• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Keeping food warm at the car "baselodge"

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had a bit of a discussion in the car as baselodge thread about using one of the food warmers from Amazon so that one might have warm food on a cold day if using one's car (or likely in my case, @kimberlin's car, as baselodge). I decided to buy one and do some experiments. I bought a "Electric lunch box". It works off both 110V and 12V or 24V. Dissembled, it looks like this:
IMG_1102.jpg

As a test, I filled it with water and plugged it into 110V. After 2 hours, the water was at 180F. I redid the test at 12V and after 2 hours, the water was between 136F and 140F.

Then for a more real world test. I put a load of freezer bags in a cooler to emulate Kim's car on a cold day. I made some porridge/oatmeal to emulate the consistency of something like a chili or a stew. I then refrigerated the porridge until it read 41F. I then put it in the cooler and plugged it in using 12V.
IMG_1110.jpg

Figuring that Kim & I usually ski from 9am lift opening to midday before breaking for lunch, and allowing for time to get to the car, I left the lunch box on for 3 hours 10 minutes. When brought out, the temperatures of the porridge, unstirred, ranged from 130F to 143F. While this is supposedly just on the cusp of food safety, the 140F often quoted is an instantaneous temperature, which is why one can sous vide safely at lower temperatures. Anyway, I figure, it is likely safe enough and I may have a way of increasing the temperature a little. The only other thing I might mention is that the porridge had become a bit dehydrated by the end, so one might want to have a slightly liquidy stew/chili/curry whatever to start with so that one's gourmet repast at lunchtime is more appetizing.

Although I was using a mains transformer with a 12V cigarette outlet, I am assuming that in winter at Snowbowl I will take along a 12V battery pack which I can charge back up between ski trips. As for increasing the temperature a little, I think that one's non-ski outside jacket loosely thrown over the top might well add a bit of insulation and help the temperature. YTMV.

TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
For interest, do the instructions suggest preheating your food? I'm thinking like when you use a thermos type vessel, your food goes in hot.
I guess one could, but I am more thinking of refrigerating the food beforehand - mostly to deal with @François Pugh's point about food poisoning.

Sounds more like instructions on how to get bacterial food poisoning, hours of food being warm but not hot.
There is quite a good discussion of time and temperature at e.g. https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast.html but the point is the same - it is a time and temperature related issue. As long as the food starts off refrigerated and is brought up to around 140F for a while, one should be ok. However, I am definitely going to be experimenting with getting the temperature higher - preferably a consistent 145F - 150F. I think I may be able to do this with better insulation, and I may switch to an 18V battery source.

Best to run one off an independent jump starter battery pack.
I agree - not least because I know who would be pushing the car in the event that it did drain the battery.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I'm thinking that a wide mouth thermos pre heated at home with boiling water and filled with very hot chilli, soup. etc. would be less hassle than a plug in food warmer. Long drive to the mountain, then put your street shoes and thermos in your heated ski bag while out skiing.

TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm thinking that a wide mouth thermos pre heated at home with boiling water and filled with very hot chilli, soup. etc. would be less hassle than a plug in food warmer. Long drive to the mountain, then put your street shoes and thermos in your heated ski bag while out skiing.
Regret to state that that experiment was done last year. Results were lukewarm at best at lunch, even using the Kulkea bag.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Regret to state that that experiment was done last year. Results were lukewarm at best at lunch, even using the Kulkea bag.
^^^ That is disappointing. I am kinda surprised that a properly pre warmed thermos didn't work that well, OTOH my personal experience with thermos' does not involve cold, snowy conditions.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think ymmv depending on the exact gear you are using . Can you recap exactly which "thermos" you are using?

If you want to give it a shot you might have better results with a different insulated vacuum flask model esp a well reviewed modern one if you're using something 20years old.

TS
RobSN

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think ymmv depending on the exact gear you are using . Can you recap exactly which "thermos" you are using?

If you want to give it a shot you might have better results with a different insulated vacuum flask model esp a well reviewed modern one if you're using something 20years old.
Within the last few years stainless steel thermos filled with boiling water at home and then, if I recall correctly, Manhattan Clam Chowder at basically boiling point (about 204F where I live) at approx 6am. Eaten at noon. Mildly luke warm. Stored on the ride upright in the ski boot of a warmed kulkea bag. Not sure what we did between 9am and noon if the truth be known.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
could be your thermos lost its vacuum or a lower insulating product line.

I've run tests for curiosity with water and put it in the fridge and its able to stay hot enough to make tea and still put off steam after 6hrs. At 70degrees room temp its like 12hrs plus of being hot.

My unit was was from this lin if it helps, as well as a different one labelled thermos thermax.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ve found liquids in my thermos — random 10 y.o. REI one — to stay really hot for much longer than anticipated when I’m bc skiing in Tahoe winters. I guess it’s also surrounded by a puffy in my pack.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
could be your thermos lost its vacuum or a lower insulating product line.

I've run tests for curiosity with water and put it in the fridge and its able to stay hot enough to make tea and still put off steam after 6hrs. At 70degrees room temp its like 12hrs plus of being hot.

My unit was was from this lin if it helps, as well as a different one labelled thermos thermax.
I have one of those. Yes, it works really well. Last season I would fill it with hot coffee at 6:30am, and at 4:00pm the coffee in it would still be steaming hot. I would have poured some out at lunch, too.

The important factors in its construction are that the two layers of walls are stainless steel with no plastic, and the lid is a substantial layered plastic contraption with a sealed dense air pocket inside its thick body that seals in the warmth. Over that goes another layer of stainless steel, creating another air filled barrier between your hot liquid and the world beyond. The thickness and seal of the plastic lid keeps the heat from escaping upward out the top.

Do not expect any two-walled "thermos" with a plastic interior wall to hold the heat, nor any kind of container with a single layer plastic lid.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
As others have said, the thermos matters greatly. We have multiple different kinds for coffee with various corporate logos acquired for free, and the range in performance is huge. Our best coffee cup will keep scalding coffee scalding all day.

You want a 'real thermos', where the construction is similar to a dewar used for storage of cryogens. Essentially, one stainless steel container nested inside another with an air vacuum gap between the two walls of the container. And as @LiquidFeet points out, the lid is the weak point for leaking heat, so you need good quality there. Stainless is not very good at conducting heat, especially when the walls are really thin. This is sort of counter intuitive, but it's the way the insulation works.

There are a lot of thermos-looking containers that are just stainless steel cups with a plastic liner. These are about as good as a styrofoam cup.

We have a "Corkcicle" canteen that is really good at keeping things hot/cold.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I forgot to mention, Even if you get brand name unit, every single modern brand is mass manufactured and has a chance to fail and lose the vacuum. Then they've just become a doublewalled water bottle. They're only $30 though but an artifact of our disposable culture.

For a brief overview in my amazon link the 2nd picture has a breakdown of the different types of "thermos" shaped devices. Note that even ones thst might be labelled vacuum, there maybe a distinction of just how much vacuum they were able to acheive which may affect performance.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online