• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Lost Trail Powder Mountain

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Lost Trail Powder Mountain was the last stop in my road trip (15 days of skiing in a 19-day trip) that included the Utah Gathering. After skiing some of the most well-known and crowded skis resorts, it was refreshing to spend time at a great locals mountain, with absolutely no crowds or lift lines, even on a Saturday.

Lost Trail is a unique ski area, as it sits on the Continental Divide, right where Idaho and Montana meet at Lost Trail Pass. It’s about 1 1/2 hours south of Missoula, and also attracts skiers and riders from Salmon, ID 45 minutes to the south.

The parking lot and base lodge are at about mid-mountain, so from the base (about 7200’ elevation) you can take Chair 1, which is basically on the ID/MT border. From there you can reach the entire area. Alternatively you can ski down to Chair 2 on looker’s left.
24C52FEA-51ED-470E-AD76-3D27FA6D3BBC.jpeg

The trees on the Idaho side (to the left of the above pic) are predominantly fir with some spruce, as you move more to the north on the Montana side, it changes to pines. I mention this because on both sides have extensive glades.

Top of Chair 1.
7812FB7B-D5C9-4F83-9D95-34EF102F39BD.jpeg

Pivoting to the right from the same spot to view the top of Chair 2.
B375DB11-9784-4B03-96C1-A8469053C214.jpeg

Chalky bumps. Highway 93 in the background.
C29230D4-552E-4271-A33B-66F4372ED712.jpeg

The next run over, groomers.
F5678E0D-B2F5-4A33-AD2A-EA99C54F2918.jpeg

Slightly tracked out snow from the previous days’ snowfall near Chair 5. I skied it, got untracked snow. Much fun, more so since there was no one else there skiing it.
1A8ED559-E883-466C-A65C-5BC07B0424CD.jpeg

At the Chair 4 side (MT) there are top-to-bottom pine glades for 1800’ vertical.
82DDF0E7-DD1F-4721-A4D4-671E7AE1D123.jpeg

Sking pine glades, absolutely no one around me, fresh tracks. Sublime.
A470D3EA-AAE9-423E-A347-0BF4E7797E2A.jpeg

Chair 4 lift line.
A71C6C36-540C-4D77-8D33-B90CF50986BD.jpeg

The day I was there, Saturday March 4th, there had been a couple of inches the day before; today they were calling it a groomer day. There were indeed some amazing top-to-bottom groomers, along with nice chalky cut-up bump and off-piste area, but the real fun was in the glades, where I could pop in and out and find untracked turns. There is a lot of terrain, and with 5 fixed grip double chairs, three of them pretty long, most runs were pretty empty, even on a Saturday.

Most of the skiing is served by Chair 1 (from the lodge), Chair 2 on the Idaho side and Chair 4 on the Montana side. Chairs 3 parallels US 93 (though you never see it, riding the lift the highway is above you the left) and has a few nice blue runs and a couple of the few green runs. Chair 5 is short and has some interesting rolling blue runs and one short black run. You can access both of these areas from Chair 4, so Chairs 3 and 5 only operate on weekends and holidays. There are two transfer tows, one at the top of Chair 4 to get you to where you can take a blue run, Oreo, back to the main area, where you will find the second transfer tow to get you back to the lodge. There is another tow for beginners near the lodge.

The terrain is mostly intermediate pitch, with a few black diamonds at the top of Chairs 1 and 2, and some legit double black terrain off Chair 4 called the The White House that has marked gates from Oreo. The White House has lots of different exposures, some with cliffs, chutes, and open bowls and other aspects with trees.

The White House. This line was called Sharks Fin.
F6573DFB-540D-4769-9717-8170B0C1A368.jpeg

The lodge at the end of the day. The food was surprisingly good with interesting options.
04200B7C-C657-4F8A-9F98-D8E1562A764A.jpeg

There is also a yurt at the bottom of Chairs 3 and 4, which is a good place to stop and warm up on a cold day, however for food they only had reheated Costco chicken pockets and snacks. Not a great option for food, but if you don’t want to take a long lift, then a transfer two or two, it’ll do in a pinch.

Overall, it was a great day, and if you are ever in the area, go, you won’t regret it. FWIW Lost Trail is on the Indy Pass, otherwise lift tickets are $58, $50 for 60 and older. Be aware they operate Thursday-Sunday, so plan accordingly. Thursdays have the potential for great powder days since they accumulate snow Mon-Wed. That said, I was there on a Saturday and was able to easily find some fresh tracks.

I’ll be back.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My kind of place...
Same! It's been on my radar since we drove past it several years ago while taking the scenic way home from N Idaho to UT. The Indy pass is probably going to be my next purchase, with Lost Trail on the agenda for next season.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Same! It's been on my radar since we drove past it several years ago while taking the scenic way home from N Idaho to UT. The Indy pass is probably going to be my next purchase, with Lost Trail on the agenda for next season.
Lost Trail, to Silver and 49 North, then to Brundage and Tamarack would make a sweet road trip for you.

Beaver, Powder Mt and Eagle Pt for closer to home.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Lost Trail, to Silver and 49 North, then to Brundage and Tamarack would make a sweet road trip for you.

Beaver, Powder Mt and Eagle Pt for closer to home.
Exactly! This would have been the year to do it with all the snow, but hindsight and all that...
49 North and Silver are close to my mom's place in Spokane. Bonus!

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And…and…and…I could probably meet you there. It would be fun!

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lost Trail Powder Mountain was the last stop in my road trip (15 days of skiing in a 19-day trip) that included the Utah Gathering. After skiing some of the most well-known and crowded skis resorts, it was refreshing to spend time at a great locals mountain, with absolutely no crowds or lift lines, even on a Saturday.

