• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lange LX 120 vs Lange LX 130

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
I've been in need of a new set of boots for sometime. Last season I started looking for boots and tried on at least 8 pairs of boots with no luck. I have wider feet and I have a whole size difference between my feet. I started looking again this season and finally found a set of Lange LX's that fit really well. The shop only had the boot in a 120 flex (not 130). My current boots are pretty stiff and if it matters I don't race, but I do like to ski bumps, trees, and pow.

Is there really that much of a difference between a boot with a flex of 120 vs 130?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Always get the stiffer boot. Get the 130.

Why? And how was the conclusion reached? IMH experience, not everyone needs a 130 flex boot, especially folks spending the bulk of their time skiing bumps, trees, and pow.... and of course we have no idea about the OP's size, technical ability, background, gear history, foot mobility assessment, need for lateral alignment, etc... the OP hasn't given us enough info to help him much.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've been in need of a new set of boots for sometime. Last season I started looking for boots and tried on at least 8 pairs of boots with no luck. I have wider feet and I have a whole size difference between my feet. I started looking again this season and finally found a set of Lange LX's that fit really well. The shop only had the boot in a 120 flex (not 130). My current boots are pretty stiff and if it matters I don't race, but I do like to ski bumps, trees, and pow.

Is there really that much of a difference between a boot with a flex of 120 vs 130?

I own the Lange RX 120, and RS 130. While I do feel the 130 is a touch stiffer, it’s only a touch stiffer. I definitely don’t think the difference in flex is something to anguish about. To the best of my knowledge the difference between the 120 and 130 isn‘t the shell - I understand the plastics etc are identical. The big diffference is in the liner.

It won’t become a big deal. In the remote chance it did, just pop in a Zupfit liner. The boot will ski better anyway, and you’ll stiffen it up.

TS
SCWVA

SCWVA

Skier
..........of course we have no idea about the OP's size, technical ability, background, gear history, foot mobility assessment, need for lateral alignment, etc... the OP hasn't given us enough info to help him much.

I'm not sure how to answer this, but Im 5' 10.5", weight at least 190lbs, I can ski, both feet work reasonably well :) , and I'm not sure if I need lateral alignment.

What exactly is a Zupfit liner?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm not sure how to answer this, but Im 5' 10.5", weight at least 190lbs, I can ski, both feet work reasonably well :) , and I'm not sure if I need lateral alignment.

What exactly is a Zupfit liner?

Thanks for everyone's input.
Zipfits are made with unicorn poop and if you combine them with a pair of Stocklis you will be able to ski like Candide Thovex and Herman Meier combined...or so I've heard. :roflmao:
I'm a bit shorter and lighter than you(5' 8" 165) and find my RS120s to be pretty stiff. I don't think I'd want them any stiffer for bumps. The only time they've felt a bit soft is on a warm spring day.

TS
SCWVA

SCWVA

Skier

I'm still looking for a new set of boots. With the summer sales coming up, can anyone recommend a high volume boot with a flex of 130 that doesn't require any unicorn poop?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I'm still looking for a new set of boots. With the summer sales coming up, can anyone recommend a high volume boot with a flex of 130 that doesn't require any unicorn poop?

We're out. So are many others. There's just not a load of extra stock floating around. Get what you need. If it's on sale, but the shoe doesn't fit, well,.... there you go. You've been warned. :)

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It’s a subjective thing, boot flex- one brands 130 can feel like another brands 120... do you “ ride “ or “drive” your skis? While it’s never quite that simple, it may indicate how much input you want or need transmitted through the boots. This is where a really good boot fitter is worth their weight in gold.

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
For reference, I am 200 lbs. (now 188.5 lbs.) 5' 11" I ski the 97mm last (narrow) RS 130 with a narrow heel and wider forefoot. At my weight and height it is not "stiff."

Because I am looking for more forward lean, I am looking "forward" to trying on a pair of Atomic Redster Club Sport which is narrow (good for me but they also apparently make it in a wider last for you). IMHO, the boot should not be stiff enough such that when you want to pressure the tip edge of the ski, the boot transmits your weight to that place. But not so stiff that it then uncontrollably bounces you into the back seat.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Old boots get a little soft so there might be a transition time to break your feet in for new performance boots, especially on bumps. They say you can dial down the flex so if the fitter is with it.

