• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking to transition to off-piste, what're the best skis to buy?

toward

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I've taken a liking to skiing off-piste, been doing it on/off for about 3-4 years and want to fully transition to off-piste. I currently own a pair of Head Worldcup Rebels e.XSR Ski, and Salomon E S/MAX 8 XT (AND M11). Looking to buy a pair of skis that best suit freeride, can anyone reccomend some good brands?

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Hi toward. Welcome. If I were in your shoes I would rent/demo as wide a variety of skis as I could budget for it. Pretty much every brand has an excellent ski or two in its lineup. After trying several you might find a brand in a width and length you prefer over the others.

I ski off piste more than on piste if the conditions are right. Loads of fun. :)

fundad77

Aspiring Ski Bum
Skier
There are so many that ski very differently and off piste/freeride is a very generic description that encompasses a lot of terrain. There are literally 100's of skis to consider but the popular choices would be Rustler 9/10, Mantra 96/102, Enforcer 94/104, QST 98/106, Ripstick 96/106, Ranger 96/102, Blaze 94/106 and the list goes on and on. Find a place that has a lot of demos and ski one or two pairs a day in the terrain you want to ski.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Since you're in Cardiff, I assume you're skiing Europe? If so, are you planning on touring too, or just skiing lift-served off-piste terrain?

TS
T

toward

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Since you're in Cardiff, I assume you're skiing Europe? If so, are you planning on touring too, or just skiing lift-served off-piste terrain?
Yes Europe, I'm just based in Cardiff. A bit of both most likely!

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@toward , I don’t understand your question “recommend some brands” . Are you asking for a list of brands who manufacture all-mountain skis? That would be (almost) every brand. In fact, most offer several model lines, each in several widths.

If, instead, you are looking for a recommendation for a particular ski model, width and size, you need to provide way more info:

• Your height and weight
  • your skiing technique level
  • your ski style
  • terrain and type of snow you will be skiing them on
  • desired handling characteristics of the ski, ie loose/ stable , flickable, forgiving, directional or more centered, etc.
  • does weight matter (in case you’d be touring)?

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@toward , just as a heads up:
the term “freeride” is often used in Europe to denote any lift served off piste skiing. In North America, that term tends to conjure more associations with actual freeriding, ie: extreme terrain, high speeds, cliff drops etc. In other words, the style of skiing done in freeride competitions.

To avoid confusion, I tend to avoid that term when I’m talking about off-piste and backcountry skiing.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
There are so many that ski very differently and off piste/freeride is a very generic description that encompasses a lot of terrain. There are literally 100's of skis to consider but the popular choices would be Rustler 9/10, Mantra 96/102, Enforcer 94/104, QST 98/106, Ripstick 96/106, Ranger 96/102, Blaze 94/106 and the list goes on and on. Find a place that has a lot of demos and ski one or two pairs a day in the terrain you want to ski.
My first thought was Salomon QST 98, but yep, all those would be fine choices

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Seems to me we're also looking at typical conditions - trees? rocks? wide open, but ungroomed? heavy snow? powder? I think we'll assume non-buffed, but beyond that, what are conditions where you ski? Some places it means frozen moguls that are hit a lot but never groomed, others it means deep powder and tree wells.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Seems to me we're also looking at typical conditions - trees? rocks? wide open, but ungroomed? heavy snow? powder? I think we'll assume non-buffed, but beyond that, what are conditions where you ski? Some places it means frozen moguls that are hit a lot but never groomed, others it means deep powder and tree wells.

Depends on where the guide takes him :). I don't for a moment think he's going without.

Radial-tinsel

Booting up
Skier
I've taken a liking to skiing off-piste, been doing it on/off for about 3-4 years and want to fully transition to off-piste. I currently own a pair of Head Worldcup Rebels e.XSR Ski, and Salomon E S/MAX 8 XT (AND M11). Looking to buy a pair of skis that best suit freeride, can anyone reccomend some good brands?
Dual rocker in a length longer than you may be used to (since effective edge will shrink). I’d suggest also going with a non-center mount point as you may be more used to it already.
Now if you want to tour with this set up? I’d suggest looking at the tours you want to do and what folks are wearing for those tours instead of what looks hot online. I think the euro tour gear trends towards a lot skinnier than what is marketed towards North Americans - for good reason.

Sponsor

Staff online