• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

K2 BFC (70, 90, 100, 120) Ski boots for the wide foot. Wide as in dirigible hangar, C130 wide.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
My old ski boots were size 27.5 (Mondo) just to get the width I need. Then I had to customize them with new buckles and straps so my huge calves could fit into them. Even with all that, they were uncomfortable at times.

Today I went boot shopping and found a boot designed for feet like mine that are almost as wide as they are long. These things are COMFORTABLE, yet snug. I really think I'm going to like them.

I tried on the K2 BFC 100 (built for comfort) size 26 and they fit my feet. Without resorting to modifications, stretching, etc. The only downside was the flex of 100 was a bit soft. So the shop is ordering in a pair of K2 BFC 120 (stiffer) boots for me.

Granted, I have not been on the snow or stood in them yet for a full day. But just based on the ski shop fit, I find that they "hug" my foot overall. Spreading the forces against the full shape and surface area of my feet. Rather than feeling like a vice that squeezes the widest, thickest part of my feet and calves, these boots feel like they are ACTUALLY SHAPED LIKE MY FEET.

I'm getting last year's model to save some bucks.

If your feet are not those elegant narrow things, but rather resemble Hobbit feet or bear claws, I encourage you to take a look. I'll be updating this once I get these onto the snow for a few days.

I think you'll get a kick out of this review of them: They call them "dirigible hanger" size. :)

=====================================================================

The Gist​

It’s got GripWalk soles and a cuff release called an après Mode, so you might guess what sort of skier target K2’s gunning for with the B.F.C. (Built For Comfort), but then it’s released in a military matte black and 120-flex like it means to ski or something. It’s confusing—it touts its Hands-Free entry but still has a traditional polyurethane overlap shell with 4 buckles. Testers had no problem figuring it out—it’s the cushiest, best-skiingest wide load on the market, and has been for a few years, except that now it’s a bit lighter and crisper (can a couch be crisp?) turn to turn.

The Fit​

While it’s called a 103mm last, the B.F.C. fits as roomy or more so as any boot on the planet. It was rated the most room of any boot in the test, in every fit parameter we test for: toebox, forefoot, navicular, instep, ankles, heel and calf. It’s big, get it? And soft in terms of its liner feel against the foot and leg. About this bigness and softness, testers said: “Pillows of love,” “Big, cushy, comfy Cadillac,” “The toebox looks like and fits like a C-130,” “Yuge, bigly.” And yet testers say it still manages to hug the foot, in an open way, and approximates the human form, just ins outsized proportions. The calf fit is prodigious to begin with but it is also adjustable to even make it yuger.

Performance​

Every year the B.F.C. surprises testers all over again with how well it manages to ski given how big it fits and how cushioned the liner is and how much range of motion the après Mode actually offers. Granted, the thicker the testers’ foot and leg, the more they tap into its mojo, but the average score for dynamic balance was a 4.67 and the edge power score was a 5.50—that’s pretty damn good. Of course the convenience and warmth score was a perfect 5.00. Is that a performance score? For this skier it is! Testers did confirm that it will in fact go on without any hands, and it practically leaps onto the foot if you kick at it while its après Mode is in the open-mawed-Seymour feed-me position. Stance angles are all neutral and work fine for every tester it seemed.

Cool Features​

Testers liked the new Cushfit Pro liner which they said kept all the cushiony goodness of old but seemed to add a little more anatomical shape and hold around the ankles and heel. The calf-adjusting upper cuff adds a major custom fitting bonus for guys with massive steers, not just calves, and top of that the shell is oven-cook-and-wearable just in case this dirigible hanger of a boot isn’t big enough for someone. We didn’t think the après Mode actuator could get any easier to use but it is, and testers couldn’t say enough about the 40mm Velcro power strap. No, only kidding, it’s just a

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And to my amazement the boot is made in a 22.5. If I need new ski boots I will definitely try them.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Intrigued. I just got a Recon LV & at 98, are about the biggest 98 I’ve seen.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have put quite a few people in the BFC, it is a good HV boot especially the newest generation which is more atomically designed.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Intrigued. I just got a Recon LV & at 98, are about the biggest 98 I’ve seen.
It is a generous 98 but as @Tricia said in her review, it is an optical illusion in fit, lit looks much higher volume than it skis.

jwilli

Getting off the lift
Skier
Heat Moldable shell if you really need to stretch it out as well. I joke that the BFC actually stands for 'big f'ing calves', but I have customers where this was the only boot where they could get the upper shell buckled.

In general K2 did a good job of making a super HV option that still skis well. Glad there are options for all the different foot shapes out there.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've been in the K2 Anthem Pro the the better part of two seasons. (147 days) Women's version of the Recon LV in 120 flex.
In my experience, it is an odd feeling because it feels like it could be roomy but my foot doesn't move inside the boot at all.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
It is a generous 98 but as @Tricia said in her review, it is an optical illusion in fit, lit looks much higher volume than it skis.
I've been in the K2 Anthem Pro the the better part of two seasons. (147 days) Women's version of the Recon LV in 120 flex.
In my experience, it is an odd feeling because it feels like it could be roomy but my foot doesn't move inside the boot at all.

The heel hold appears to be superb! I got the whacky looking 120 plus; very excited to try it out.
A36EE662-D56C-4576-AB37-A80B634EAC72.jpeg

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The heel hold appears to be superb! I got the whacky looking 120 plus; very excited to try it out. View attachment 179403
Its just nuts how it feels like the boot is roomy but your feet stay put in the boot.

The only caveat I have is that I started with knee high nylons when I was breaking them in,(which I wore for about 75 days of use. Then I switched to a thin ski sock, which is what I've been wearing every since.

I love those rad colors. :)
Mine are black :(

Last edited:
TS
pchewn

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
UPDATE:

The original shop I tried on the BFC 100 and ordered the BFC 120. I put a 1/2 deposit and ordered in September. By the end of November -- still no boots. They claim K2 was not able to ship them.

So I went online and found in-stock at another local shop. Bought them there. And I now have 7 days skiing on them.

Result: Absolutely the best boots I've ever worn for my feet. After 7 days I'm starting to feel the center balanced position for these boots. I do notice that I have to pull my feet back a bit more than on my old boots -- but that's OK.

So yes, a satisfied owner of new boots with no major work needed on them.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
In post number 1 the OP listed the last as a 103 and that is wide by most standards. Are they calling it a 98 or is it a 103? I have seen mixed last sizing in the past by Technica on their 102 model and on the box it was marked 104 or 106. It is tuff to follow or does it get wider as the boot size increases?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In post number 1 the OP listed the last as a 103 and that is wide by most standards. Are they calling it a 98 or is it a 103? I have seen mixed last sizing in the past by Technica on their 102 model and on the box it was marked 104 or 106. It is tuff to follow or does it get wider as the boot size increases?
Tricia references and optical illusion of a fit in her 98 mm Anthems. Since the new BFC's share the same DNA with a 103 mm reference last. we expect the same type of fit. Also, the sizes are indeed scaled, the volume does go up with the sizing.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Result: After 7 days I'm starting to feel the center balanced position for these boots. I do notice that I have to pull my feet back a bit more than on my old boots -- but that's OK.

So yes, a satisfied owner of new boots with no major work needed on them.
A good fitter might be able to do some fore & aft alignment adjustments for you. Skiing better easier is always a good thing.

Sponsor