• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-80s Quiver Ski Has Become...Boring - What Next?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I would add the Volkl Decon 84 to the list of skis to try.
Or a pair of Deacon 80s.

I just picked up two new pairs of skis at the ski swap (besides used skis folk bring in, local vendors get rid of old stock there too) recently: Speedzone 12 Ti and Deacon 80 Lowrider. Despite being an intermediate ski compared to the more advanced Deacons, the Deacon 80s have a higher speed limit than the Speedzone 12 Tis.

TS
Jarngreipr

Jarngreipr

Vurt da furk!
Skier
I think you'd find the Rossi Exp 82ti to be more engaging than the K2 84 it would replace.

I love my 86tis, and find them far more engaging and "zoomy" than the Enforcer 88s they replaced.

And I'll just sniff the bait of "replace your 84 with an FIS Slalom ski" and swim away after hopefully answering your actual question.

Oh, and dang those Vikings!!!
Just had to go there, didn't ya? :D

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
Or a pair of Deacon 80s.

I just picked up two new pairs of skis at the ski swap (besides used skis folk bring in, local vendors get rid of old stock there too) recently: Speedzone 12 Ti and Deacon 80 Lowrider. Despite being an intermediate ski compared to the more advanced Deacons, the Deacon 80s have a higher speed limit than the Speedzone 12 Tis.
My top speed on the Speedzone 12s was 36mph. Great fun :)

Phatboy64

Booting up
Skier
Or a pair of Deacon 80s.

I have been wanting to demo the Decon 80…seems like a nice NE ski…

TS
Jarngreipr

Jarngreipr

Vurt da furk!
Skier
Wanted to circle back and provide info on where I landed with this. Ran across a pair of Stance 84s for a great price and mounted AM12s on them (also for a great price). Sold the iKonics and surprisingly ended up nearly a wash. Anyways, have 3 or 4 days on the Salomons now and they are fantastically more fun than the K2s ever were. I find myself bouncing out of turns, hunting for places to pop, and generally skiing more naturally (if that makes any sense). They probably don't hold a big arc on hardpack as well as the K2s might but I never really enjoyed that on the K2s either.

The Retired Skier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have only had my 82s out once this entire season, and I forced myself to take them on what was supposed to be one of the better groomer days. It started snowing early and I finished the day on my Enforcer 104s and had much more fun.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have an old pair of pro mtn 86 that I have kept arround. They are a really nice am ski if you want a ski that is neither a wide-narrow ski nor a narrow-wide ski. They just kind of cut it really down the middle. Really can do it all for a frontside ski. Carve well and handle fast cruising. But feel more workmanlike and not particularly thrilling carver. Superb bump ski. And even can take them up into some pretty gnar terrain / snow conditions and they seem manageable and perform better than you would expect.

Sponsor

Staff online