• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Long-Term Test: Kicker P.O.T.U.S.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Kicker is a relatively new ski manufacturer from Washington … D.C., that is -- you know, the center of the ski design universe. Yes, we really didn’t expect skis to come from the District of Columbia either, but don’t click away yet. Think about Mid-Atlantic skiing: 500- to 1,000-ft vertical hills of snow usually groomed with a Zamboni, and the trails that aren't groomed with an ice shaver are usually covered in bumps.

Many independent ski manufacturers have come to market over the years, and the common theme is that their skis tended to be well over 100mm underfoot. This is an area where Kicker differs dramatically. Kicker offers the 75mm Filibuster, the 86mm P.O.T.U.S., the 92mm Furlough Friday, and a 90mm park ski, the Flight Deck. All sizes posted are the reference sizes. Kicker builds its skis proportionately, so the book-end lengths will have the same on-snow feel as the middle ones, a philosophy not used by enough manufacturers. Kudos to @kickerfrank and @KickerPaul. Kicker has created skis for the conditions that the average skier actually skis rather than the conditions they dream of skiing. What a concept.

The P.O.T.U.S. is Kicker's asymmetric 86mm All-Mountain ski. I took the skis over to Truckee Ski Works, and Soren gave them a new tune with 1°/2° edge angles. He was pretty impressed with the quality of the ski, pointing out that the bases were nice and flat, which is almost a luxury with some small manufacturers. I believe a lot went into the design process since they have used carbon fiber stringers, poplar/maple core, and Countervail damping system in the construction. I mounted the skis with some Tyrolia Attack 13 demo bindings, which not only ski well and adjust easily, but most important allow us to move the binding fore and aft in order to play with the center point. After a fresh coat of wax, the skis were ready to go.

IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG IMG_0346.JPG

How do they ski? Conditions at Northstar that afternoon were perfect; the snow was cold and chalky, and a variety of terrain was open, from groomer zoomers to nice-sized bumps on the backside. I found the P.O.T.U.S. to be happiest in the bumps and crud on the sides of the backside trails and along the tree line. It pivoted easily through the bumps and had no problem transitioning from the troughs to the tops of moguls. Its construction kept the ski quiet when I hit crud and older snow hidden underneath. I really think the P.O.T.U.S. will be at home in the trees and bumps of the Northeast, just what it was bred for. On the groomers, it was more comfortable in medium to longer S-shaped turns.

I think Kicker is onto something with its ski design, and the P.O.T.U.S. is a fine start, a much better initial offering than most new manufacturers put forth. I am excited to see what is coming in the future. Look for @Tricia's review on the Filibuster as soon as she gets out on it.
  • Who is it for? Kicker hit the nail on the head for an East Coast ski that is fun in trees and bumps.
  • Who is it not for? Short-turn carvers: the P.O.T.U.S. will slarve a short turn but not carve it; I am guessing this is who the Filibuster is for.
  • Insider tip: Mount +1cm and make sure you have a good tune.

MANUFACTURER'S SITE: Kicker Snowsports
PRODUCT PAGE: Kicker P.O.T.U.S.

Last edited by a moderator:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What was the issue with the factory 'hand tune'?
It was a little inconsistent. Not too uncommon when they are rushing to get the ski out to a tester. I have seen it many times before, one of the reasons I will prefer to get a ski tuned before it is snow,

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm a resort reviewer, not a gear reviewer, but here are my comments after taking three models of Kickers skis for some demo runs at Whitetail Ski Area in south-central PA on a foggy Jan 8, 2016:

Representatives from mid-Atlantic start-up ski makers Kicker Skis were there and I had a chance to meet with KickerFrank and others from the company. Because of the local connection I was particularly interested in their skis and tested three models for three runs each and had a blast. All the Kicker skis I tried were in the low to high 170s cms in length.

The Filibuster by Kicker is a front side carver at about 75mm underfoot. Frank recommended I really lay this one over; that is, get a little speed and some serious arc. That was difficult to do in the pea soup weather conditions. Also, my turns with this ski were my very first of the season, but each lap I took with this ski off the high speed quad I learned a little more about how to tap into its energy. It definitely was super turny. Then I skied the Furlough Friday all mountain twin tip ski which is 92mm underfoot. I found it instantly friendly, but it just didn’t quite have the pop of Filibuster. I might have gotten more out of this ski on a day when visibility wasn’t so bad and I could get more aggressive and try it at higher speed. Also, I’m not really a park guy at age 62 and didn’t use it in that environment although Whitetail had some park features open on two runs. Finally, I tried the POTUS all mountain ski which is ~86mm underfoot. I got very comfortable with this ski and could have stayed on it all day. It was pretty quick with respect to turnability. It has a moderate sidecut that I thought might make it good in bumps, but there weren’t any at Whitetail on Friday to experiment with. Maybe I’ll catch up with the Kicker guys again this season?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
After another morning on the P.O.T.U.S., I figured the ski out a bit more. I initially thought that the tip needed to be a bit wider, but actually it is the tail that needs more taper to match the tip design. The tip felt a little vague because the tail was pushing it through the turn. I think they have two skis here....For the P.O.T.U.S. bring some taper into the tail and that would make it a bit better as an off-piste tree ski and even in some bumps. Base the second ski off of the flared tail, and bring a tip to match -- say, the tip from the Filibuster, which was a blast to ski, and then make a Filibuster 86, which could be a very good ski. They would be offering two skis in the mid-80mm range that would be very different in feel: one 70/30 off piste, and one 70/30 on.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I skied the Kicker POTUS today during a demo day at Blue Mtn. Pa., Just as @Jim Kenney wrote above, the Kicker Team was great to meet and I spent a few minutes talking with KickerFrank about their line of skis. One caveat about my experience is that it was done on day 2 of this season, and, the POTUS was the last of 5 demos that I did. It gets confusing after a while, at least for this brain, or lack of brain. So both my technique and legs are not quite where they should be to fairly evaluate a ski, and, my preferences are toward a more narrow carver, especially at the limited white-ribbons-of-death at Blue. Conditions were all over the place, soft, firm, ice, death cookies etc. With that in mind:

