• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long and heavy charger skis

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm also REALLY excited to try a ski like the Kendo because I know the '22 102 is an unforgiving brick missile, I can't even imagine being on something easier to ski lol.
You're a big enough person (I'm only slightly lighter so no insult intended) I guess it's possible you can bend the 102 in a 184. However, most skiers I have known at your experience level look better on skis other than the Mantra/Kendo. Have you demoed many other skis besides the Mantra family?

To illustrate, my brother in law is much smaller than either of us and his skiing improved hugely with a ski that was a step or two softer when I bought him a 4FRNT MSP 99 to "complement" his ~2015 Kendo in ~2017. I think he started having good form on the Kendo in like 2021 or something? Point is it took a while and I'm not even sure he would have gotten there with the stiffer ski. The quote I excerpted above makes me wonder if you might do better getting something a bit easier going on the narrow side while you get more comfortable.

COSkier87

Getting on the lift
Skier
You're a big enough person (I'm only slightly lighter so no insult intended) I guess it's possible you can bend the 102 in a 184. However, most skiers I have known at your experience level look better on skis other than the Mantra/Kendo. Have you demoed many other skis besides the Mantra family?

To illustrate, my brother in law is much smaller than either of us and his skiing improved hugely with a ski that was a step or two softer when I bought him a 4FRNT MSP 99 to "complement" his ~2015 Kendo in ~2017. I think he started having good form on the Kendo in like 2021 or something? Point is it took a while and I'm not even sure he would have gotten there with the stiffer ski. The quote I excerpted above makes me wonder if you might do better getting something a bit easier going on the narrow side while you get more comfortable.

I'm sure there are some things I could learn with a more forgiving ski, excited to find out with the pairs I end up demoing.

As for bending the 102s, yes at speed with low to medium carving angles. I assume the top end of that will take a bit more time and experience, which is fine. Once I found my balance, it was a matter of discovering how to shift my weight at the right times and with the right intensity to get them turned over. In the very beginning, I was doing a lot of gas pedalling and outer leg bracing, which was wrong and very tiring. It's a night and day difference compared to what I experience today.

eh, compared to what? Cochise nope, Blaze yes.

Compared to the skis I'll be demoing.

Last edited:

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm sure there are some things I could learn with a more forgiving ski, excited to find out with the pairs I end up demoing.

As for bending the 102s, yes at speed with low to medium carving angles. I assume the top end of that will take a bit more time and experience, which is fine. Once I found my balance, it was a matter of discovering how to shift my weight at the right times and with the right intensity to get them turned over. In the very beginning, I was doing a lot of gas pedalling and outer leg bracing, which was wrong and very tiring. It's a night and day difference compared to what I experience today.

Compared to the skis I'll be demoing.
Lotta great insight here. I’ll add if you can find a nos Monster 83, I think it would a great compliment to your m102 but also be a supportive ski that is easier to improve technique on. I have a pair and love them as a front side ski.

COSkier87

Getting on the lift
Skier
The Kendo 88 test drive a little bit ago really unlocked something for me, I can now get A LOT more out of the 102s than ever before. My inside thighs and inside quads have been getting a massive workout every day, and as those muscles have strengthened, I've been able to push harder and harder. It's the best time I've had on these skis yet!!

I don't think I'll downsize on the waist width anytime soon. It makes me sad I didn't pick up a 2nd pair, the 2022s are hard to come by @ 184.

On a side note, I took the 102s into the park today for the first time. Getting air and listening to the "CLANK" when they hit the ground was hilarious.

TahoeJoe

Getting on the lift
Skier
The Kendo 88 test drive a little bit ago really unlocked something for me, I can now get A LOT more out of the 102s than ever before. My inside thighs and inside quads have been getting a massive workout every day, and as those muscles have strengthened, I've been able to push harder and harder. It's the best time I've had on these skis yet!!

I don't think I'll downsize on the waist width anytime soon. It makes me sad I didn't pick up a 2nd pair, the 2022s are hard to come by @ 184.

On a side note, I took the 102s into the park today for the first time. Getting air and listening to the "CLANK" when they hit the ground was hilarious.
I will echo these sentiments
I love love love my m102’s. I am always bouncing between my kendo 88’s, mantra vwerks and m102’s
I think if these three skis had a love child
It just might be the M6
Maybe I’ll get a pair just to find out

COSkier87

Getting on the lift
Skier
I will echo these sentiments
I love love love my m102’s. I am always bouncing between my kendo 88’s, mantra vwerks and m102’s
I think if these three skis had a love child
It just might be the M6
Maybe I’ll get a pair just to find out

That's what I was considering trying out next, but I can't see it doing anything that the M102 can already do.

dwoovre

Booting up
Skier
I have both also (although the OG 102, not the current version). If the big heavy shovel on the 102 bothers you in tight spots, I could see a reason to own both. Otherwise, I’d agree that the 102 does pretty much everything that the M6 does, and a lot of things better.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As much as I like them, I may be putting my M102 up for sale: I have a pair of Monster 108 (NOS 2016) inbound. Want to experience the thunder for myself.

