• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for 2nd Ski for Powder

dmvskis89

Booting up
Skier
I'm a predominantly East Coast skiier but am starting to fold in an annual West Coast trip. My current ski is a 2022 Rossignol Experience 82 Ti (184 cm). I'm 6'0" / 190 lbs, advanced skill level, and I spend most of my time charging on groomers.

I currently have one set of skis - 2022 Rossignol Experience 82 Ti (184 cm). I'm looking for a wider pair that won't sink into powder (but that are still fairly versatile), and found some really solid deals on a handful of skis. Would really appreciate any feedback on these, especially on whether this length range is correct (I'm not an expert in ski dimensions, but my understanding is that I should go a bit longer for this type of ski).
  • '21 Head Kore 99 or 105 (189 cm)
  • '22 Line Sick day 104 (186 cm)
  • '22 Elan Ripstick 106 (188 cm)
  • '22 K2 Mindbender 108 Ti (186 / 193 cm)
  • '21 Atomc Vantage 107 Ti (189 cm)

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What you have there are more generalist soft snow skis vs. pow day specific.

The lengths look fine.

Also look at
Salomon qst
Dynastar m free
Nordica unleashed

Recommend you look all these skis up on the ski selector and see what resonates with you.

Last edited:
TS
D

dmvskis89

Booting up
Skier
What you have there are more generalist soft snow skis vs. pow day specific.

The lengths look fine.

Also look at
Salomon qst
Dynastar m free
Nordica unleashed
Thanks! I should have been more specific, sorry. I'm looking for a reasonably versatile ski for west coast conditions with enough float that I don't feel the need to go rent another pair on a powder day, and that won't cost an arm and a leg (and from what you said the skis I've listed sound about right). I don't think I can justify buying a pure powder ski.

Last edited:

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You don't need a pure powder ski, stuff gets tracked out pretty fast.
I think all these skis are ok. Get one.that's stiffer in the shovel so it powers thru crud.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Of just the ones you listed, OP, the problem with almost all of them is those get tossed in crud,
so they require quick feet and more work to keep things working well - possible, but not preferable, for most.

Two possible exceptions: the Kore 105/189 and the Mindbender 108/193 or 186?
(The Line Sick Day works well if you're more of a slarver than carver.)
(And of the ones @Tramano listed, both the M Free - in both 108 and 118, actually,
perhaps surprisingly for your stated purpose - and the Salomon Quest.)

The Kore 105 is light but stiffer and easier to have quick feet with now and then when necessary,
and would be optimal for all but deep and rough or heavy snow days, probably.
In normal or average conditions, it's very smooth and fun.
I say "probably" because of the heavier snow on the west coast. That would tend to toss the 105.
In the Rockies, on the other hand, that 105 Kore would be fine, fun.

The '22 108 Mindbender can be great or not so, depending on the particular qualities of the pair of skis you get.
I demoed a great pair, five star, at 186, but I purchased a not so great 186 pair, that got tossed, was not nearly as dialed in while turning,
and I got rid of them eventually.
Others have fared better, and gotten pairs that were like the ones I demoed: just amazing skis.

As just an advanced skier at 6', in your case, not sure if the 193 108 MB would be too much ski. Very interesting option, however.
It would be less likely to be as versatile in tight trees or big bumps.

The newest, 22/23 MB 108 has slightly changed, and is said to be stiffer, and probably thus better in terms of holding its own in crud,
than the worst of the '22 and earlier batches. It may be that it is just more consistently like the good ones from earlier.
(I'm going to demo it to see for myself when I can. You might do the same, if possible.)

(The M Frees are a blast, but have sort of a carbon ski feel that doesn't really effect the performance.)

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You have a good list, you could just go ski on any these at a resort and have a good time in the soft snow.

You may want to think about how you want to ski it. Do you want to charge an open bowl? Do you want to seek fresh snow in the trees? Do you want to challenge yourself in steeper technical terrain and chutes? Do you just want to go explore and have fun?

May help narrow down the choices.

TS
D

dmvskis89

Booting up
Skier
Definitely more carver than slarver. I don't have much interest in glades and generally don't love bumps. Looking for something that can charge an open bowl and handle steep terrain, stable at high speeds, can handle crud and still has a nice amount of float for powder days.

