• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

K2 Mindbender 90ti vs new Blizzard Brahma 88

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Post purchase dissonance...!

So for an “Eastern” (read Australian) all mountain ski, which would you pick?

I‘m an Australian 200lb advanced but not expert skier. I tend to prefer wood core, metal laminate skis. However, I tend to ski more at 80% or 90% than 100% or 110%. Amongst coaches or friends I’m considered to be very “technical”, meaning technically correct. I ski predominantly small to medium to large medium turns, on and off piste. Off piste is mainly simply ungroomed but somewhat consolidated snow, but can also include bumps. I assume I like a stable feeling ski. If it snows notably I’ll pull out wider skis (rare in Oz). My go to skis the last 5 years have been a Blizzard Brahma, and Salomon Qlab.

The new Brahma looks to be too excessively geared to on piste skiing now, with a more exaggerated tip in particular. However, I worry the Mindbender will be less grippy and stable on piste than I’d like.

what is the forum wisdom?

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
The K2 is a bit more forgiving, and likes off piste. The Brahma is a bit angrier, excellent edge grip, rewards skills. Off piste is no problem for anyone with solid skills. Personally of the two, I prefer the Brahma. The new size splits are money, but that's only speaking for myself.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Post purchase dissonance...!

So for an “Eastern” (read Australian) all mountain ski, which would you pick?

I‘m an Australian 200lb advanced but not expert skier. I tend to prefer wood core, metal laminate skis. However, I tend to ski more at 80% or 90% than 100% or 110%. Amongst coaches or friends I’m considered to be very “technical”, meaning technically correct. I ski predominantly small to medium to large medium turns, on and off piste. Off piste is mainly simply ungroomed but somewhat consolidated snow, but can also include bumps. I assume I like a stable feeling ski. If it snows notably I’ll pull out wider skis (rare in Oz). My go to skis the last 5 years have been a Blizzard Brahma, and Salomon Qlab.

The new Brahma looks to be too excessively geared to on piste skiing now, with a more exaggerated tip in particular. However, I worry the Mindbender will be less grippy and stable on piste than I’d like.

what is the forum wisdom?

Between those two the Brahma hands down.

Reactions: BMC

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Between those two the Brahma hands down.
You spelled Mindbender wrong. ;) Seriously, between these two, it is really hard to say, whatever split you are looking at it is at 60/40 max either way. I really like both skis. As far as the Mindbender lacking on piste, I will beg to differ, I really like the turn in of the ski, the tip initiates very nicely.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
You spelled Mindbender wrong. ;) Seriously, between these two, it is really hard to say, whatever split you are looking at it is at 60/40 max either way. I really like both skis. As far as the Mindbender lacking on piste, I will beg to differ, I really like the turn in of the ski, the tip initiates very nicely.

To be clear, the mindbenders shine off piste, and are super easy in bumps.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

The Mindbender 90's are indeed very nice but the Brahmas just felt a bit more polished on piste. Both are good skis. Hard to find a "bad" ski nowadays really from the main mfg's, maybe a bad tune, thats it

TS
BMC

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
A post alleviating post purchase dissonance! Thank you!:golfclap:

The best test will of course be skiing them. Our first local resort opens Friday, but the one where I have a ticket opens the week following. First day on snow will be soon!

Spam16v

Zac
Skier
I’ve been on a few widths of the stances and own an older pair of Brahmas. The stances are more fun/forgiving. The Brahma’s are planks. Rewarding for when you’re 100% into it, but demanding when you’re not. Stance will buck up and shred but won’t punish you when you’re not. And second to a sh*t top sheet on the stances. Hoping it drives values down so I can score a set for cheap soon. Brahma’s are getting swapped this fall.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I own the MB 90ti and find a versatile ski. Good grip on the groomers, fine in the bumps, and works well for what passes for a powder day in New England. No time on the new Brahma so can't compare.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Has the Brahma appreciably changed from a few years ago?

