• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

J Skis Fastforward

ricky64

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Any more user impressions during last season? Debating between this and the Line Blade Optic 96, ON3P Woodsman 96, 4FRNT MSP 91, and this as a better low tide ski. Preference for side mountain and bumps, but want something that locks into hard snow better than my wider ON3P skis, which I love in 3D snow.

Last edited:

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier
Exiled from VT, trying to ski off the Capitol Dome
I still really like mine, but I have thought about dropping them for J's new Joyride sticks. Every other ski in my quiver is loaded with metal or carbon fiber and are stiff charge beasts. I got to ride some Joyrides last year out of the prototype fleet and really liked them. Same quickness as the FF, but softer and very easy to butter and jump around. Less grip, certainly, and there's a speed limit on them. But I have a great set of V76s for days when I want to slice and dice.

If I had it to do over again, I'd pick the Joyrides just for quiver diversity.

ricky64

Skier
I still really like mine, but I have thought about dropping them for J's new Joyride sticks. Every other ski in my quiver is loaded with metal or carbon fiber and are stiff charge beasts. I got to ride some Joyrides last year out of the prototype fleet and really liked them. Same quickness as the FF, but softer and very easy to butter and jump around. Less grip, certainly, and there's a speed limit on them. But I have a great set of V76s for days when I want to slice and dice.

If I had it to do over again, I'd pick the Joyrides just for quiver diversity.
Thanks. Not a lot of chatter about this ski on the forums...

ricky64

Skier
Just put in an order for 174's. I've spent my last 10 years on ON3P's in Colorado. Love them on 3D snow, and love the dampness and pop of the bamboo core. They are a lot of work trying to carve (and not skid) shorter radius turns on hardpack (when skiing with kids), and trying to fly through the bumps (interestingly, also a kid issue, as they go Mach 10 down the blue/black bumps). I've done quite a bit of research, and the FF seems to be the lone lower 90's ski that offers more EE for given length, will give some precision in initiating carves on hardpack, should be good in bumps and trees, fun on little jumps, and damp/powerful. Really can't find anything else in this equation, aside from maybe a custom Folsom.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just put in an order for 174's. I've spent my last 10 years on ON3P's in Colorado. Love them on 3D snow, and love the dampness and pop of the bamboo core. They are a lot of work trying to carve (and not skid) shorter radius turns on hardpack (when skiing with kids), and trying to fly through the bumps (interestingly, also a kid issue, as they go Mach 10 down the blue/black bumps). I've done quite a bit of research, and the FF seems to be the lone lower 90's ski that offers more EE for given length, will give some precision in initiating carves on hardpack, should be good in bumps and trees, fun on little jumps, and damp/powerful. Really can't find anything else in this equation, aside from maybe a custom Folsom.
With the very similar 21 Faction CT 1.0 selling out, the FFWD is the only 90ish “playful charger” left right now.
I’m sure you’ll love them and they look great too!

Muggydude

Booting up
Skier
Anyone have any good comparison for the Fastforward vs the Masterblaster?

seems like the fastforward would be a better choice for a purely hardpack /no new snow and spring skiing use case? I like to ski a lot of bumps and trees, ski pretty fast but not always driving the tips super hard. These will be for low tide days and spring skiing in Tahoe - so some warm mashed potatoes, crud, and refrozen are all on the menu.

Wondering which ski will end up being more stable and better busting through chop. More heft but also more rocker for the Masterblaster it looks like.

5’10 200lbs, would probably get the 181s which are on the short end for me but not looking for a GS ski

Sponsor

Staff online