Took about one shin push for the fitter I worked with to confirm the 130 flex was correct.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Years ago on Epic I did a thread on boot stiffness with a survey. Surprisingly a lot of the conversations re stiffness selection where the same in threads, however what was vexing was the survey showed most skied boots 130 and up.

Soft boots equals forgiveness of errors however suffers in performance.

Stiff boots equals performance but lacks forgiveness.

Furthermore, the ski/boot system should match in performance as mismatch only leads to the performance of the lowest level in the system.

Before anyone goes bashing, yes there are exceptions for applications and yes this is simplistic (it is meant to be), because most over think it.

Personally, if you are a competent skier (higher side of intermediate) you benefit from a stiffer boot in terms of response and precision. Assuming the Stiffness rate is the same (which there not even within manufacturers own product lines) most would benefit between 110 to 140, preference given towards 120-130. Reason, too stiff, you over input your skis. For a good portion on this site I’m guessing 130 to 150, but we have skis to match and ski accordingly.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Buy the cheapest boot you can find from this list -

Atomic Hawx Magna
Dalbello Pantera
Nordica Sportmachine
Tecnica Mach1 HV
Salomon S/Pro HD

Buy the cheapest because you'll be buying again soon enough, or you will be wasting good ski time with uncomfortable feet encased in poorly performing ski boots, because you are doing this wrong. If you want to do this correctly, find a good boot fitter that has good inventory. Let them show you the three best boot choices for your foot. If you get past a fourth boots to try on walk out, you are not working with a bootfitter. Getting a leftover is fine (good luck with that this year...) if it is the right boot for your foot. If it isn't it is good money wasted.

You don't need a pair of Stocklis
You don't need Look Pivot 15 bindings
You don't need a $300 Smith helmet
You don't need Gore Tex 3L clothing
You don't need Hestra gloves
You don't need fancy ski goggles
You don't need a heated bootbag
You don't need to ski at the fanciest 'Ski Resorts'

You DO NEED really well fitted ski boots to get the most out of skiing. You can't get that from a sales bin under a circus tent during a summer sale.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Those Langes are pretty soft so I would get the 130 for sure.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Buy the cheapest boot you can find from this list -

Atomic Hawx Magna
Dalbello Pantera
Nordica Sportmachine
Tecnica Mach1 HV
Salomon S/Pro HD

Buy the cheapest because you'll be buying again soon enough, or you will be wasting good ski time with uncomfortable feet encased in poorly performing ski boots, because you are doing this wrong. If you want to do this correctly, find a good boot fitter that has good inventory. Let them show you the three best boot choices for your foot. If you get past a fourth boots to try on walk out, you are not working with a bootfitter. Getting a leftover is fine (good luck with that this year...) if it is the right boot for your foot. If it isn't it is good money wasted.

You DO NEED really well fitted ski boots to get the most out of skiing. You can't get that from a sales bin under a circus tent during a summer sale.

Ski boot flex ranges from 80 to 140. 80 being youth and 140 being race stiff. A change of 10 is the minimum step. The 120 will be a little softer and less precise than the 130. It will reduce your control and precision at higher speeds and the shell will deform more, so your foot will move more as you stress the boot doing skiing motions. It will be more comfortable by flexing more to absorb shocks, such as mogul skiing at speed.

Since you have hard to fit feet, you should really consider paying the "big ski boot bill" (read see a good boot fitter at the beginning of the season when inventory is high and pay full price) at least once to get advice and sample boots that might work for your feet. Mike's list is very good, although he left off your Lange's, which you already know about. Once you know what works for your feet, your can bargain shop in the future when its time for replacement. I personally like Atomics and their boots are heat moldable (as are most others) which really helps a boot adjust to your foot shape. The boot fitter is always the "correct way" but it is also the most expensive way. You can ask a fitter what he has for left over models, and that can save you some $$ occasionally. This year is not good for left overs. One thing is for sure, if you are going to be successful bargain shopping, you have to know exactly what you need and want, otherwise the odds are stacked against you getting a boot that will work for you. Your experience so far seems to prove my point.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The OP is quite a good bump skier, also skis trees frequently and fluidly.

