• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Moment Skis Discussion

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
lets put this another way, for how I like to ski (5'10 pushing 190lbs sadly), the deathwish 104 (30+ days on em) is not the ski I'd take out if I was feeling like doing GS+ turns in a bunch crud/chop - in this case, I find I enjoy the fatcat more. However, some folks would have no qualms about using the Deathwish 104 for that use case.

Using another ski for example, I personally think the Bent Chet 120 is one of the most fun powder skis out there but it is absolutely miserable for me to use in chop/crud. However, pro riders like Sage Cattabriga uses it all over snowbird (ok they get way better snow than pallypine).

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
lets put this another way, for how I like to ski (5'10 pushing 190lbs sadly), the deathwish 104 (30+ days on em) is not the ski I'd take out if I was feeling like doing GS+ turns in a bunch crud/chop - in this case, I find I enjoy the fatcat more. However, some folks would have no qualms about using the Deathwish 104 for that use case.

Using another ski for example, I personally think the Bent Chet 120 is one of the most fun powder skis out there but it is absolutely miserable for me to use in chop/crud. However, pro riders like Sage Cattabriga uses it all over snowbird (ok they get way better snow than pallypine).

We’re pretty close. 6’0 185lbs. I actually just sold my Chet 120’s for exactly what you mentioned. They’re just too soft for my liking and get knocked around like no tomorrow unless you’re in ideal conditions. great ski. A lot of fun. Just not for me. Am curious to try to the new build they released this year. That being said I’m only comparing moment to moment, I wasn’t trying to start a “what’s the best” thing.

completely agree with different skis for different uses. My point strictly was the DW line can ski crud chop just fine. Like you mentioned plenty like myself get along with it great in those conditions. They’re not some soft noodly ski that can’t handle crud/chop. Someone shouldn’t shy away from the dw line because they encounter crud and or chop, the skis are not going to explode. You’ll be just fine. Lol.

as mentioned there is always something bigger and better than the next. I was not implying that the wish line up is the best for crud chop by any means. Just that don’t fear those conditions if you’re looking at the DW line up. Just as the banana is better than the wish at crud the ghost train is better than the banana in powder and the comi is better than both of those.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I can cut my steak with a butter knife, but it's not the best tool for the job.

If you said to me, "I want to grab something from Moment, and I want 'a chop and crud buster,'" the DW series would probably be last in order of precedence from Moment. Chop? Wildcat. Deep chop? CB. Crud? Commanders. Something in the middle that covers all the bases? Countach. I'd probably even rank the Meridian higher with its stiff profile.

I also agree with Kevin, having owned an M102, CB, and HL. Those are chop/crud busters. Low tide days, even with the stiffer core, the DW104 is going to pale in comparison to something like an M102, or even better, the FL105 (which is on another level!). I was just skiing in those conditions two weeks ago, and the two skis I had with me were my Countach and my FL105. After an hour or so on the CT, I switched over to the FL105 because it was night/day the way it just decimated everything in its path. No comparison.

Of course, we are talking quivers here, and that is what it sounds like @Magikarp has. if you wanted one ski for everything, sure you could get away with a DW104 (I'd say the FL105 would be better as one ring to rule them all, but...) and ski it in all conditions. But what fun is that?:)

I agree that the M102 is a better crud buster than the DW 112, but it might depend on how you want to ski the crud. Do you want to make GS turns in rough snow? Grab the M102. But if you want to pop and slash on piles of chop, the DW 112 is a better choice. I've had over 150 days on the DW 112 and at least 50 on the M102 and I like both skis a lot. I would grad the M102 in firmer, more open terrain, but I prefer the DW 112 in softer chop and tighter terrain.

I own the DW 104 in the tour version, but not the full weight. I used to ski the DW 112 tour and the DWT 104 is much stiffer and more capable in tracked snow than it's wider sibling. I would guess that you would see a similar difference in the full weight version.

