• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Love the ice?

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
So we had a pow thread turn icy. And isn't that so often the case on the hill? The pow is followed by a thaw freeze. :rolleyes:

So, now a dedicated ice thread.

Pow Vids on skiing ice...

There's this from Deb which is more about the approach - no big movements, exposes all your weaknesses, embrace the ice, love the ice...

This one from Fred with more specifics.

And there's a brief discussion on ice and equipment in this podcast with WC GS skier Charlie Raposo (relevant part starts at 53:15).... best bet (paraphrasing) is your own techie and 10 pairs of skis for the day. "It all comes down to how the edges are prepared - 100%".

What's your best ice skiing pointers?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Deb is totally right-no big angles, very measured pressure on the edges, light on your feet, delicate. Agree 100% with what she said.

P.S.If all the above fails, just put the damn things flat and fly through the ice patches.:ogbiggrin:

P.P.S. The second video: I am just dying for this type of snow man. Best days in the season.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
"It all comes down to how the edges are prepared - 100%
I love the sharp ski edges. Especially new ones like the 187 Experience that are in the mail or more likely in a crowded warehouse somewhere.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Deb is totally right-no big angles, very measured pressure on the edges, light on your feet, delicate. Agree 100% with what she said.

P.S.If all the above fails, just put the damn things flat and fly through the ice patches.:ogbiggrin:

P.P.S. The second video: I am just dying for this type of snow man. Best days in the season.

I think ice exposes those of us who are on too-stiff-skis.

If the ski is shaping your turns and not you, you will *not* have measured pressure on the edges nor be able to be light on your feet, and just forget about delicate unless we're talking bum wipes.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Look around a group on the hill. You'll see those who brace against their skis, and those who balance over their skis. Brace against the skis, stiff outside leg, hit a slick patch, and the skis go out from under you--butt bruise. Balance over your skis, hit a slick patch, and you and your skis skid along together. Balance front to back--centered on your feet, and balance left to right. Do everything very deliberately. Start the turns with the intention of making the smooth C, and continue around the bottom of the turn to control speed just as Deb says. Plan the turn size to plan your speed. Lean back toward the hill= doom. Twist around toward the hill= doom. Make Z turns and skid sideways=doofus.

Years ago I was on a big western mountain. A weird atmospheric condition happened, and the mountain was glazed. The guys who learned in the east were skiing around with big grins. The rest of us were making fear-allel turns.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Brace against the skis, stiff outside leg, hit a slick patch, and the skis go out from under you--butt bruise. Balance over your skis, hit a slick patch, and you and your skis skid along together.

Exactly!

Ice is a great teacher-you push too little, you skid, you push too much you crash. Only when you hit that perfect balance of edge pressure and angle you fly.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think ice exposes those of us who are on too-stiff-skis.

Too soft are not god either. Again-you need the perfect balance.
I found that for me personally the best ice skates are Fischer RC4 CT. I prefer them even over the mighty WRT ST in 180 because the Fischers have more uniform flex. They are stiff but not overly stiff, narrow and when properly tuned and edges sharpened so I can shave myself on them they are a delight on ice.
I even keep them especially for the hardest and iciest days and not ski them often-just to make sure the edges are maintained and ready at all times. They are pulled out only when everyone claims: It is unskiable today, impossible.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Coast over it if you see it.. Turn before or after it if you spot it. If you have to turn ON it, don't overcommit, keep your skis under our butt and shoulders. Now if you're rocking some legit SL or GS skis and it's just really hard injected.. go on with your bad self and shred it..

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If helps to be very specific about what "sharp" means. Can't tell you how many times this has come up on a lift ride and someone will say something like "I know it's not my edges because I just had my skis tuned last month."

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
This is why I groan inside every time I see 88mm+ skis recommended for "groomer skis" or east skis.