I am in the market for new boots too. In 50+ years of skiing I've never had a stiff boot, and I've been on a pair of Lange 90 flex for last nine years. I am also interested in more discussion on the tradeoffs in performance between stiff vs. soft boots. I don't race either. I do like to ski bumps, trees, and pow, but at about half the speed and skill of @SCWVA . I do occasionally feel like I'm bottoming-out (mushy) in my 90 flex boots in moments of high exertion, but some of that might be due to their age and wear. I use the same stock liners that came with the boots.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skier weight is a big factor in choosing ski boot stiffness (flex rating). If you weigh a lot, a soft boot will bottom out and over flex, so not perform well. If you are light, then you can use a soft boot or a stiff boot, its just personal preference. The best way to determine what you like is to ski a range of boot flexes to get the experience. Its not very practical, however, as boot demo's aren't done like ski demo's. You can try them on in a store, so you can get a "static" feel for them. You might want to bring a pair of skis with you to click in and then mimic ski motions and flex them forward and back. I have done that in my basement when I bought new boots during the summer and couldn't go ski them right away. I believe there is a range of flexes that will work well for a skier, and each skier will have a different range, again a personal preference thing. For me at 240 lbs, a 140-120 flex range will ski well. Softer than 120 is too soft and I over flex the boot.

The trade off's in performance between stiff versus soft boots? This can and will get really complicated and have lots of different ways to look at it. I know a boot is too soft for me when I am spring skiing and hit a patch of sticky wet snow that feels like someone just stomped on my brake pedal. If my boot is too soft, I lean too far forward and loose control of my skis. I go over the handlebars. Another indicator is when I flex forward to drive my ski tips and not much happens with the ski, the boot flexes instead of the ski edge really digging in. Too soft a boot leads to delayed/weak edging. Finally, if the boots are too soft the boots are flexing and distorting so much my feet are moving in the boot and this causes localized pain. If your feet are comfortable when standing in your boots, but they hurt during/after skiing then that indicates your boots are too soft (or too big, or too loose) and your foot is moving in the boot and that causes the forces from skiing to be concentrated in one area of your foot instead of being spread out over your whole foot and leg. This drastically increases the magnitude of the local force and starts to cause pain or it compresses the liner to the point your foot contacts the shell and causes contact pain. If the boot was stiffer and held your foot better, the force would not be concentrated and the liner would be cushioning your foot. My feet feel less pain in a stiffer, low distortion boot.

In a stiff boot, shin bang or shin pain can be an issue. You need good tongue cushioning and a good instep fit to keep them comfortable. Another issue is having them set properly for forward lean and cant angle. In theory, if they are set properly for your skiing stance, then you shouldn't need a lot of flex range of motion while skiing. If your boot has low forward lean and you like to crouch low while skiing, you will be constantly trying to flex the boot and that will be tiring and uncomfortable after a while. The opposite applies as well. The downside of stiff flex, is the range of motion is reduced and the ability to absorb impacts by flexing is a lot less. It is really important to have a stiff boot setup properly. This would include binding ramp angle, boot footboard ramp ange, forward lean setting, and cant/cuff angle. If its all set right for your body and style, a stiff boot will ski very comfortably. I have experienced both ends of the spectrum with stiff boots.

Lastly, I think the stiffer the boot, the higher its performance period. With the exception of mogul skiing and being able to absorb impacts by flexing the boot. I don't know this, but I am curious what flex rating Olympic caliber mogul skiers typically use? I would guess its around 120 or so. I did learn through my race coaching experience that WC racers use very high flex rated boots for slalom skiing (150-170) and softer flex boots for downhill speed events (?110-130?). I was told DH racers need more absorption in their boots so they use a softer flex.

Softer flexing (consumer) boots will be more absorbing of terrain impacts, be less precise, allow your foot to move more and possibly hurt your feet more when skiing hard. After a day of skiing my AT boots (130 flex) with light weight touring liners in the resort, my feet felt like they were worked over and pretty sore. No sharp pains, just overall sore. After a similar day in my 140 race boots, no soreness at all. I have since changed the liners in my AT boots to a Mimic liner which is thicker and holds my foot better. My foot soreness has completely away. So the liner made the difference for me. I guess its not all the boot, but the boot liner combination. Or its really about the fit and foot hold of the boot and then shell distortion comes into play on top of that.

@Jim Kenney what are your thoughts or focus ?

Sponsor

Staff online