• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Moment Skis Discussion

Other Aaron

Give me Site Visits in Ski towns
Skier
Anyone skied the Commander Tours? Someone is selling an unmounted pair, and I need a crudbuster hybrid touring ski

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone skied the Commander Tours? Someone is selling an unmounted pair, and I need a crudbuster hybrid touring ski
I had a pair and sold them after a season. They felt really nice in 2 dimensional snow. The float was okay. I didn't love them in trees and they were a handful in breakable crusts.

I replaced them with the deathwish 104 tour and I prefer the dw for most backcountry uses. They're more forgiving but still handle chop really well too.

I like the deathwish 104 tour so much that I bought the full weight version a few weeks ago (they've been great through a days!). The commander tour wasn't a bad ski, but it didn't sell me on this style for moment. I still look at blizzard, volkl, etc. for the traditional shaped metal skis.

I really like the freestyle skis from moment

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I had a pair and sold them after a season. They felt really nice in 2 dimensional snow. The float was okay. I didn't love them in trees and they were a handful in breakable crusts.

I replaced them with the deathwish 104 tour and I prefer the dw for most backcountry uses. They're more forgiving but still handle chop really well too.

I like the deathwish 104 tour so much that I bought the full weight version a few weeks ago (they've been great through a days!). The commander tour wasn't a bad ski, but it didn't sell me on this style for moment. I still look at blizzard, volkl, etc. for the traditional shaped metal skis.

I really like the freestyle skis from moment
Have you tried the non-tour commanders? My guess is probably the same, hard to beat Volkl/Bluzzard for a metal charger. That said, very few people are buying charger skis these days at all, noting Blizzard is discontinuing their Bonafide/Cochise line with skis that are more friendly.

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
Have you tried the non-tour commanders? My guess is probably the same, hard to beat Volkl/Bluzzard for a metal charger. That said, very few people are buying charger skis these days at all, noting Blizzard is discontinuing their Bonafide/Cochise line with skis that are more friendly.
I have commander 98’s. Great ski. A lot of work. If you don’t give the ski what it wants form and speed wise it’s going to ski you. Charges with no speed limit. Without speed it can feel like of dead.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I have commander 98’s. Great ski. A lot of work. If you don’t give the ski what it wants form and speed wise it’s going to ski you. Charges with no speed limit. Without speed it can feel like of dead.
I was sure tempted to get that ski because of the graphics alone but passed on it since I have a Bonafide for that slot of the quiver.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep, the Commander (92) is no charger. Not a great piste ski either. Nor off piste.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I haven't. I also have the the Bonafide - the one with the retro top sheet - in that spot in the quiver. It replaced first gen M102s, which I also really liked. I picked up the Bones on Corbetts for 400 CAD. Commanders are over 1200 CAD after shipping...i get 10% off with my Blister membership...that helps, but not a lot.....so that's part of my reason for going with the bigger brands.

I would love to try the full weight commanders some time, but I'm not ready to spend over 1k when the German/Austrian brands do this type of ski so well.

The bonafides won't last forever, so we'll see when the time comes. I will be interested to see how the anomaly skis

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I haven't. I also have the the Bonafide - the one with the retro top sheet - in that spot in the quiver. It replaced first gen M102s, which I also really liked. I picked up the Bones on Corbetts for 400 CAD. Commanders are over 1200 CAD after shipping...i get 10% off with my Blister membership...that helps, but not a lot.....so that's part of my reason for going with the bigger brands.

I would love to try the full weight commanders some time, but I'm not ready to spend over 1k when the German/Austrian brands do this type of ski so well.

The bonafides won't last forever, so we'll see when the time comes. I will be interested to see how the anomaly skis
I also have the retro Bonafides I bought from Corbetts. SkiPro has them in stock for US $315; with discount code so I bought a backup pair noting the ski is discontinued next year

They have 177 and 189 lengths available.

I was tempted to buy last seasons Commander 98s on sale for $499 but it was tough when you can get Bonafides so cheap and not having a chance to have tried the Commanders.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Great timing Blister! Who wants to buy mine? Used for 3 runs.
Skimmed the blister review. The problem is I'm not sure the review would be all that helpful in determining if it's a ski one would like anyway. They basically say what I would assume about the ski. It's more oriented toward firm snow conditions but isn't a dedicated carver either. Tough to figure out if it's a ski you would like unless trying it first or someone with similar ski preferences recommended it.

What don't you like about the ski? Not good enough front side performance while also not great off piste, so it doesn't do anything good enough for you?

Sponsor

Staff online