• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is more than 100 gram weight diff on skis acceptable?

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So got myself a new pair of skis (again) and looking over them I can see a visible difference in the titanal length on plates underfoot on the ski, its not massive, but when I put them on scale, (which I always do) I found a 102-103 gram difference between them. I've never, seen this much weight difference, not even on chinese made cheap skis, so it has me worried.

my concerns are they will not be identical in stiffness/feel as resin/layup probably is different. Is this just me beeing stupid/anal? $$ wise they are the most expensive ski I've paid for in a few years, which adds to the.... not so big stoke on the purchase.

I'm contacting the store , and also checked their inventory, they have had a sale over the weekend, and sold out of this exact ski and size..., so walking in there asking nicely just got a bit harder :|

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Was wondering if that was a typo when you listed the weights of the 2.0! Yes, it is not common for that big of a disparity between skis as most are 20-30 grams or less and I have had many within a couple of grams of each other.
My latest Wildcats are 70 grams different between skis and that’s the largest I’ve ever had. Luckily, the lighter one is my “weaker leg” left ski so I figure that is okay. Lol
I have seen a few pairs of the new Rossignol Sender Squad skis listed by people with over 100gram differences between the pairs so it does happen.

If the graphics are the same on the ski it would be an easy swap to match with a similar weight ski but trickier if they have left/right graphics. I assumed all companies would pre-weigh their wood cores in their supply to get similar left/right pairs as the wood core weight is the biggest variable but not sure if that always happens.

TS
A

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is the serial number the same on both skis?
jup same serial, seller are trying to figure out howto handle it and responded quickly so thats good, but as they are out of stock both on central storage, and in store its just a tad harder than I hoped. They said they will reach out to importer/mfg.

greg_k 10 grams, me 102-103 grams ;) maybe a monday pressing? hehe

@GregK the titanal support plate near edge(bottom), are yours same length on both skis? mine are not

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
... was going to post a new thread, but found this thread already on topic:

So I have 3 new unmounted skis here, and just weighed them for the helluvit:

2023 Mindbender 99ti 184 with weights of 2095 & 2096
2022 Ranger 102 FR 177 with weights of 1768 & 1829 ( about 60g diff )
2021 Faction CT 2.0 178 with weights of 2128 & 2186 ( about 60g diff )

I'm a big golf nerd, and do lots of my own club-building, and build / re-build my sets to various non-standard models when it comes to total weight, swing-weights, length increments, and lie angles, etc. Not only is @Noodler a big ski tech guy, he is also incredibly well versed / experienced in golf club build methods ( visit GolfWRX tech forums ). Both of us will fret over fractions of grams, millimeters of length, and 1/2 degree changes.

60g diff in Left & Right skis seems like a lot -> I can readily feel it in my hand.
But I can easily feel 2g diff in a golf iron, and also very small swing-weight differences too, so I am sensitive / accustomed to such things.

Would any of you compensate for a large difference in your Left & Right ski weights by adding a weight to your ski ?
... say adding weight to the ski surface between the toe and heel binding pieces ?

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
We are only talking about 3% to 5% weight difference between skis. Totally acceptable.

If the snow builds up on your ski:
150 cm long X 8 cm wide X .5 cm thick = 600 cubic centimeters.
Density of wet snow is .2 g/ cubic centimeters. 600 X .2 =120 g of snow built up.

Will the snow build up evenly on your 2 skis? Does this small amount of weight really matter?

I have not noticed this at all.

AlexisLD

Getting off the lift
Skier
my concerns are they will not be identical in stiffness/feel as resin/layup probably is different. Is this just me beeing stupid/anal? $$ wise they are the most expensive ski I've paid for in a few years, which adds to the.... not so big stoke on the purchase.

100g difference is quite a bit. That being said, the weight would not be my main worry. My main worry would be stiffness. 100 g over 2000 g is only 5% difference, but if you assume that this change is coming from a thicker core, that weight increase would translate to a 15% bending stiffness difference (stiffness is proportional to thickness cubed). You could get much more than that at the tip/tail (assuming it is a fixed thickness offset in the core machining).

It could be other things also like more or less tip spacers, more resin, denser wood core, etc. You could also use the rough difference in the dimensions of the titanal plate to estimate if the weight difference is coming from there. E.g., 5 cm difference in length x 10 cm wide x 0.05 cm thick x 2.7 g/cm^3 = 7 g.

If you want to investigate in more details, you could measure the thickness of both skis at different points (with a resolution of <0.1mm) or do a 3-point bending test to get an idea of each ski bending stiffness.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you can detect 60g in a ski blindfolded, I'll buy you a beer. 30 tries..

How close are you to Waterloo, I like beer ;) :thumb:

I also don't like when one of my skis has lots of snow on the tips and the other does not -> I will flick it off on the lift, or before my descent.

Anyway, just curious if anyone does anything to match the weights.
It's the off-season and time to talk about both useful & useless stuff.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
How close are you to Waterloo, I like beer ;) :thumb:

I also don't like when one of my skis has lots of snow on the tips and the other does not -> I will flick it off on the lift, or before my descent.

Anyway, just curious if anyone does anything to match the weights.
It's the off-season and time to talk about both useful & useless stuff.
I'm in Etobicoke... :ogbiggrin: could be there in 45 mins..

I'd be more worried about the flex differential as @AlexisLD mentioned. Skis are so heavy I don't think the weight differential matters to be honest.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Have measured and felt weight differences in my skis when in my hands or on a scale but never noticed it while skiing.
Don’t notice for the following reasons I think

-snow sticking on them during a run
-the “heavier one” being on my stronger leg —the fact that my skis are 2200gr plus so a 70gr difference(my largest) as a percentage is small.

Could try adhesive car wheel weights that you could get from any place that mounts and balances tires. 1-2oz(56gr) weight stuck on your ski under the Center of your ski boot and you’d be even weight wise if you wanted a summer project. Lol

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As others mentioned, I'd be more concerned about flex characteristics and longevity over time than about weight differences. If there is too much resin in the layup, it could affect the bonding over time. Or not. Hard to say.

TS
A

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
100g difference is quite a bit. That being said, the weight would not be my main worry. My main worry would be stiffness. 100 g over 2000 g is only 5% difference, but if you assume that this change is coming from a thicker core, that weight increase would translate to a 15% bending stiffness difference (stiffness is proportional to thickness cubed). You could get much more than that at the tip/tail (assuming it is a fixed thickness offset in the core machining).

It could be other things also like more or less tip spacers, more resin, denser wood core, etc. You could also use the rough difference in the dimensions of the titanal plate to estimate if the weight difference is coming from there. E.g., 5 cm difference in length x 10 cm wide x 0.05 cm thick x 2.7 g/cm^3 = 7 g.

If you want to investigate in more details, you could measure the thickness of both skis at different points (with a resolution of <0.1mm) or do a 3-point bending test to get an idea of each ski bending stiffness.
they let me change them, they even had different thickness.... measurable with calipers.

new pair was within 10-20grams iirc.

my best yet is brahmas, at 3gram difference

Sponsor

Staff online