I'm thinking I might roll the dice on the '22 K2 Mindbender 108 Ti 186 cm since I can get a new pair on sale for $325. But I also can get the '21 Head Kore 105 189 cm with bindings for $360 so it's a tough call. Also I misspoke. As someone who grew up skiing almost exclusively in Virginia, I've always just referred to anything west of the Mississippi as "West Coast" skiing. I honestly didn't realize there was such a difference between Rockies and West Coast in terms of snow density. I'm actually going to the Rockies every year, so it sounds like the Kore 105 could be a solid option.

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Only one on that list that won’t suck in crud and happens to have good float for it’s width would be the Mindbender 108Ti. The others are just too light for tracked snow or crud.

Some heavier, beefy metal bindings would help add some weight and dampening to the skis too.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Not one with specific new ski advice but rather ways to look at powder ski needs.

There is something to be said about understanding the kind of fresh powder skis for the usual type of powder snow conditions one is most likely to experience in order to be able to ski that powder the way one likes and wants to. Since fresh powder given advanced technique is arguably the most enjoyable possible visceral skiing experience, there is value in selecting an accessory tool in a minimal quiver that can deliver that most epic experience when powder is the good dry cold fluffy dust stuff without sacrificing too much of a fun factor that its all about. Lacking that level of technique it may not matter. The average powder in different locations tends to vary in an overlapping range of quite describable ways that require somewhat different tools. Higher elevations, more continental locations do better more often.

For this person that has a capability of making rapid bouncing turns using skis, a wide soft ski opens up a huge part of treed and rocky lower mountains many others ignore. But when fresh powder is heavier and less than say 15 inches deep, my 88mm at the waist 165cm 2020 Nordica Santa's I ski bumps and groomed well with do just fine making beautiful looking S tracks. Above that depth, my 2012 173cm 110mm waist S7's are the funner skis and the S7 also do well at shallow depths. But not heavier cut up powder because the softness allows too much uneven deflection from irregular snow forces. Cut up is a menu item I personally given choice move back to bumps or even groomed instead of digesting. But then I mainly ski at 2 resorts where I can find long untracked lines early on a fresh day and short perfectly fun short shots later after others are eating chewed on leftovers.

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Definitely more carver than slarver. I don't have much interest in glades and generally don't love bumps. Looking for something that can charge an open bowl and handle steep terrain, stable at high speeds, can handle crud and still has a nice amount of float for powder days.

I'm thinking I might roll the dice on the '22 K2 Mindbender 108 Ti 186 cm since I can get a new pair on sale for $325. But I also can get the '21 Head Kore 105 189 cm with bindings for $360 so it's a tough call. Also I misspoke. As someone who grew up skiing almost exclusively in Virginia, I've always just referred to anything west of the Mississippi as "West Coast" skiing. I honestly didn't realize there was such a difference between Rockies and West Coast in terms of snow density. I'm actually going to the Rockies every year, so it sounds like the Kore 105 could be a solid option.
You seem to be farther out on the "charger/carver in the open" spectrum than I'd guessed.

"Stable at high speeds" plus "nice amount of float for powder days" is sort of a unicorn ski, in my experience: few and far between.
I'm still looking, myself. (Even my favorites still lack some "best" float.)

From your listed skis, none except the MB 108 186/193, maybe, would work, more than likely -
as @GregK said. IF you get one of the good pairs.
And probably not optimal carving back East.
(This year's version might work better, but it will not be on sale at such steep discount.)

The longest Kore 105 would only be 50/50 at best for you, I'm betting, and again, not on ice or hardpan patches,
and lacking that kind of "high speed stability," probably even in the longest length; and lacking "nice" float in more than 6" or so.
It works great, however, for a smooth, bit more laid back advanced/expert skier in the Rockies not so much in a hurry, on an average pow day -
like some of the folks I know who love that ski.

The skis that are great for "stable at high speed" tend to work great in crud, but not with "a nice amount of float." Adequate, but not "nice."
Especially if they are in the more versatile widths (105 to 112).
With the description you gave, plus your terrain and how you ski (and mostly in the Rockies rather than back East),
some safer bets would be
the Head Kore 111/189 or 117/189;
the Dynastar M Frees 108 & 118/189; or
the Salomon Blank 112/194.
These carve well, very fun on packed powder groomers in the Rockies; but probably not so well on hardpan or Eastern intermittent ice back East.
All three (to five) would up your game, yet ski fairly easy, not burly.

