• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lange Shadow 120 MV

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Both my wife and I have never had much luck with boots even after multiple trips to a bootfitter unless the fit is damn good right out of the box.

Interesting. The best bootfitter I've ever worked with --Bob Olsen in OR -- takes that approach, at least with me. Last time I bought boots from him, he looked at my foot briefly, brought out 3 candidates and said "I've got skis to tune. Let me know which of these is closest to your foot, then we'll make it perfect".

Worked great, though I chose the Raptor 140 and he did make the comment "that's not a particularly warm boot". He was right.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Has anyone experimented with the elastomers? Contrary to some people I’ve talked to, I’ve found that I definitely like the stiffest ones the best overall. However, if I was strictly skiing bumps, I’d be tempted to keep the softer ones in. It’s interesting to me how much changing the tiny elastomers changes the feel of the boots.
I've messed around and my sweet spot is the grey/stock elastomers in the bottom positions and the black softer one in the top of the spine. Perfect blend of power and comfort.

jwilli

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've messed around and my sweet spot is the grey/stock elastomers in the bottom positions and the black softer one in the top of the spine. Perfect blend of power and comfort.

This is my combo as well. All black was too soft, this provides just a little extra flex but stays very responsive. Note this is for a 130mv.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well I noticed when I take the liner out and just stand in the shell I can feel the sides of the shell pressing into various bony points of my foot and if you look at the way the contour of the boot is you can see where there are some tight cut-ins or narrow sections. That's why I wonder if raising the footbed my reduce the need for additional punches. I'll still likely punch the navicular, that spot is so damn annoying.

I had that issue on one foot and took a grinder to the inside of the boot where the flat bottom met the sidewall. This was outside of the footboard width where its just the plastic shell. It worked wonders to solve the issue. Needed a punch in the side wall to to create room over my bony styliod process bump too. I thought thicker footbeds would raise me above the pinch points, but it was only marginally effective. Reshaped the bottom of the boot and some of the sidewall shape and it cured it for me.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had that issue on one foot and took a grinder to the inside of the boot where the flat bottom met the sidewall. This was outside of the footboard width where its just the plastic shell. It worked wonders to solve the issue. Needed a punch in the side wall to to create room over my bony styliod process bump too. I thought thicker footbeds would raise me above the pinch points, but it was only marginally effective. Reshaped the bottom of the boot and some of the sidewall shape and it cured it for me.
Yeah I had a couple more punches done and i'm pretty happy with the fit over all. Truthfully I think part of my critique on the fit of this boot is from the fact that I've been spoiled by trying Intuition, Mimic Professional, and now Zipfit liners. Stock liners are junk.

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah I had a couple more punches done and i'm pretty happy with the fit over all. Truthfully I think part of my critique on the fit of this boot is from the fact that I've been spoiled by trying Intuition, Mimic Professional, and now Zipfit liners. Stock liners are junk.
It’s funny how different people are. I think the stock liners are very nice. I should qualify that to say, the second set of stock liners are very nice. The first set, with early date of manufacture, were indeed junk. I’m still not sure of the reason for the difference.

Sponsor

Staff online