Since getting the HL FL105, the M102 wasn't seeing much action, but still had a place in the quiver. I'm wondering if the Monster will seize that role.

COSkier87

Getting on the lift
Skier
As much as I like them, I may be putting my M102 up for sale: I have a pair of Monster 108 (NOS 2016) inbound. Want to experience the thunder for myself.

Since getting the HL FL105, the M102 wasn't seeing much action, but still had a place in the quiver. I'm wondering if the Monster will seize that role.

How does the FL105 compare to the M102?

Do you plan on using the Monster 108 as a charger?

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How does the FL105 compare to the M102?

Do you plan on using the Monster 108 as a charger?
I think you located my review of the FL105.

I found the M102 to be quite versatile. Yes, it trucks on groomed snow and blows through crud, but it is also quite maneuverable in tight spaces and a lot of fun in 6" of untracked. As versatile as it is, however, the FL105 takes all of those things to another level. They are incredibly intuitive, ignorant of variable conditions, and have a "warmth" to them that the M102 with its carbon tips doesn't have. I also realize that I prefer a longer radius ski. I mention that I think they both could have a place in a quiver because if I was going to be skiing nothing but firm groomers all day, the M102 lays tracks (as well if not better than the M6 and many other narrower offerings, imho). But other than that specific circumstance, I'd reach for the FL105 every time.

The Monster 108 for me is "research." When you hear the legend, you want to see what all the hullabaloo is about! Based on everything I've read, and knowing that they were a large influence on the FL105, I think I will like them. But we will see.

Magikarp

Putting on skis
Skier
Has anyone tried the Revolt 114? It seems to be an interesting option that would fit the parameters for skis in the thread, at least in weight.
Revolt114_2425.jpeg

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Has anyone tried the Revolt 114? It seems to be an interesting option that would fit the parameters for skis in the thread, at least in weight.

i haven't but they have been on my radar, blister just released a free review on them.

Blister review

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
View attachment 227578
As usual these days, the Blister review - and the deep dive comparisons - don't review the longest lengths on almost any of these skis,
but only guess about them here and there. The only reviewer is only 5'8", medium weight, more freestyle oriented, seems like.

(The Moment Bibby Pro 184 is one of the few low 180s powder/crud skis I've been on that's good for me, in spite of
my medium/smaller size, so a problem here, and more so for bigger folk.)

I was especially interested in the Deep Dive comparisons with many skis, including the Rossi M Free 110/191s,
and the Salomon Blank 194s, the two wider Black Ops, the two fatter Dynastars, the Kore 117, etc.
but all were reviewed only in the shorter lengths. Too bad. Not useless, but not very useful either.

The Volkl Revolt 184 review was still pretty close to what I'd heard from people who have skied that ski in its longest length,
except the longest Revolt 114 would be a better comparison to the longest Rossis and longest Blanks, longest Head Kore 117s,
longest Moment Bibby Pros and Wildcats, longest Line Optic 114s, and to others.

P.S.
As I reported earlier, when I went into the Breck ski shop where I'd taken my Rossi M Free 191/110s to get mounted,
the guy there at the time said it was a good ski, and he'd been deciding between it and the Revolt/114 (longest length),
been skiing them both, and finally decided on the Revolt 114: It was just even more of a stable charger, he said, more his kind of ski,
whatever that meant. (He was definitely an expert freerider type skier, intent on how they both did at speed in crud, etc.)
The Rossi was a great ski, and I'd like it, he said; but for him the Revolt 114 was more stable at high speed, and with his style.

The Revolt 114/191 still sounds interesting. Dunno.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
By next season, it will get more complicated, at least for me, as I'll probably bestir myself to maybe get a pair of the new Rossi Sender M Free 118/191s, patterned on the Black Ops 118/186s and maybe on the K2 Pettitor 120/190s, and on the aforementioned ski from this season, the Rossi M Free 110/191s.

For me, this may become a choice between the Rossi Sender M Free 118/191, and the Volkl Revolt 114/191, if I'm still alive and kicking around enough to be interested. :crossfingers:

So, dang, if any of you guys get a wack at either of these skis, please let us know ASAP.

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
I get that Dynastar and Rossignol have common ownership, but an M-Free is a Dynastar. One may as well refer to an Armada powder ski as an Armada Bent Chetler.

BTW I loved my M-Free 108s at Crystal yesterday in 182 length. They were ideal. The only place they fell a little flat was Iceberg; which is a 30-35 degree slope groomed run that had been scraped down to hardpack. They killed it off piste in powder and chopped up stuff. For a free ride ski that is not a “charger” they’re very confidence inspiring in crud.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I feel ditto about the Dynastar M Free 118s, but got used to folks calling them the Dynastar Proto 118. Classic ski.
Big Brother to the 108s.

I can relate to what you are saying. On the lift, rather than online, I can call those Rossis stuff like my Black Ops 110s.
Or the Baby Brother 110s (to the Black Ops 118s and the Black Ops 112s).

I did not make up that mostly lame, to me, name "Sender," or add/steal that "M Free" so uselessly.
But that's how it is if I want to get others to know what ski I'm talking about, I guess. :)

Sponsor

Staff online