• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Corey19

Booting up
Skier
I live in New England and just picked up skiing this year. I’ve picked it up pretty quickly I think. After only a handful of times out on the slope I am going down blacks and double blacks and hitting some glade trails.

One of my buddies let me borrow an old pair of K2 Aftershocks. They seem okay I think; but, I’m trying to venture into buying my first set of skis. I’be done some research and now understand a lot of about skis, but I’m still unsure which path I should go for my first pair.

As I said, I’m in New England. I like to do a lot of aide hits and just be generally playful. I enjoy doing glade skiing a lot. I also enjoy charging down the mountain and hitting new top speeds. Any day we get powder, I’m immediately driving to the mountain. i typically enjoy pushing my boundaries and think on a scale of 1-10 of aggressiveness, I’m probably around a 7 or 8. I’m 5’11” 160lbs.

I was wondering if you all could give me some specs on skis I should look for. Length, do I want them a bit longer for what I want to do, or shorter? Flex, this is what most confuses me, I’m not sure if I should do a medium flex or a medium-stiff. Width. Ect.

Any suggestions on specific skis are also great. I was looking into the Blizzard Bushwhacker, Blizzard Brahma, Völkl Kendo 88, Line Supernatural 86. Thank you everyone! Cheers!

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
As everyone is alluding to, boots are critical and more important than the first ski. They need to fit correctly and be of the proper flex for your abilities. If your heel lifts, your foot moves side to side or fore and aft, then see a boot fitter.

Are you keeping your shoulders square with the fall line, no wedging and linking turns with your weight forward, or are you gun boating with your legs spread and turning with your skis? My gut tells me, you aren't ready for a Kendo Or Brahma and should be on a 75-80mm ski to hone skills.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Buying boots is not necessarily the same as getting boots from a reputable boot fitter. Some stores will sell you boots that feel good. Good boot fitters will sell you boots that fit properly and are comfortable. The grossest mistake people make when buying boots is getting the too big for effective performance in favor of comfort.

Just last night, one of our boot fitters had someone come in that had a boot at least two sizes (if not more) too large. She came in looking for a punch in the shell to alleviate pain in her ankle. The pain was actually from the boot being too large and her foot moving around in her boot.

So...

The people that asked about your boots are wanting to be sure you have good fitting boots as 'you date your skis, you marry your boots'.

TS
C

Corey19

Booting up
Skier
As everyone is alluding to, boots are critical and more important than the first ski. They need to fit correctly and be of the proper flex for your abilities. If your heel lifts, your foot moves side to side or fore and aft, then see a boot fitter.

Are you keeping your shoulders square with the fall line, no wedging and linking turns with your weight forward, or are you gun boating with your legs spread and turning with your skis? My gut tells me, you aren't ready for a Kendo Or Brahma and should be on a 75-80mm ski to hone skills.

I had a buddy tell me that I should imagine keeping a dollar bill in place between my boot in my shin. I do that at all times. With a little bend on my upper body. Another thing I am always focusing on is keeping my upper body facing downhill and rotating my lower half to do my turns. Obviously it’s not perfect, but I do an okay job at keeping decent form.

TS
C

Corey19

Booting up
Skier
Buying boots is not necessarily the same as getting boots from a reputable boot fitter. Some stores will sell you boots that feel good. Good boot fitters will sell you boots that fit properly and are comfortable. The grossest mistake people make when buying boots is getting the too big for effective performance in favor of comfort.

Just last night, one of our boot fitters had someone come in that had a boot at least two sizes (if not more) too large. She came in looking for a punch in the shell to alleviate pain in her ankle. The pain was actually from the boot being too large and her foot moving around in her boot.

So...

The people that asked about your boots are wanting to be sure you have good fitting boots as 'you date your skis, you marry your boots'.

that was the first thing I was told when I started skiing. Boots, boots, boots. So, I made sure to spend my time on getting the proper ones from a reputable dealer.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Any of the skis you quoted in your first post would work for you; they will all be better than the old Aftershock. BUT, within a few weeks of skiing you will also want a 100mm+ ski. You -could- go up to the mid-90s for your daily driver ski if your focus is going to be tactical instead of technical.

The dollar bill visualisation is an OK meme for getting intermediates to pressure the boot, but don't enshrine it or set it in concrete - you will soon get to a point where you will have to focus on other sensations and goals.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Boots and skis need to match to some degree. One question not asked how stiff are your boots, if they are on the softer side and you get some stiffer skis you are going to struggle because you will under drive them. Same can be said if the boots are too stiff and the skis extremely soft, you’ll over drive them (unless you are experienced, even than not pleasant).