Without committing to lessons, nothing will teach you how to ski ice faster than Nastar or Beer League skiing on carvers. If you want to make the next gate, you have to toss them up on edge.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If helps to be very specific about what "sharp" means. Can't tell you how many times this has come up on a lift ride and someone will say something like "I know it's not my edges because I just had my skis tuned last month."

If they draw blood upon relatively light touch, they are good enough.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I drag a fingernail across the edge sideways and it shaves a chip off the nail, easily I call that sharp. How often to touch up the edges depends on the conditions you're skiing. I've known folks who switch skis left and right each day then tune on the 3rd day so each day starts with sharp edges..

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
This is why I groan inside every time I see 88mm+ skis recommended for "groomer skis" or east skis.

Without committing to lessons, nothing will teach you how to ski ice faster than Nastar or Beer League skiing on carvers. If you want to make the next gate, you have to toss them up on edge.
100% agree. My Enforcer 88 is going to be my widest ski this season unless I find a lot of change in the couch cushions. I picked up a 71 underfoot carver on closeout to complete my 2SQ.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I've known folks who switch skis left and right each day then tune on the 3rd day so each day starts with sharp edges..
Inspect them every day, sharpen with a Swix Evo every day or maybe two at most. Switch left to right to ski Rumor at Gore.

dm

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
If you begin to skid or chatter switch edges!

Can’t say that I love ice but I always thought if I could ski icy moguls, I could ski anything. In the days before quivers of equipment mine was always set for skiing ice because everything else seemed like a piece of cake in comparison. Too many years of that has taught my body to avoid it when there are other options but embrace it when ice is all you’ve got.

The trick for me is high edge angles. Tip em’ early & bend em’ into the arc as early in the turn as possible. Abrupt pressure will only cause the edges to break loose so try to regulate it evenly against the outside ski through the arc. The idea is to get your arc done mostly before crossing the falline. Use the energy stored in your skis, legs and core to project laterally across the imaginary rise line and begin the switch during this phase. Keep the skis aiming toward the outside or Apex of the next turn NOT downhill to where you finish. The idea is to get the direction done before the vector forces can line up and work against you. If you are extending or squaring up after the falline & fighting the outside forces you will begin to skid, chunder & chatter. Instead flex deeper, let the skis come around underneath you and absorb the forces before they absorb you.
164AFF58-E966-49B4-9AF7-7EE55E434B92.jpeg

A bevel of something less than 1° on the base and 3° or more on the side is what works best for me. To really perform well on ice they need to at least be touched up with a file or diamond stone the night before. Slalom racing skis are what I prefer for ice but a wider ski can work well too as long as they are tuned well & there is not much rise or rocker. I’m not really great or dedicated to ski tuning so I tend to bring my precious SL ice skates out only on the slickest days.
These are 101mm waist but full camber…
2FA8F08A-FCB3-4783-9216-58904433C006.jpeg

If none of that works, a well steered, round skidded turn can keep you safe but aren’t much fun ogwink. In high traffic areas I tend to use an old school short swing type turn with a quick edge set & on and off quickly.

Coast over it if you see it.. Turn before or after it if you spot it. If you have to turn ON it, don't overcommit, keep your skis under our butt and shoulders. Now if you're rocking some legit SL or GS skis and it's just really hard injected.. go on with your bad self and shred it..
^These are also some great tactical choices^. I will add that staying on lower angle slopes can make carving more realistic.

Enjoy every day! If you can’t be with the one you love, love the one you’re with :)
3FDBD6A4-68FE-469A-A274-61C59506CAA0.jpeg

Last edited:

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Ice is hopeless if your skis are dull. I tackle ice by not skiing it as much as possible... ski in the sun... ski out west... etc. If the day's plan is to ski ice or very firm groomer, then the skis must be tuned and ideally something narrow. Anything that slows the transition to the new edges is going to make ice harder to ski. With the right skis, very firm conditions are really fun. The locals know this in the dolomites. It's the idiot americans (who are used to skiing the hero snow of the rockies) that rent 85+ mm all mountain skis when they should be on cheater GS or SL skis.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online