• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for a new E mountain bike. What's with the different wheel sizes on the front/rear?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Since I live minutes from great trails in Evergreen but continue to struggle with my asthma during climbing, I've decided that I'd like to get an electric mountain bike. I'm very drawn to Liv bikes since this would be my 4th bike from them and I've been quite happy with all of them but I'm open to others. I'm honestly, not sure on budget. Until 3 weeks ago I'd go to my dad for these kinds of questions but now that I can't do that, I'm turning to my next best resource.

One of the things I'm not familiar with that I've started seeing is that some bikes have a 29" front wheel with a 27.5" rear. Why?

Open to other input of things to look for as I research and buy.

robertc3

Out on the slopes
Skier
The 29" front is for added traction, stability, and ease of rolling obstacles. The 27.5" in the rear makes the bike quicker and some would say more fun. I am not sure how much that applies to something with the weight of an eMTB. I will let the eMTB owners chime in on what you should look for and what you should budget.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
e-mullets!

The 27.5" in the rear makes the bike quicker and some would say more fun. I am not sure how much that applies to something with the weight of an eMTB.

Also, arguably, the rear wheel will be stronger - not a bad thing if you'll be putting significantly more than ordinary leg power through it.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
One of the things I'm not familiar with that I've started seeing is that some bikes have a 29" front wheel with a 27.5" rear. Why?
Around here it's called a 'mullet' set up. ogwink A larger front is less nimble than a smaller wheel on single tracks, but rolls over stuff better as stated.

A friend changed out his wife's Pivot Shuttle to this set up. I'm not clear if it really makes a huge difference for her handling and climbing other than boosting her confidence. YMMV. She had a big wreck on her regular mountain bike and the bigger front can now handle more variables better. She's still dealing with PTSD from the crash.

A local shop owner wonders if it's simply yet another trend that will fade over time.:huh:

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
When I switched from 26 to 29 I felt the 29er was much more difficult to manhandle in tight stuff. Maybe that's because I'm on a 15" frame. I get the 29er is faster bit, yeah it rolls faster and offers more traction, but for me the 26 was more agile. Pick your poison..

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Pink skis for anyone are fully proven at this point

Exactly :)

I think someone might have just gone sour on 96ers a long time ago :)

1711675934879.png

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm very drawn to Liv bikes since this would be my 4th bike from them and I've been quite happy with all of them but I'm open to others.

Mrs. K had the previous Liv, and now has the new, top end version and loves it.

Not cheap. The "value" buy is the next model down. Note that Giant/Liv has started some aggressive price cutting on some models. Not sure if it will happen on this model, though.

Mrs. K's first Liv, in size XS, was 27.5+ at both ends, and she loved it. Plus, they seem to have all but disappeared from the places I ride.

The new one has the 29" front wheel, and she liked it, but did not quite bond with it fully. For kicks, I slapped the old 27.5+ wheel on her new bike, and everything clicked for her 5'2" size.

Anyone else here ride skinny features

Been there, done that, lived to tell the tale. No more skinnies for me!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The new one has the 29" front wheel, and she liked it, but did not quite bond with it fully. For kicks, I slapped the old 27.5+ wheel on her new bike, and everything clicked for her 5'2

I was going to ask about that. E-bikes kinda make it hard to see frame size adaptations on the geo charts. On analog Treks or Speshes it's trivial to spot.

Or do e-LIVs just chop some dimensions down and hope the rest works for the 5'2" like it does for the 6' 1" rider?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone else here ride skinny features and find smaller wheels way more intuitively accurate?
I will occasionally ride low-consequence skinnies - half logs, the wide side of a 2 x 6; not trials stuff. Don't have a sense of how I do on them with big vs. small wheels because I've been on a 29er for 15 years at this point.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online