• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lange RX-130 vs. RS-130

TS
R

RunSki

Booting up
Skier
Lange has a progressive flex, so the deeper the bend the stiffer they get, which is much better and versatile imo. Also, it flexes fairly different at room temperature than in ski conditions, so don't let any boot fool you in the shop. There's a lot that goes into choosing the flex but bottomline, you'll know if it's too stiff or it's too soft when skiing with them.

Typically the faster you ski, the harder the surface, the less flexible your ankle, and the more you weigh, the stiffer the boot you want. And the opposite is true, the slower you ski, the softer the surface, the more flexible your ankle, and the less you weigh, the more flexible the boot you want.

If you classify yourself as an expert level skier that primarily skis on groomers, and you've had a 130 before, then get a 130. If you feel like you're in the backseat and your shins are taking a beating, or you're technique suffers on a powder day, it's too stiff and take a bolt out so it's more flexible. The way boots are made, it's fairly easy to reduce flex with a turn of a screw or two, and even cutting material away if it's really bad. Adding additional stiffness would require some workshop ingenuity that you probably wouldn't want to get into.

I can only speak about the RS Wide 130 from trying them on in a shop back to back with the RX 130 (both 100mm) last year, and I thought the RS felt a smidge stiffer than the RX but fairly comparable. And I had a Nordica SpeedMachine 130 and I think my current 2020 Lange RX 120 is actually stiffer. It really comes down to fit and feel and where you spend most of your time.

You can ski with any boot, but they put the boots in categories for a reason. The product teams that build and design the boots spend a lot of time focusing on building the best product for a targeted segment of users. They build race boots for people that go fast on groomers and race, and wider more friendly boots for resort skiers and powder days, and AT boots for people that hike for their runs. And the boots perform accordingly for those categories. Yes, you can ski with any boot and they will still get you to the bottom, but in general it's a good idea to use the boot that is designed to do what you do most of the time. And as always, always work with a good local bootfitter that can work with you.

Great thought on the bolts. Should have been obvious, but that gives quite a bit of tune in the flex. I could also pretty easily get the softer boot board and have a setup that is quite adaptable to the day's skiing.

I would be curious as to how the geometry of the boot has changed since your version? Ramp/cuff angles? Have they changed? I would personally be more sensitive to the "posture" than the plastic with regard to soft/hard snow versatility.

I've put the new ones on compared to my old ones and the upright posture seems quite similar, very distinct for the Langes. In fact, when I bought my old RX's, I came from some Fischer Vaccums and I felt like I could not ski at all my first day on the RX's. Felt like I was skiing on the tails the whole time, even on blue/green runs. I was able to adjust on my next day in them, but I hated them for that first couple of hours.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I own the Lange RX 120, and RS 130. The differences between the boots are small. The RS is stiffer and more responsive, but not by much. I ski each exactly the same in powder. It’s never occurred to me that the RS130 couldn’t or wouldn’t work in powder.

Unless you’re racing you could buy either and the differences in performance aren’t in my view material. The bigger issue may just by walking from the car park to the snow - the sole of the RS gives little traction whereas the RX gives a little more traction, and the soles are replaceable. If I’m not walking on snow I tend to use cat tracks with either boot, so the distinction for me is kind of moot.

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
Great thought on the bolts. Should have been obvious, but that gives quite a bit of tune in the flex. I could also pretty easily get the softer boot board and have a setup that is quite adaptable to the day's skiing.

Attachments

• 595b86a91d95b.jpg
    595b86a91d95b.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 228

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
That is surprising and good to know. I have a low instep and will be in the LV version, as in the previous.

If you have a low instep, do consider a Head Raptor

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would be careful about removing and replacing bolts for reasons besides @oldschoolskier 's. I've never removed my bolts intentionally and still had some fall out while skiing. I thought to look because my boot felt "wrong". I could see the loctite on the threads inside the boot so it must have been poorly done. I've replaced them using stainless steel bolts and washers I bought on Amazon Prime and applied loctite myself. No problems so far.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Loctite without bolts and washers are the industry norm because by and large they work. Yes, it behoove us to check our gear once in awhile. If something is loose, loctite blue and tighten again.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Loctite without bolts and washers are the industry norm because by and large they work. Yes, it behoove us to check our gear once in awhile. If something is loose, loctite blue and tighten again.
I don't mean using nut and washer, I added a washer to the bolt for a little extra reinforcement and to take up some of the shaft which was perhaps a tad too long.
IMG_20201124_173843923.jpg

