• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

K2 2016 Pinnacle 95 Review and Factory tune

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied my wife's brand new K2 Pinnacle 95 skis last night in pretty firm snow and 25-30F temps. They were 177 cm long, which is way to short for me in this ski (6'4", 240lbs), but I wanted to try em out. They are also last year's model, which has been called a "clown shoe" which is exactly what I thought after a couple of runs. They were probably the easiest turning ski I have ever been on. Did a good job absorbing the hard lumpy slopes. These are pretty soft forgiving skis, but definitely not noodles. Seemed very stable too, although I didn't get them up to any significant speed. The big negative I noticed is they didn't carve for sh**t. When I said they were easy turning, I mean easy to pivot and toss around. My wife has not skied them yet, and I want to make sure they are dialed in before she gets on them. I decided to check some reviews, and sure enough saw several complaints about total lack of grip on ice. Most everything else agrees with what I said above.

When I got home I checked the edges and the factory tune felt pretty poor in terms of angles and sharpness. Whoever out there thinks that "factory tune" numbers are appropriate, sorry to burst your bubble. They can be all over the map, and for these skis, not what you want. I checked the base bevel to make sure its not greater than 1.0 and found one edge of the ski to be 1.0 and the other edge to be 2.0. Checked the other ski and same thing. The side edge angle was about 2 degrees. The edges were well polished and medium sharp. K2 should be ashamed to sell a ski with base bevels as high as 2.0 and inconsistent. I recently bought a Moment Bibby Pro ski for my son and it came with an impressive 0.5 base, 2.0 side tune. It was changed to a 3.0 side and it skied great on the east coast. I also read on the Moment website they bought a new Winterstieger tuning machine this year, and it shows.

So I decided to turn dialing in my wife's skis into a base tune experiment. I sharpened the side edges to a 3 deg angle and left the bases alone since I couldn't put a 0.75 angle on without a base grind. I made sure the edges were Very sharp and off I went to ski last night. There was a little more snow on the hill than the previous night, which helped edged grip a bit, but the skis were vastly improved. I could easily roll onto the edge and find grip. They were no where near my race skis, but that wouldn't be expected. I like the skis a lot more and felt pretty comfortable pushing them a bit at speed, even over boiler plate. I tried to feel the difference in the base bevel as one ski had the 1.0 edge on the inside and the other the outside. I couldn't really claim to tell the difference, which surprised me. I chalk most of the improvement up to the edges, and a small amount to the snow. I also noticed the skis weren't quite as easy to pivot, but I think that is what having a sharp edge that will grip does for you. All in all, I would call it a success and I will have the skis base ground by the end of the season to fix the base bevels.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When I got home I checked the edges and the factory tune felt pretty poor in terms of angles and sharpness. Whoever out there thinks that "factory tune" numbers are appropriate, sorry to burst your bubble. They can be all over the map, and for these skis, not what you want. I checked the base bevel to make sure its not greater than 1.0 and found one edge of the ski to be 1.0 and the other edge to be 2.0. Checked the other ski and same thing. The side edge angle was about 2 degrees. The edges were well polished and medium sharp. K2 should be ashamed to sell a ski with base bevels as high as 2.0 and inconsistent. I recently bought a Moment Bibby Pro ski for my son and it came with an impressive 0.5 base, 2.0 side tune. It was changed to a 3.0 side and it skied great on the east coast. I also read on the Moment website they bought a new Winterstieger tuning machine this year, and it shows.
I have seen inconsistant tunes from every manufacturer..including Moment and even the premiums. This is why we suggest that all tunes be checked.

TS
ScottB

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wanted to update this thread on the Pinnacle 95's in terms of the ski review aspects. My wife has a new pair of 177cm skis that are replacing her very old Head Monster 78's (the cult skis). She is an intermediate skier and can ski her monster's well as long as she is on smooth groomers. She skis blues and greens. She will struggle a lot if the snow gets heavy or clumpy. Spring skiing is not for her. That is all changed now with the Pinnacle's. She skied them quite well in some clumpy soft sugar/slush snow yesterday at Wachusett Mtn in Massachusetts. I guess we easteners like names that end in "sett". Anyway, the skis are very stable in the clumpy stuff, pivot very easy even in grabby snow, stay on top of the slush, and are very light weight. She was very comfortable on them and really enjoyed them. With the sharp edges and race tune I put on them , she had no problems with grip on the scraped off icy patches. She was even talking up the "pretty" green color of the skis. All in all, these made her a better skier in challenging conditions and both she and I are very happy with the purchase. She skied them a few weeks ago in much colder and firmer conditions and they did equally well. Here is a picture of the skis for those not familiar with them.

k2-pinnacle-ski.jpg

ChrisFromOC

Putting on skis
Skier
Wanted to update this thread on the Pinnacle 95's in terms of the ski review aspects. My wife has a new pair of 177cm skis that are replacing her very old Head Monster 78's (the cult skis). She is an intermediate skier and can ski her monster's well as long as she is on smooth groomers. She skis blues and greens. She will struggle a lot if the snow gets heavy or clumpy. Spring skiing is not for her. That is all changed now with the Pinnacle's. She skied them quite well in some clumpy soft sugar/slush snow yesterday at Wachusett Mtn in Massachusetts. I guess we easteners like names that end in "sett". Anyway, the skis are very stable in the clumpy stuff, pivot very easy even in grabby snow, stay on top of the slush, and are very light weight. She was very comfortable on them and really enjoyed them. With the sharp edges and race tune I put on them , she had no problems with grip on the scraped off icy patches. She was even talking up the "pretty" green color of the skis. All in all, these made her a better skier in challenging conditions and both she and I are very happy with the purchase. She skied them a few weeks ago in much colder and firmer conditions and they did equally well. Here is a picture of the skis for those not familiar with them.

k2-pinnacle-ski.jpg
Glad to hear that the tune made them work better for her. Sounds like it was worth the investment of time to figure out the problem.

Sponsor

Staff online