• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Long-Term Test: 2017 Movement Fly Smasher 115

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
Movement Fly Smasher 115
Dimensions: 138-115-133
Radius: 19m
Size tested: 185

For years I've resisted the urge to add a proper powder ski to my quiver. Up until last season, the fattest skis that I had ever been on were RMU's Apostle 105. At the time, they seemed like the absolute perfect addition to my lineup; fat enough to float the deep stuff without compromising performance and versatility elsewhere on the mountain. I constantly asked myself, "Why would I need anything fatter for inbounds skiing in the Rockies?"

Well, this season I got the answer to my question when I stumbled upon a pair of Movement Fly Smashers. Movement is a Swiss company that has made a name for itself by producing stiff, hard-charging but low-weight touring skis. Although relatively obscure in North America, Movement skis have found their way to the top of countless podiums in European big mountain events. Kevin Guri won the Verbier Xtreme on the Fly Swatter 125, the big brother to the Fly Smasher 115.

The FLY range is a collection of fat skis designed for the backcountry, but their attributes make them equally at home inbounds and in a variety of conditions. A five-point tip and tail, pronounced rocker, and camber underfoot all work together to create a ski that can surf three-dimensional snow while remaining poppy and dynamic on groomers and hardpack.

I've put about five days on these skis this season, subjecting them to conditions from hardpack to knee-deep powder. One thing that immediately became apparent was that the Fly Smasher is a stiff ski, despite its poplar wood core. I expected a bit of chatter in the tips while carving Arapahoe Basin's WROD, but was pleasantly surprised to find that they remained incredibly stable, even at high speeds. While they certainly require a bit more work to tip on edge as compared to a traditional frontside carver, I still found them really fun to ski on piste.

After having tested the waters on some early-season hardpack, I decided to hang up the Fly Smashers and wait for the snow to pile up. It didn't take long for Wolf Creek to amass a 45-in. base with 100% of its terrain open. With another 5 to 8 in. in the forecast, we decided to pack up the car and take a ride to the San Juans. I packed light and only brought one pair of boards, my Fly Smasher 115s.

The first day we found ourselves skiing mostly untracked leftovers from the previous storm. The snow was soft, and the mountain skied great. We spent the majority of the day hiking Knife Ridge and skiing the low-angle trees down to the Alberta lift. Finally having the opportunity to ski deeper, untracked snow, I found the Fly Smashers to be incredibly nimble. They floated the surface and steered effortlessly from one turn to the next, allowing me to ski tight tree lines with confidence.

Another thing I discovered was the durability of their bases and edges. I uncovered plenty of rocks throughout the day and was sure that my bases would tell a story of overzealous powder chasing in December. I even dropped a 10-ft cliff and landed directly on a large rock hidden just below the surface. To my amazement, my bases came out of that day unscathed.

That night the storm we were chasing delivered, and we awoke to 6 in. of fresh at the base and considerably more in the wind-blown areas around Wolf Creek. I knew that it was time to see what these skis could really do. I opened them up in some deep, untracked snow and confirmed that the Fly Smasher is the real deal when it comes to big-mountain ripping! I took them off some larger cliffs and even got them upside down off some natural features. I was able to negotiate all of my landings with ease, including a 25-ft drop into deep, low-angle powder. While other skis would have bogged down and resulted in a spectacular tomahawk, the Fly Smashers stayed with me every step of the way.

While these skis have excelled in almost every category, they do fall short in a couple of areas. The width and stiffness make them a bit unruly in firmer bumps. They are not terribly quick from edge to edge, so you may want to rethink that zipper line you were eyeing up. I also found them to be a bit of a rough ride in variable chop: they are certainly capable of powering through crud, but they are not particularly damp. Perhaps some metal in their construction could help to diminish this transfer of energy.

All things considered, I've been extremely impressed with these skis so far. From their performance to their lightweight, durable construction, the Fly Smasher 115 has continually exceeded expectations.

• Who is it for? Advanced/expert big-mountain skiers who are constantly on the hunt for fresh, untracked lines and burly drops; intermediate and advanced skiers looking for a versatile ski with an off-piste bias.
  • Who is it not for? Beginners and intermediates skiing on piste, skiers seeking out moguls, park rats.
  • Insider tip: The lightweight construction makes them an ideal touring setup.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We spent the majority of the day hiking Knife Ridge and skiing the low-angle trees down to the Alberta lift.

This has been the unintended good surprise for me, having held for years before finally buying into the 115 width.

My home area (Mt. Hood Meadows) is mostly not very steep. The wide skis let me link a lot more turns where I used to just have to straight line. For me, more turns = more fun!

Thanks for the review. It seemed like Movement made a bit of a run at the US market a few years ago, then went kind of silent recently.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice review and photos, thanks.

I've been to Switzerland skiing a couple times and regularly see Movement and Black Crows on the slopes.

liv2ski

Sierra Cement Inspector
Skier
One of my favorite brands for sure. I have had a few pairs over the years and have found them to be outstanding skis that are fairly light and durable. Sadly, my last pair of Source skis are now my rock skis and I didn't need them this season. Maybe I will take them out on my next trip to Mammoth, for old times sake. Telemark Pyrenees sells them and ships to the US.

TS
dean_spirito

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
One of my favorite brands for sure. I have had a few pairs over the years and have found them to be outstanding skis that are fairly light and durable.

The only other ski that I've been on is the Team. Although It is their traditional park/pipe ski, I can honestly say that it is a great all mountain ski that anyone could enjoy. Light weight, but solid construction. And much like the Fly Smasher, they are surprisingly stiff for a ski that contains no metal.

Definitely a brand worth keeping a close eye on. I suspect they will successfully penetrate the North American market within the next few years.

Sponsor

Staff online