• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Max Anderson

Booting up
Skier
This. Can wear it as a mid layer from 0 to 30 degrees comfortably. Most versatile piece of gear I own.

Posted my reply before reading yours. I couldn't agree more. The Atom LT has made my hard shell as comfortable as my resort-wear insulated. It's awesome.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I just bought a Helly Hansen mid layer. It's warm as I tried to wear it on the plane under my shell and I almost died. Cost was about $63 US as it was on sale at the HH store in Banff. I also just bought a patagonia nano puff for $100. I'll see how it goes with these 2 and which I like better. I'm frugal and always look for bargains. Can we say eBay daily searches :). I had won an eBay auction for an Arc'teryx Atom LT but then the seller canceled the sale so I was bummed. I'll see how it goes this season. I'm keeping an eye out for a Patagonia Nano Air or a Thermo ball for a lighter layer for warmer temps.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I just bought a Helly Hansen mid layer. It's warm as I tried to wear it on the plane under my shell and I almost died. Cost was about $63 US as it was on sale at the HH store in Banff. I also just bought a patagonia nano puff for $100. I'll see how it goes with these 2 and which I like better. I'm frugal and always look for bargains. Can we say eBay daily searches :). I had won an eBay auction for an Arc'teryx Atom LT but then the seller canceled the sale so I was bummed. I'll see how it goes this season. I'm keeping an eye out for a Patagonia Nano Air or a Thermo ball for a lighter layer for warmer temps.
Sounds like you are pretty well covered, then!
I just picked up an Arc'teryx Atom LT at the Amersports outlet in Ogden (that place is BAD for the wallet) for $90. I've worn it several days with different weight jackets/shells and I LOVE it. It definitely breathes better than any of my down layers, and better than my old Mountain Hardwear puffy that gets pretty stinky pretty quickly (and I don't typically get very smelly.)

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Well I've worn my Helly Hansen heavy fleece midlayer on a very cold day and I was very toasty. On a warmer day I wore my Patagucci Nano puff and was very comfortable. Just found out my firm is buying us all Patagonia Better Sweaters with our firm name on it; EXCELLENT, another layer lol. I'm on my way to being set. I just love my shell jacket and wear it most every day, even when not skiing. It's a shell plus with a light liner inside and man this thing is warm, even without any mid layers underneath. I think I'm in love. I'm adapting very well to the mid layer/shell concept ;)

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Well I'm outfitting myself with some decent mid layer choices. I have my heavy Helly Hansen fleece layer for the coldest days. I have 3 different Patagonia Nano puffs (Purple, Burgundy and Red as I like choices) and my work is ordering us Patagonia better sweaters in navy blue. Is the better sweater light than the nano puffs. Just trying to find something thinner and lighter/less warm for those warmer days, perhaps even for spring skiing. Would this be the Nano air? Haven't been able to get my hands on anything Arc'teryx yet but I'm a patient gal. This mid layering thing is fun :)

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well I'm outfitting myself with some decent mid layer choices. I have my heavy Helly Hansen fleece layer for the coldest days. I have 3 different Patagonia Nano puffs (Purple, Burgundy and Red as I like choices) and my work is ordering us Patagonia better sweaters in navy blue. Is the better sweater light than the nano puffs. Just trying to find something thinner and lighter/less warm for those warmer days, perhaps even for spring skiing. Would this be the Nano air? Haven't been able to get my hands on anything Arc'teryx yet but I'm a patient gal. This mid layering thing is fun :)
I got a Patagonia Better Sweater for Christmas. I've mostly been wearing that under my shell (with a thin merino cami and thin merino zip neck. I also have a Patagonia Nano Air, which I think is a little more breathable than the Puffs. It's not as warm as the Better Sweater. Yesterday it was cold and stormy, and I wore my Better Sweater over my Nano Air (the Nano Air is a little snug on me, and the Better Sweater is loose-fitting). I'll probably use the Nano air more in spring.

Freddo Bumps

Booting up
Skier
I can’t speak highly enough about Polartec Alpha. It’s very warm and breathable. I use Outdoor Research (love their cuts), but Strafe and others have some great products with Alpha.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
It's a curse to "run hot".

The clothing manufacturers must hate me.
I wear a "base layer", a shell, and a vest whenever temps are over 20 f
Less than 20F, I add an unlined hooded parka.

Mid layers just don't come into the list of needs. Heck, keeping the shell dry from the inside is a big issue. ;-)

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I guess I run hot too in that it takes a lot for me to be cold. I also don't sweat much which is annoying cause I just get warm and it seems with no release. As result I've only worn my helly Hansen fleece once. I've worn my Patagonia nano puffs several times. I'm very happy with my Sherpa shell as its got a small liner built in and man this coat is warm. I don't think I've worn another jacket since I bought it over MLK weekend.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've discovered that my Nano Air is less warm than my Better Sweater as a mid-layer. Also, in stormy situations, I'm better off wearing both.

Sponsor