• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mezcal, Tequila etc - All things agave

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In order to get a useful response you need to come right out and name a dollar figure. What's your budget? (Not that I have any well informed answers, btw. But spending is spending.)

Let's say upper limit of $100.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Correct: it was, but not any more!

Currently my evening double is a "heavy" 1/2 oz of Madhava dark agave syrup, 3 ozs of Herradura Blanco or Reposado, and the juice from two large limes, plus rocks.
I've been making 3 ingredient margaritas like that for a while. I find adding orange liqueur usually makes them too heavy and sweet for my taste. The key, of course is good tequila and fresh limes.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Correct: it was, but not any more!

Currently my evening double is a "heavy" 1/2 oz of Madhava dark agave syrup, 3 ozs of Herradura Blanco or Reposado, and the juice from two large limes, plus rocks.
Interesting. Will try!

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
In that case I REALLY have nothing to contribute! [Tries to remember the most pricy booze he's ever tasted. Probably a cognac or armagnac. Definitely not tequila. And definitely not $100 at the time, though possibly in today's money.]

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In that case I REALLY have nothing to contribute! [Tries to remember the most pricy booze he's ever tasted. Probably a cognac or armagnac. Definitely not tequila. And definitely not $100 at the time, though possibly in today's money.]

Thanks anyhoo.

I'll just choose based on price, and assume a pretentious position on how special it is. :roflmao:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You never really differentiated between sipping and mixing - if sipping, look for an Anejo north of $70, assuming it's a big payback. For mixing, I'd say almost anything between 40 and 70.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
This^ I have never been let down. Also my friend with the Oaxaca connections drinks it so I feel that it must be a worthy distillate.
Not to mention they've got pretty cool labels on the bottles which, embarrassingly, is one of the reasons I tried it the first time. :roflmao:

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you're willing to stray a bit above $100, Don Julio 1942 (my favorite). Clase Azul Reposado is also expensive and good.
Less challenging to your wallet, but still quite good are Fortaleza Reposado and Casamigos Reposado (or the Casamigos Anejo or Extra Anejo for smoother flavor).

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
If you're willing to stray a bit above $100, Don Julio 1942 (my favorite). Clase Azul Reposado is also expensive and good.
Less challenging to your wallet, but still quite good are Fortaleza Reposado and Casamigos Reposado (or the Casamigos Anejo or Extra Anejo for smoother flavor).
We got some Don Julio last time we were in Mexico..no idea it was good stuff...we're not spirits drinkers really. We had a friend come over who is tequila-educated..and apparently it's good stuff!! :ogbiggrin:

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a glass of the Casamigos añejo at a bar, not knowing the price ahead of time. I really enjoyed it. Later I learned about the Hollywood connections and it put me off. George Clooney doesn't need my money.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Happy New Year from Stanley Tucci

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for bumping this thread!

I'll toss in some recommendations from the cheap-ass frugal drinker.

I find Reposado is the sweet spot for sipping. Herradura is my go to at ~$45. El Tesoro was my favorite but has become hard to find these days and has jumped in price to >$50+. Will agree with the Espolon recommendation, super value for less than $25. Don't be concerned by the Dia de los Muertos themed label, no foreshadowing there!

As for Mezcal, Sacrificio Reposado is smooth and smoky and a great value at around $40 (Phoenix area). I have only just begun to explore the mezcal. No worms thank you.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had guests show up during the holidays who brought several bottles of Clase Azul. $160 at the state liquor store. We quickly ran out and so they headed to the liquor store for several more bottles. Seems like there are plenty of Reposados for 50 bucks. When I balked at the price, they asked be how much I paid for some of the bottles of wine on my counter and which was the better value? Hmm….

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had guests show up during the holidays who brought several bottles of Clase Azul. $160 at the state liquor store. We quickly ran out and so they headed to the liquor store for several more bottles. Seems like there are plenty of Reposados for 50 bucks. When I balked at the price, they asked be how much I paid for some of the bottles of wine on my counter and which was the better value? Hmm….
Yeah ...... never, ever compare wine and liquor prices. That's what initially pushed me away from wine and towards liquor. Fortunately, there's more than enough variety and quality to complete with wine!

Not hidden but rarely considered: liquor has a muuuuch longer shelf life, even after opening! :martini:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We like Chichicapa Smoky Mezcal, but in very small quantities!
Chichicapa has a relatively light nose, yet it is deep and sweet on the tongue with lots of citrus and a complex character. It has a long finish with developing smokiness and a hint of chocolate and mint at the end.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Wow, a tequila thread. Very timely…. Im not as picky about my tequila as I am about my pinot noir. Generally I buy whatever 100% agave silver thats on sale, golds are usually too sweet for my taste. I never had mezcal till I was in Mexico City this past fall, it wasnt my favorite.

I don't shop at Costco(way too overwhelming for my simple mind) but the kirkland silver tequila comes in a 1.5 or 1.75 bottle, its a real good price and I find it quite good straight sipping.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
I had a glass of the Casamigos añejo at a bar, not knowing the price ahead of time. I really enjoyed it. Later I learned about the Hollywood connections and it put me off. George Clooney doesn't need my money.
My 22 year old daughter introduced me to Casamigos...dang, it is hard to purchase anything else now. They certainly drink way better at this age than my husband and I did!

No, George Clooney doesn't need the cash, but realistically which liquor companies are hurting for it?

Margaritas in our house = good tequila, fresh lime juice and a dollop of agave.

For those that love coconut, we also make a summer concoction with 1800 Coconut Tequila, coconut water, and lime juice. My daughter adds a splash of coconut cream to hers. Soooo good - like a Pina Colada but better as it is less sweet and well, TEQUILA!

Sponsor

Staff online