Lost Trail is a unique ski area, as it sits on the Continental Divide, right where Idaho and Montana meet at Lost Trail Pass. It’s about 1 1/2 hours south of Missoula, and also attracts skiers and riders from Salmon, ID 45 minutes to the south.

The parking lot and base lodge are at about mid-mountain, so from the base (about 7200’ elevation) you can take Chair 1, which is basically on the ID/MT border. From there you can reach the entire area. Alternatively you can ski down to Chair 2 on looker’s left.
View attachment 195248

The trees on the Idaho side (to the left of the above pic) are predominantly fir with some spruce, as you move more to the north on the Montana side, it changes to pines. I mention this because on both sides have extensive glades.

Top of Chair 1.
View attachment 195249

Pivoting to the right from the same spot to view the top of Chair 2.
View attachment 195250

Chalky bumps. Highway 93 in the background.
View attachment 195251

The next run over, groomers.
View attachment 195253

Slightly tracked out snow from the previous days’ snowfall near Chair 5. I skied it, got untracked snow. Much fun, more so since there was no one else there skiing it.
View attachment 195254

At the Chair 4 side (MT) there are top-to-bottom pine glades for 1800’ vertical.
View attachment 195255

Sking pine glades, absolutely no one around me, fresh tracks. Sublime.
View attachment 195256

Chair 4 lift line.
View attachment 195257

The day I was there, Saturday March 4th, there had been a couple of inches the day before; today they were calling it a groomer day. There were indeed some amazing top-to-bottom groomers, along with nice chalky cut-up bump and off-piste area, but the real fun was in the glades, where I could pop in and out and find untracked turns. There is a lot of terrain, and with 5 fixed grip double chairs, three of them pretty long, most runs were pretty empty, even on a Saturday.

Most of the skiing is served by Chair 1 (from the lodge), Chair 2 on the Idaho side and Chair 4 on the Montana side. Chairs 3 parallels US 93 (though you never see it, riding the lift the highway is above you the left) and has a few nice blue runs and a couple of the few green runs. Chair 5 is short and has some interesting rolling blue runs and one short black run. You can access both of these areas from Chair 4, so they only operate on weekends and holidays. There are two transfer tows, one at the top of Chair 4 to get you to where you can take a blue run, Oreo, back to the main area, where you will find the second transfer tow to get you back to the lodge. There is another tow for beginners near the lodge.

The terrain is mostly intermediate pitch, with a few black diamonds at the top of Chairs 1 and 2, and some legit double black terrain off Chair 4 called the The White House that has marked gates from Oreo. The White House has lots of different exposures, some with cliffs, chutes, and open bowls and other aspects with trees.

The White House. This line was called Sharks Fin.
View attachment 195258

The lodge at the end of the day. The food was surprisingly good with interesting options.
View attachment 195259

There is also a yurt at the bottom of Chairs 3 and 4, which is a good place to stop and warm up on a cold day, however for food they only had reheated Costco chicken pockets and snacks. Not a great option for food, but if you don’t want to take a long lift, then a transfer two or two, it’ll do in a pinch.

Overall, it was a great day, and if you are ever in the area, go, you won’t regret it. FWIW Lost Trail is on the Indy Pass, otherwise lift tickets are $58, $50 for 60 and older. Be aware they operate Thursday-Sunday, so plan accordingly. Thursdays have the potential for great powder days since they accumulate snow Mon-Wed. That said, I was there on a Saturday and was able to easily find some fresh tracks.

I’ll be back.
This is a fake report. Everyone knows lift tickets cost over 200 bucks. Parking must have cost another 50 bucks. First tracks tickets must have cost 500 more. You had to get a lift ticket reservation months ahead. You must have hired an instructor for $1000 to skip the lines. No one can afford thousands of dollars to ski this place. (sarcasm)

In all seriousness, this is a really cool mountain I hope to ski soon. Where was your lodging? Were there places to eat nearby? It looks like the closest towns are an hour or more away but there are some closer but small hotels. It would be pretty easy to also ski Discovery and/or Snowbowl on the same trip

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I had driven that morning from Lava Hot Springs, about 4 1/2 hours. After skiing at Lost Trail, I spent the night at a hotel in Hamilton, which is 45 minutes away, and another 45 minutes to Missoula.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great report on a great little place.

Food is good, and at least the last time I was there, cheap.

Lapping The White House on an uncrowded pow day. Heaven on earth!

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
From Seattle, drove to Rossland and skied 3 days at Red Mt, then a day at 49 Degrees North, then p/u SO at Spokane airport, next day at Schweitzer, then Silver Mt, then 2 days of sub-zero F weather and closed highways, then a day at Snowbasin and a day at Deer Valley. Then the Gathering week : Snowbird, Alta, Snowbasin, Sundance, Brighton, Snowbird. The a night in Lava Hot Springs and the 4 hour drive to Lost Trail.

Love Red Mt, but no new snow. Schweitzer is always fun and I know the terrain well enough to find some favorite places. After Schweitzer we stayed in Coeur d Alene for a couple days, then a night in West Yellowstone. Then Eden, UT for a couple nights. During the Gathering I stayed in Sandy. 4 of the 6 Gathering days were powder days and I'm sure you've read some of the Trip Reports, if not please do so.

Last edited:
TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
49 and Silver are both great, in particular each has different faces and exposures. For instance 49 has Angel Peak, which is somewhat apart from the main quad lift, and the Sunrise lift has a completely different aspect than the Express quad. Nice area.

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
Does anyone know the closing dates for Lost Trail, Silver, and 49N? My internet skills are lacking. Different websites have different dates. The dog and I are planning a dirtbag trip for middle April while wife is away visiting sisters. We weren’t invited.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
49N's announced they're staying open for April 14, 15, and 16... maybe later weekends too, still up in the air.

Sponsor