• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh stop. You're as bad as @Swede , in a very new world sort of way. These are American royalty at this point. I remember from the late 80s when there's was a lot of Ric Forman vs. Randy Dunn chatter. (And Diamond Creek, which I turned my nose up at the time for being crazy over done. Of course I haven't had one since because I'm not in that tax bracket so I have no idea whether I was right or just young and overconfident.) Anyway, pure class. Did you actually open these or were they gifts? Or both?

Our Christmas dinner bottle. Not amazing by a long stretch, but very very nice and I got a deal on it. (I don't drink 11yo Première Cru Burgundy under normal circumstances.)

View attachment 152678
They're a Christmas gift. My inlaws are friends with Randy. As my Grandmother said, "It's not what you know, it's who you know"!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
In other news this week - herself loves everything Alvaro Palacios ever did, especially if it sez Priorat on the label.

The bad news is she can only have 2, maybe 3 glasses before the sinus/allergy reactions kick in, and it takes two days for that to wear off.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1640565234850.png

Had this tonight.

A heavier Pinot than most, but luscious never the less. Dried cherry and plumb notes that lingered on the tongue. Nice long finish.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
In other news this week - herself loves everything Alvaro Palacios ever did, especially if it sez Priorat on the label.

The bad news is she can only have 2, maybe 3 glasses before the sinus/allergy reactions kick in, and it takes two days for that to wear off.
I resisted. But it was very difficult.
PXL_20211227_182028266-01.jpeg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
A region I prefer is Manchuela. More elegant, classic fruit profiles. Not as rich and extracted, but I like that. And great value. Harder to find though. Great "every day" grenache based blends.

It's an ongoing mission - trying to find something jammy enough for her to like enough to justify the inevitable ear and sinus squishies, and not on the 'insipid' side of "pandering" for me.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
A region I prefer is Manchuela. More elegant, classic fruit profiles. Not as rich and extracted, but I like that. And great value. Harder to find though. Great "every day" grenache based blends.
How about sharing some names from that region?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Hey, any of you lot drink sherry much?

I love sherry but I don't drink a lot of it. Primarily because I don't order wine online frequently, and the retail selection is typically slim pickins.

My favorite bar in the world is a sherry bar in Madrid.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
In Madrid I learned that I really liked sherry. And you're never going to drink better sherry outside of Jerez than at La Venencia in Madrid. Straight from the cask to your glass. The most expensive pours are 2.20. Though my favorite (fino) was just 1.80. Simple tapas. Photos not allowed (minor ops, thats our tab). No tipping.

HC1h2jB.jpg

Totally love sherry. Manzanilla is my favorite, generally speaking.

Many years ago Lustau had a Palo Cortado that absolutely made me swoon. I think it was one of their "almacenista" bottlings, but not certain. In any case I never see those anymore. Maybe it's because I don't live in the big city.
I love sherry but I don't drink a lot of it. Primarily because I don't order wine online frequently, and the retail selection is typically slim pickins.

My favorite bar in the world is a sherry bar in Madrid.

Hey, any of you lot drink sherry much?
Yes.

I just spent way too long searching this thread. I thought I would find a half dozen sherry posts from myself but I didn't. Huh.

Maybe it's living in Maine, where access to wine is far better than it was 20 years ago but is still not exactly big city, but it seems to me that finding good sherry is actually harder than it once was. Lustau used to have tons of nice bottlings at multiple price points, and I almost never see them anymore. My current favorite is this one:

1640732785932.png

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
. Lustau used to have tons of nice bottlings at multiple price points, and I almost never see them anymore. My current favorite is this one:

I live next to a town where just about anyone with a restaurant license can import wine, and I can't even find Escuadrilla on the shelves, WTF?

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I live next to a town where just about anyone with a restaurant license can import wine, and I can't even find Escuadrilla on the shelves, WTF?
Maybe they're going down. Or concentrating on markets that care. Or something.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Quite well. Tight upon first opening, but developed nicely over a couple of hours.
One of a batch of old burgundies and bordeauxs my bro in law and I bought many years ago from a wine store that was going out of business.

Sponsor

Staff online