The POTUS skied as a nice, neutral 85-ish all mountain ski. Get it on a little edge, it carves, work on drifted turns and it comes around very nicely. Friendly would be a good description, as, Jim states it's a ski that could be skied all day very comfortably. There were only blue groomers to ski and I never tried to push the limits. Honestly, I would need to spend more than 20 minutes to give it a fair evaluation. @Philpug told me he will bring this ski to Aspen during the Gathering and I'm welcome to take it for a day., I will try to make that happen.

I also skied the Kicker Fillibuster, Phil tells me Trish will do a report soon on that model, I'll wait for that thread to open before a report out, but, I liked it.:)

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Opportunity knocked. I answered. It was the P.O.T.U.S. in 178. The 86 mm waist was easy to get from edge to edge once I figured out I needed to really drive the tips with lots of forward pressure -- a somewhat odd feeling and a departure form skiing the middle of my foot. The tip and tail seem to disagree at points during the turn. An alteration to either will increase this ski's performance. A few tweaks here and there and the P.O.T.U.S. will make a nice mid-80 ride.

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
Opportunity knocked. I answered. It was the P.O.T.U.S. in 178. The 86 mm waist was easy to get from edge to edge once I figured out I needed to really drive the tips with lots of forward pressure -- a somewhat odd feeling and a departure form skiing the middle of my foot. The tip and tail seem to disagree at points during the turn. An alteration to either will increase this ski's performance. A few tweaks here and there and the P.O.T.U.S. will make a nice mid-80 ride.

I skied the P.O.T.U.S. the same day as Kevin. Beaver Creek reported 7" that day but where we were skiing I would say there was more like 2"-4" on top of some hardpack. I agree with his description, particularly the need to drive the tips with what I would call "extreme" forward pressure. I think I am about 100lbs lighter than Kevin so for me this was a rather difficult task. I think the reason for this need to pressure the front of the ski so much comes back to Phil's notion that the tip design doesn't totally match the tail design. I think if I had spent a full day on this ski I would have figured it out. One thing I will say, however, is that I was impressed with the quality of construction. I am extremely rough on my equipment (actually the trees, rocks, and rails I ski on are rough on my equipment, but I can't say I make much effort to avoid them). I have no doubt that the P.O.T.U.S. could withstand the abuse I would put it through over the course of a season. And I really think that is saying a lot. In the last 5 years, I have had very, very few skis that have made it through a full season. With the P.O.T.U.S. I believe the construction is there, the design just needs a little tweaking.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Maybe in eastern pa, but in say Timberline, Wv with its 250 inches of snow a year sure why not have a wide ski. Also the western New York skis areas as well.

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
After I demoed POTUS at Blue Knob I bought them and was very happy with the purchase. I have only skied them a few days before the season ended in mid-Atlantic. What I have gathered from a few days I skied them that they were great in bumps, slushy spring snow and variable snow. My skis before POTUS were Kenjas and I like POTUS in bumps and varibale snow much more than Kenjas. POTUS had great edge hold on icy patches too. In my opinion they are a really fun all-mountain ski. I will be posting more of my impressions next season as I ski more on them.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
But you did say Blue Knob, Oops-no Olesya C just posted that demo.
Comprehension is lower after several beers.

FWIW, I'd rate Blue Mtn. highest in Pocono's (maybe Elk ties)

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I skied them at BK.. more like they skied me. This ski really does turn itself with little additional effort on the part of the pilot... unless you want a turn shape that isn't exactly the same radius they are designed to track. Other turns take a lot more effort and muscle. You really CAN buy A turn with these, actually two, 1 left and 1 right. Don't get me wrong though, I could make them do pretty much whatever I wanted them to, but not as easily as non symmetrricals.. the ones with the inside edge tighter radius than the outside specifically.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
If i hadn't grabbed the M88s and slapped Piston on them, one of my summertime projects would have been to graft an Atomic doubledeck onto a POTUS. The one primary thing I was missing on that ski at 7S was tip drive.

Sponsor