When I demoed it I thought it was a fine ski but for my taste I felt it was more demanding relative to the extra reward I got versus other skis in the 90 width range. Unfortunately I have yet to get on the new Mindbenders. I love the playfulness of the previous K2 Pinnacle line, but they definitely have a speed limit, especially for heavier skiers. The Mindbenders are a whole other animal that I'll definitely try next season.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Has the Brahma appreciably changed from a few years ago?

When I demoed it I thought it was a fine ski but for my taste I felt it was more demanding relative to the extra reward I got versus other skis in the 90 width range. Unfortunately I have yet to get on the new Mindbenders. I love the playfulness of the previous K2 Pinnacle line, but they definitely have a speed limit, especially for heavier skiers. The Mindbenders are a whole other animal that I'll definitely try next season.

It is true I also should clarify that when i make a ski recommendation the size/weight of the skier is a big factor along with skill and intended use / location. Some skis in the past did not scale well and were really not good for lighter skiers. I need to revisit the new Brahma since Blizzard seemed to tackle that issue (with "True Flex") in the newest iterations of several of the skis in their lineup.

TS
BMC

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
True story

…my level of anxiety about the purchase led me to…

…get both.

So I now own both a Mindbender 90ti, and a Brahma 88, both in a 177cm.

I got the MB at a small discount, but was able to nab the Brahma and some Salomon Warden bindings at a great discount.

It’s hard to justify a place for both in the quiver but I’ll ski both for some weekend trips over the next month, and work out which I prefer. Maybe I could justify both with Brahma in use when I expect to ski more groomers (early season), and the MB when I want to ski everywhere?

Anyway, I’ll be able to provide a comparison review in around a month, possibly an interim review in two weeks after my first ski.

TS
BMC

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Brahmas arrived from Finland!! First outing in 2 weeks and counting…

TS
BMC

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
For the 1,000’s of readers no doubt waiting with baited breath for this comparison review, I have to say that sadly due to a Covid lockdown in Sydney Oz my first week’s skiing this coming weekend is cancelled.

I do have a number of weekends still locked in subject to Covid, and a 2 week block, so fingers crossed the first updates can start soon.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
True story

…my level of anxiety about the purchase led me to…

…get both.

So I now own both a Mindbender 90ti, and a Brahma 88, both in a 177cm.

I got the MB at a small discount, but was able to nab the Brahma and some Salomon Warden bindings at a great discount.

It’s hard to justify a place for both in the quiver but I’ll ski both for some weekend trips over the next month, and work out which I prefer. Maybe I could justify both with Brahma in use when I expect to ski more groomers (early season), and the MB when I want to ski everywhere?

Anyway, I’ll be able to provide a comparison review in around a month, possibly an interim review in two weeks after my first ski.

You can always find a way to rationalize keeping both. We have our place in CT with a garage, a condo in VT with a locker that holds lots of skis plus a shed at Bromley where if you work in our group you have a shed to use. This equates to equivalent skis at each place so no matter a groomer, a mixed condition or a powder day I never have to bring skis anywhere. Only exception to this is skiing local in CT means I have to transport from the garage to the mountain. Who knows maybe you'll love both of them and you'll find a reason to keep both.

TS
BMC

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
You can always find a way to rationalize keeping both. We have our place in CT with a garage, a condo in VT with a locker that holds lots of skis plus a shed at Bromley where if you work in our group you have a shed to use. This equates to equivalent skis at each place so no matter a groomer, a mixed condition or a powder day I never have to bring skis anywhere. Only exception to this is skiing local in CT means I have to transport from the garage to the mountain. Who knows maybe you'll love both of them and you'll find a reason to keep both.
Ah I just need the condo!

I do leave powder skis in Japan and used to have a locker in my ski lodge in Oz (cruelly taken away to accomodate space for mountain bikes!) but that aside all my skis are in the same place.

Sponsor

Staff online