• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lange Shadow LV > Which touring boot?

Chris Johnson

Booting up
Skier
Hey all,

I had been having issues with my Atomic Hawx XTD's last season when skiing inbounds (plastic felt very harsh and jarring when skiing firm snow) and I have some Haglund's deformity/ heel spurs on both feet that was hard to punch or grind for in the Grillamid material of the Hawx.

Long story short, I went to a boot fitter and got a pair of the Lange Shadow LVs with some custom insoles. Haven't needed a single other alteration. Part of why I originally went with the Hawx was to have a dual-purpose boot for resort and touring. But now that I have the Shadows (and went out for a touring day on the Hawx and had some blister issues as well as other issues that have been present), I'm considering getting a dedicated pair of touring boots.

The bootfitter I went to definitely focuses on alpine boots, so not sure the variety they'd have of touring options. I know they carry Fischer, Technica, and I think Salomon, but unsure if they carry all the touring models. Anyone's foot fit really well in the Shadow LV and have a touring boot they really like as well? Thinking something in the Zero G Pro Tour style with a fully rockered sole, decent walk mode, but can still be skied fairly hard. Really just trying to narrow my focus and explore options. I may reach out to the shop to see what touring-specific options they have as well.

Cheers!

TS
C

Chris Johnson

Booting up
Skier
I had sort of written off any Lange models since they all look very much like a downhill boot that sort of tours, but just reading a review of the XT3 Tour Light, they are 200g/ ski lighter than the Hawx... The walk mode doesn't look like much but gets a rave review from Ski Mag (grain of salt...). Though it does look like it only comes in a medium volume at the moment.

I'll definitely keep them in mind!

PCSB

Booting up
Skier
The Shadow is an excellent boot, but it does not share much DNA with the Lange XT 3 Tour (rally sole) Backcountry boot. The last on the XT 3 Tour is a 99mm and the liner is a heat moldable Intuition/Palay type. It does share the strong downhill power that Langes are known for, but for fit, it is a different animal. There are many boots in the power touring category, Tecnica Zero G, Scarpa Maestrale, Dynafit Hoji Free, and La Sportiva Vanguard. Try them all on, and then decide!

BeiJiHu

Booting up
Skier
Look at the Lange XT3 Tour Pro:
The walkmode/ROM definitely more than "sort of tours", but at the same time its a classic 4buckle that is fairly light but quite stiff (in that weight category).
If it wasn't too LV for my feet i would have kept it to replace my Lupo for freetouring. But since you are looking for LV boots, maybe it'll work for you?

Sponsor

Staff online