• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MEN'S World Cup 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Odermatt
Sander
Kriechmayr

And I'm thinking Alpine Canada will feed on yesterday's confidence - perhaps another podium run? We shall see.

TS
Moose32

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Odermatt, Mayer, Kreichmayr. I think the soft snow eliminates some of the others (Paris, Kilde, Fuez). So more of the same today.
Shows you what I know. 1) Kilde, 2) Odermatt, 3) Ganong. Happy for Kilde and Travis.
I boasted here I was going to this race - my father's health and work puts me in the United Club at LGA following the race on FIS.com (sigh).

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
definitely didn't see Ganong putting one in there

I don't think anyone did, especially given the more technical set today and the more challenging surface (it really set up overnight). Very likely Travis was helped by not having a course report and simply skiing it and seeing where the chips landed.

The Canadians were too amped from yesterday: so much over-skiing of the track from them. C'est la vie.

And RCS' setup on Head isn't dialed in yet. He looked out of sorts from the get-go.

Sad to see Jansrud's crash. I'm guessing that's it for his career.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Sad to get this....race fan here. :(
Screenshot 2021-12-03 131541.png

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Sad to get this....race fan here. :(

FIS doesn't allow their YouTube livestream in the USA as NBC Universal holds the exclusive rights to OTA, cable, and online viewing. So in these United States it's Peacock or the subscription-only Ski & Snowboard Live service ($75/season thru Dec 5, $95/season thereafter) if you want to get a legitimate stream.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
FIS doesn't allow their YouTube livestream in the USA as NBC Universal holds the exclusive rights to OTA, cable, and online viewing. So in these United States it's Peacock or the subscription-only Ski & Snowboard Live service ($75/season thru Dec 5, $95/season thereafter) if you want to get a legitimate stream.

I watch on CBC (Canada) by switching my VPN

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier

EXCELLENT LINK RUDI.........thank you so much. :)

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What does the term "over-skiing" mean here? :huh:

Mostly a combination of any of the following:
- Laying down the edges too hard, thus scrubbing speed.
- Taking too direct a line which often means drifting wide, which is especially detrimental leading form steeps to flats.
- Trying to make up for either by doing the other.

Thompson's run was typical of this. He had an incredible podium result yesterday so today he really threw everything at the course. However, this set was a lot more technical, suited more to those with a GS pedigree, and wasn't going to tolerate a lot of errors. From the get-go he went too straight at the gates, got late, and had to jam on his edges to make gates. While he made most of these errors in the top third of the course the damage was done: he lost speed that can't be made up in the final third of the BoP run. By the end he'd ceded 1.94 seconds to Kilde.

James Crawford fared the best for Alpine Canada to he, too, made a few costly errors, mostly on the flats.

Trevor Philp had a corker of a run going (if FIS LiveTiming was any indication as the NBCSN feed had long since stopped) and likely would've ended up in the top 15. But he ended up a DNF.

That's the trick with super-G: it can vary from being speed oriented to tech oriented over a w-i-d-e spectrum of variables. Yesterday's set was more for the speed folk, today's was more for the tech folk. And all you get is an inspection to figure out the right line - it's tough, and that's what makes it awesome.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
That's the trick with super-G: it can vary from being speed oriented to tech oriented over a w-i-d-e spectrum of variables. Yesterday's set was more for the speed folk, today's was more for the tech folk.

Interesting to note Pinturalt was 6th both days. The happy medium between tech and speed?

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
"That's the trick with super-G: it can vary from being speed oriented to tech oriented over a w-i-d-e spectrum of variables. Yesterday's set was more for the speed folk, today's was more for the tech folk. And all you get is an inspection to figure out the right line - it's tough, and that's what makes it awesome."

Yup--that is why it has become my favorite event......yet why is FIS considering eliminating it???

"Interesting to note Pinturalt was 6th both days. The happy medium between tech and speed?"

Very impressive!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Loved the course set today even more than yesterday & the snow seemed more consistent. If I had seen the course ahead of time I may have made Pintu one of my picks.
Travis seems to hit the mark when you least expect it. Bravo for him & great for Kilde! Hoped for more from RCS & really sad to see Jansrud go down.
Thought the commentary was pleasantly un-annoying & actually enhanced the experience.

Vibes to you & your father @Moose32

Downhill tomorrow…

5D389D44-EE39-4372-AED2-089B14AF4F63.jpeg

Feuz
Mayer
Ganong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online