And at your size, probably lean towards the longest lengths for such stability in crud
(as long as you're not a big bump or tight tree guy, hunting out the stashes).
A few samples:

(The Kore 117/189 is best this year or last, since they changed it for the better.)

(The Blank has been a runaway best seller, and is hard to find in the best length, 194; but from demoing it, it's great.)

Last edited:
TS
D

dmvskis89

Booting up
Skier
I have a ski for East coast carving already so not worried about that. I guess if the combination of attributes I said doesn't exist then I could lay off the "stable at speed" criteria since I do have a ski that can do that already and I probably won't be going as fast on this ski as I would on my Experience 82 Tis. I actively avoid bumps and trees so not worried about that really at all.

Also it looks like the '22 Head Kore 111 and 117 come in 184 or 191, not 189. Would 191 be too much?

Thanks so much for all the advice, super helpful!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
You seem to be farther out on the "charger/carver in the open" spectrum than I'd guessed.

"Stable at high speeds" plus "nice amount of float for powder days" is sort of a unicorn ski, in my experience: few and far between.
I'm still looking, myself. (Even my favorites still lack some "best" float.)

From your listed skis, none except the MB 108 186/193, maybe, would work, more than likely -
as @GregK said. IF you get one of the good pairs.
And probably not optimal carving back East.
(This year's version might work better, but it will not be on sale at such steep discount.)

The longest Kore 105 would only be 50/50 at best for you, I'm betting, and again, not on ice or hardpan patches,
and lacking that kind of "high speed stability," probably even in the longest length; and lacking "nice" float in more than 6" or so.
It works great, however, for a smooth, bit more laid back advanced/expert skier in the Rockies not so much in a hurry, on an average pow day -
like some of the folks I know who love that ski.

The skis that are great for "stable at high speed" tend to work great in crud, but not with "a nice amount of float." Adequate, but not "nice."
Especially if they are in the more versatile widths (105 to 112).
With the description you gave, plus your terrain and how you ski (and mostly in the Rockies rather than back East),
some safer bets would be
the Head Kore 111/189 or 117/189;
the Dynastar M Frees 108 & 118/189; or
the Salomon Blank 112/194.
These carve well, very fun on packed powder groomers in the Rockies; but probably not so well on hardpan or Eastern intermittent ice back East.
All three (to five) would up your game, yet ski fairly easy, not burly.

And at your size, probably lean towards the longest lengths for such stability in crud
(as long as you're not a big bump or tight tree guy, hunting out the stashes).
A few samples:

(The Kore 117/189 is best this year or last, since they changed it for the better.)

(The Blank has been a runaway best seller, and is hard to find in the best length, 194; but from demoing it, it's great.)

A 189 older Kore 99 is solid, and with a good tune, goes pretty well on firm spots. I much prefer it to the 105 as it goes through, not over, chunder. Just had a 191 111 delivered... not alot of taper, which generally means good things in the preference pool.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
If you’re willing to go as wide as 115mm, the Enforcer 115 would still be a very good option too. Very good carver, float and crud performance. More weight(300gr) but more forgiving and better carvers than a 191cm Kore 111 or 117. Measures 188.5cm so won’t be “too much” for your size. More precise than the MB 108Ti too.

Last years version(just different top sheet) is available for $629 CAN/$460 US too.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have the first year Kores, and they are not good at all on a hard surface...such as the morning frozen surface following a warm day.

Last winter I made two trips to Vail, one to Steamboat, one to the Canadian Monashee range, two to Whistler, one trip to Bachelor, and had a total of 2 powder hours. Unless one lives in powder country and can ski when the snow comes, you may never see the powder. The Skitalk review shows your Rossi to be versatile, but maybe the 184 is on the stiff side for your size & skiing for crud & shallow fresh snow. (As skis are made longer they're made stiffer.)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This thread is kind of all over the map.
If you're looking at a ski that is versatile but has a powder/off piste bias for ski trips, then you seemed to be on the right track with some of your original list.

There were a few others suggested like the Dynastar M-Free, but I"d also consider the Rossignol Sender Ti
Here are a few cagematches that may help you out a bit.

Last edited:

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess if the combination of attributes I said doesn't exist then I could lay off the "stable at speed" criteria since I do have a ski that can do that already and I probably won't be going as fast on this ski as I would on my Experience 82 Tis.
Line sick days, dyna mfree, or solly qst based on this.

You could also just go demo skis your first trip and see what works for you. Come back with skis.

Sponsor