This has been posted before so a quick reminder:

Beginner boots 60-100 with soft skis, forgiveness for gross errors of the skier.

Intermediate boots 80-120 with stiffer skis, some forgiveness with with some responsiveness.

Advance boots 120+++ with stiff responsive skis, no forgiveness.

Depending on application this may vary a little.

Finally remember it is possible to soften a stiff good fitting boot but impossible to stiffen a boot that is too soft.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Personally I tend towards the stiffer side of the scale especially on boots as they don’t become a great boot until they are stiffer (has to do with construction and materials used). Second issue is these stiffness numbers vary not only between manufacturers but within manufacturers own product lines so again if in doubt go stiffer. Third it easier to ski with finesse with a stiffer boot as they are an immediate response.

So here is the question you really need to consider..... progressing as fast as you say you are, and invest in good skis based on your current level matched towards your boot, they will feel great for a short period and you will quickly out grow them and they will become your limiting factor (boots and skis) or you bite the bullet and look at buying both new skis and boots and look at the low to medium end of the advanced side.

Sorry to muddy to waters further but you appear to be at that stage where its going to be changing stuff as you improve or be a little over equiped and have a little difficulty until you catch up.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Are you still using a wedge any place other than the lift line? Can you link train tracks from turn to turn?

TS
C

Corey19

Booting up
Skier
Are you still using a wedge any place other than the lift line? Can you link train tracks from turn to turn?

I’ve never skied using the wedge. I don’t just bomb straight down the mountain. I do various sized parallel turns. I do side jumps (without doing any tricks) with relative ease.

TS
C

Corey19

Booting up
Skier
So here is the question you really need to consider..... progressing as fast as you say you are, and invest in good skis based on your current level matched towards your boot, they will feel great for a short period and you will quickly out grow them and they will become your limiting factor (boots and skis) or you bite the bullet and look at buying both new skis and boots and look at the low to medium end of the advanced side.

So, sell current boots, get new boots, new skis. Look for something on the stiffer side on both ends.

By the lack of answers regarding skis themselves, are you all trying to imply that skis don’t really matter much and I should just find any ski that has the specs that me and my boots

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So, if my boots are at 100, I should gravitate towards a medium flex ski?

You will be on a medium flex ski anyway - you are 5' 11" but you are well under 200# . There is no conflict and no mismatch here.

Don't get fussed about outgrowing anything - the idea is to have fun for the next 30-40 ski days. The boots you have sound like they should last and be appropriate for that long.

The lack of answers regarding skis come from the recognition that the overwhelming majority of (non-carving) all-mountain skis in the high 80-something range will fit approximately OK and that the biggest issue will be your budget and ski availability where you shop. You don't have any developed 'feel' preferences yet, so micro-choosing among ski models might be a fun waste of time for us but won't be terribly useful to you. My choice for you would be the Line, if it matters.

Pick what fits your budget and your fancy, learn to wax them and sharpen them and --own them all over the mountain.

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
So, sell current boots, get new boots, new skis. Look for something on the stiffer side on both ends.

By the lack of answers regarding skis themselves, are you all trying to imply that skis don’t really matter much and I should just find any ski that has the specs that me and my boots

How old are you? I'm guessing young, so nice job with this crowd. :)

Boots are set, find any decent used ski you can. Jski, 4Frnt and many others too choose from. These two mfg have good "garage" sale deals but don't know if they have anymore planned.

Liberty Helix 84
Liberty Origin
JSki Masterblaser or Allplay
4Frnt Vandal
Line Supernatural
Noridica Navigator
Head Caddy

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Demo list:

Narrower, groomer biased, will help you up your carving game faster
Brahma 82 173cm
Liberty VMT82
Head Monster 83X 177cm
DPS Cassair 82

Wider, half groomers, half trees and off piste
DPS Cassair 87
Brahma 88
Kendo

You are way better off demoing right now and figuring out what you like and at what length. You are light so ski with little tip rocker in a 170-173 will likely work well, but one with a lot of rocker, a 177-180 will likely ski a little better.

Demo lots, and try to find lightly used for cheap this time of year. Your wants and tastes will evolve. We marry our boots and date our skis. :)

Sponsor

Staff online