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree that the M102 is a better crud buster than the DW 112, but it might depend on how you want to ski the crud. Do you want to make GS turns in rough snow? Grab the M102. But if you want to pop and slash on piles of chop, the DW 112 is a better choice. I've had over 150 days on the DW 112 and at least 50 on the M102 and I like both skis a lot. I would grad the M102 in firmer, more open terrain, but I prefer the DW 112 in softer chop and tighter terrain.

I own the DW 104 in the tour version, but not the full weight. I used to ski the DW 112 tour and the DWT 104 is much stiffer and more capable in tracked snow than it's wider sibling. I would guess that you would see a similar difference in the full weight version.
Good point. In my mind, I sort of see it as the difference between going through the snow or over the snow.

Whereas there was a time when maybe I liked to bounce around and slash, these days I find that beats me up more than being on a ski that just doesn't care, one where I can put the pedal down and just rip through the stuff. It's one of the reasons I have gravitated toward really stout, damp, heavy skis. I have a couple that I'm going to try out shortly that I'm real excited about.

Magikarp

Putting on skis
Skier
I did a thing and hoping this will replace or at least offer new sensations vs. my Ranger 107ti...
20240305_233956.jpg

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
ordered some Deathwish 104's 184 supposed to ship tomorrow. Going with pivot 12's.
Solid choice. I ski pivot 15/18 on most skis but went with strive 16’s on the deathwish 104. I’ve been pretty happy with them.

Attachments

• IMG_4878.jpeg
    IMG_4878.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 21

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
Solid choice. I ski pivot 15/18 on most skis but went with strive 16’s on the deathwish 104. I’ve been pretty happy with them.
almost went with the Strive 14's. I have pivots on my dps and mindbenders. wife did order a pair of Sierra with Strive 12's.

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
almost went with the Strive 14's. I have pivots on my dps and mindbenders. wife did order a pair of Sierra with Strive 12's.
pivot 12’s 95’s black for $176

strive 14 black 100’s $145

They also have pivot 14/15/18 onsale if you wanted to step up as well as strive 16’s.

Magikarp

Putting on skis
Skier
They look great for 300. What bindings were mounted previously?
Look pivots, same size as my boots, so it's possible to reuse the holes?

BUT, I plan to look for and use a Strive Demo so I can travel with it easier and bring only the skis and demo rails for my other ski (also a Strive Demo).

Can bindings holes be reused even after it being filled in?

Guy I spoke to suggested mounting at -1 from recommended after his research. It's seemed to make sense as I'm a directional skiier that only occasionally get air from natural features. Thoughts?

MOMENTinTime

Booting up
Skier
Look pivots, same size as my boots, so it's possible to reuse the holes?

BUT, I plan to look for and use a Strive Demo so I can travel with it easier and bring only the skis and demo rails for my other ski (also a Strive Demo).

Can bindings holes be reused even after it being filled in?

Guy I spoke to suggested mounting at -1 from recommended after his research. It's seemed to make sense as I'm a directional skiier that only occasionally get air from natural features. Thoughts?
If they were drilled for pivots and you want to use a demo binding then no. You cannot reuse the holes. They don’t match up. So you’ll need to move the mount. Which can change where you’ll be to the recommended line.

i would NOT use demo bindings on those skis. Demo bindings suffer extremely from performance loss. You’ll lose a lot of power transfer. It restricts the skis natural flex.

there really is no benefit to using demo bindings unless you’re swapping skis with someone on a regular basis who’s foot size is extremely different to yours

Were the holes filled in already? If you’re remounting pivots you can absolutely use the same holes again. They just need to be checked that the threads inside are still good and the wood hasn’t been mangled. If it’s good you can just remount and use good wood glue.

I wouldn’t change from recommend mount point. The 104 is already -6 so farther back than the 112. Going -7 isn’t going to do anything positive to the ski. It’s not a directional ski. You’ll take away the playfulness and give it an odd feeling.

if you really want something directional Countach is where it’s at for a compromise.

As I mentioned above with the links Corbetts has some solid sales on pivots so you could reuse the holes.

Sponsor

Staff online