the “call after crash”, go to settings, Emergency SOS, and the button is about midway down the section.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil has the iPhone 14 and apple watch and he did this yesterday.
No issues.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Phil has the iPhone 14 and apple watch and he did this yesterday.
No issues.
View attachment 186884
I can't get it to play in my browser for some reason... but hitting the three dots and downloading it worked! It's glorious in full screen resolution on the laptop. :P

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I can't get it to play in my browser for some reason... but hitting the three dots and downloading it worked! It's glorious in full screen resolution on the laptop. :P
I'm guessing it only runs on a MAC or IOS/Safari. I could hear the audio FWIW..
1672066108363.png

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
So the issue had hit the mainstream media ( https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/03/health/apple-watch-911-emergency-call.html ) as 911 call centers got annoyed by the false alarm from Apple phone/watch.

Apparently, the issue of false warning is somewhat unique to skiers: "skiers, in helmets and layers of clothing, often do not to detect the warning, so they may not cancel the call or respond to the 911 dispatcher."

In the meantime, some mountains are suggesting skiers to disable the alert while skiing. Though chances are, once disabled, it won't get turned back on at the end of the day. (not that it's such a big deal, unless you hit a telephone pole on your drive home).

So what has people been doing with their latest Apple device? (I'm on the verge of upgrading my phone, so there's a real interest beyond just curiosity)

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Apple needs to fix this, not us. If I had it as it currently exists, I would disable it permanently. Good idea, bad manifestation.

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
My phone is either in my inside pocket of my shell jacket or in the shallow top pocket of my backpack, and I can hear the alert without issue. This is because yesterday after hitting the deck pretty hard, I heard it plain as day.

I had it in the backpack because my clothing for the day (vintage ski wear) lack pockets deep enough for the phone. Also, the voice that calls out to you is loud (and bizarrely cartoonish sounding) and was easily heard through the helmet liner/ear muffs.

One other thing, I haven't triggered the alert with any quick stops on the run or at the bottom, I guess I don't ski fast enough lol

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Merged the two apple watch/iphone threads.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have been wearing an Apple Watch for work, backcountry skiing, and mountain biking for about five years. I have had it go off a few times that were fortunately not real emergency situations. I have always been able to hear it and feel the vibrations from the watch to be able to quickly disable it before it notifies EMS. I really don’t understand why people aren’t able to hear and feel the vibration, and disable it.

Sponsor

Staff online