TS
R

RunSki

Booting up
Skier
I decided to go with the RS 130. Figured if I didn't, I would always wonder if I would have liked the performance more. Going to get them fitted this week. I'll update later on with my thoughts. I'm going to play around with removing only one of the two bolts for flex adjustment on powder type days to see how I like it. I think the attention will make it less likely that I end up losing bolts by chance (I would imagine they just slowly come loose over time vs. come out all at once). I had that happen with my RX once, and ended up repairing it almost identically to @Marker.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I decided to go with the RS 130. Figured if I didn't, I would always wonder if I would have liked the performance more. Going to get them fitted this week. I'll update later on with my thoughts. I'm going to play around with removing only one of the two bolts for flex adjustment on powder type days to see how I like it. I think the attention will make it less likely that I end up losing bolts by chance (I would imagine they just slowly come loose over time vs. come out all at once). I had that happen with my RX once, and ended up repairing it almost identically to @Marker.
I predict you will love them when properly fitted. Mine needed a bit of work on the right toe box, the left one small punch. Of course I'll try on any boot recommended by the bootfitter, but the last time I was in for a tweak he said he would still have me try the new RS 130. I'm tempted by the Dual Core to make getting them on and off easier, but not in this year's environment. Since I'm a 30.5, I assume this would be an early season proposition to make sure they are in stock. My current pair were ordered in November since they didn't stock that size!

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Too late now, but if you do any hiking at all, the rx is a lot better and faster.. The rs soles are pretty slippery

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
You'll want cat tracks or skitrax for sole protection as you can't replace the heel or toe on the RS without serious work or installing lifts. Wish I had seen this earlier, the RX130LV gets you near RS performance but with a grippier sole and replaceable bits.

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
you can always loosen the buckles to tune stiffness, if it works for reilly mcglashan, it's good enough for me....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-orNCgbTnUU&t=259s

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You'll want cat tracks or skitrax for sole protection as you can't replace the heel or toe on the RS without serious work or installing lifts. Wish I had seen this earlier, the RX130LV gets you near RS performance but with a grippier sole and replaceable bits.
Up thread it sounded to me like he coming from a RX130LV, but wanted the little extra an RS130 could provide.

I use yaktrax with my RS130.

Reactions: BMC

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Up thread it sounded to me like he coming from a RX130LV, but wanted the little extra an RS130 could provide.

I use yaktrax with my RS130.

He indicated being in the regular RX, the 100mm last one vs the 97mm last LV boot. He mentioned buckling them down tighter to get more out of them, but more times than not, clamping down more is really from a boot that too big or packed out and no longer giving the solid feedback and response one is looking for.

I love the new RS130 and my old ones almost as much. But for non-race days or any time I may be doing a little hiking, I'm in the RX LV. I can't imagine hiking up spanky's in an RS slip sliding all over the place.

pliny the elder

Industry Insider
Skier
If you install a lifter, you can add traction and gain a replaceable toe and heel on an RS.

The differences between the RX and RS boots are subtle and reflect their roles in the marketplace more than anything.

The RS looks like the race boot and is aimed at the frontside carving, Nastarfarian type. And so it has a solid sole, a sturdy zeppa that can be modified, lock tab buckles, cam buckle strap and the firmest liner.

The RXs live in the all mountain category. Softer liner, replaceable toe and heel, thinner shock absorbent zeppa.
Both are great boots and ski very well. Quality plastic that can be ground or punched and a relaxed neutral stance.

pliny the elder

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I ski the RS130’s - had 5mm lifters put on (needed some canting), but also like that the soles are now “replaceable“. Don’t think I’ve never messed w/ bolts at all

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
He indicated being in the regular RX, the 100mm last one vs the 97mm last LV boot. He mentioned buckling them down tighter to get more out of them, but more times than not, clamping down more is really from a boot that too big or packed out and no longer giving the solid feedback and response one is looking for.

I love the new RS130 and my old ones almost as much. But for non-race days or any time I may be doing a little hiking, I'm in the RX LV. I can't imagine hiking up spanky's in an RS slip sliding all over the place.
Post #16

Sponsor

Staff online