• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

My toes are frozen I want heat

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’ve always had poor circulation in fingers and toes. Once they’re cold they stay cold until I take a warm shower and no amount of heating the core will help. Enter the coldest ski boot I’ve ever had the misfortune of wearing. If by some miracle of supply chain and budget I were to acquire boot heaters, how concerned do I need to be about volume?

My boots definitely need some extra
length in the toe box. After 15 days on snow it’s not the liner stopping me from straightening my toes and I’m 90% sure my heel lift puts me like 1-2mm higher in the shell than I want to be. All things the bootfitter can work with if I can align my schedule with his. Just want to make sure I’m not going to ruin my own life…

Also any opinions out there on thermic vs hotronics? Whichever your boot guy’s shop sells?

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
In Boot boot heat shouldn't change the fit of your boot at all if installed correctly.

Both brands make good product, we sell a lot more Hotronics, because we stock a lot more and it is less expensive. The Thermic is really good and can do some things that the Hotronics cannot. One nice plus for Thermic is it doesn't need a conditioning charge at the start of every season. The Bluetooth Thermic can also be set to run hotter when the skier is in line or on the lift but conserve juice when skiing. I like the wiring of the Hotronics better when doing an install.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Volume does not change. In transparency, Hotronic is a sponsor of the site so I am running their systems but have run Thermic in the past too. A lot has to with starting the day. Dry feet, dry socks and especially a dry boot go a long way to not getting cold feet. A heated bootbag like the the Kulkea Thermal Trekker go a long way to feet not getting too cold.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Make sure the tech who installs your heater does so with the goal of not adding volume. A good tech will carve out a little space for the heating element, wire, and tape. Probably every tech would, but the instructions don't direct you to.

In my experience, they are worth every penny. When it was -19 at Saddleback first thing in the morning, I added stick-on toe heaters, and between the two life was wonderful.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had Hotronics installed in a race fit Head Raptor 140 this season, thus far I've skied them in 6*F (I thought that day was cold...), -14*F, -15*F, and -18*F air temps, along with more normal skiing weather. At no point on any of those days did my feet feel cold. I start with warm, dry boots, turn them on to 2 or 3 about 5 mins before I go outside. They truly kept me on the hill those days. While most race boots skew towards responsiveness vs warmth, the Head boots have a reputation for being even colder. I also found the plastic lifter plates and screws seem to suck the cold in more than a normal sole would.

I notice no additional issue fitment issues with the insoles installed on customer footbeds, they were done by the boot fitter that did the footbeds. He has clearly done it before judging by how fast he was able to get them installed.

Side note...there have been a few discussions on here about Booster straps. I finally found a use for mine, other than to hang my speaker in the basement during tuning sessions. I use it exclusively for the battery pack.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like tweaking the boot fit is your first step, but you realize that. I have lot of experience with both Hotronics and Thermics. For my feet, the Thermics have worked better, but either is better than nothing. As others have stated, a decent fitter will make sure that the heating element has zero effect on space inside the boot. Another thing to consider: my feet sweat when they are cold, and wet feet = cold(er) feet. I have found that applying an antiperspirant to feet during the ski season decreases the sweating and improves the warmth. Heated socks that have the heating element surround the toes (I have experience with Lenz and Hotronics) work even better for me that the standard boot heaters. All of the heated socks will take up slightly more room than an ultra-thin pair of standard ski socks - but again, a good boot fitter can help you here.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like tweaking the boot fit is your first step, but you realize that. I have lot of experience with both Hotronics and Thermics. For my feet, the Thermics have worked better, but either is better than nothing. As others have stated, a decent fitter will make sure that the heating element has zero effect on space inside the boot. Another thing to consider: my feet sweat when they are cold, and wet feet = cold(er) feet. I have found that applying an antiperspirant to feet during the ski season decreases the sweating and improves the warmth. Heated socks that have the heating element surround the toes (I have experience with Lenz and Hotronics) work even better for me that the standard boot heaters. All of the heated socks will take up slightly more room than an ultra-thin pair of standard ski socks - but again, a good boot fitter can help you here.

Same here.

TS
Z

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Dry feet, dry socks and especially a dry boot go a long way to not getting cold feet. A heated bootbag like the the Kulkea Thermal Trekker
I’ve started wearing different socks to the mountain and then changing just this season. Only thing I don’t have is a heated boot bag but strongly considering it, if for no other reason than because I’m too weak and feeble to wrestle my way into these boots half the time (combo of tiny size and stiff-for-my-size boot, I guess? I can flex them fine once they’re on :huh:)

I added stick-on toe heaters
Remember those fondly from bike racing. I don’t think I physically could fit them in my ski boots though. I wish! Will keep your tip about cable routing in mind.
the Head boots have a reputation for being even colder. I also found the plastic lifter plates and screws seem to suck the cold in more than a normal sole would.
This is exactly it. I read about Head boots and being cold and went “eh, how bad could it be?” Well… I’m now in a Raptor 120 with a < 10mm shell fit and holy crap the bottoms of my feet specifically are freezing. Which is why I thought of boot heaters. Glad to hear it worked for you.
Sounds like tweaking the boot fit is your first step, but you realize that.
Yup. I have a long-standing issue with numbness in my higher volume foot after ~2 hours and I’m sure that is a boot fit issue with a pressure point on top of the midfoot. This is different where skiing in single digits it’s incredibly cold through the soles of both, and then frozen everywhere below the ankle within 30 minutes. Interesting point about sweating. My socks are dry when I take the boot off to thaw, but I’m willing to try anything. Heated socks sounds like it’d take a lot of shell work though. My boots were fitted with the thinnest socks I own (ski sock or otherwise!)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't over look going into the lodge and at least loosening your boots for a bit while walking around. I've done that on occasion and my feet warm up and seem to stay warmer. Not sure why but it's something to try. Also, the neoprene covers like SkiSkooty's Bootaclava (site sponsor) and DryGuy Bootgloves help. I'm not sure if they hold some heat in or keep the cold out or a bit of both, but they do help.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I’ve always had poor circulation in fingers and toes. Once they’re cold they stay cold until I take a warm shower and no amount of heating the core will help.

You already know this, but be careful.

It is too easy to do long-term damage in that scenario. As in - one painful thaw out away from having problems at 35F for years afterwards.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You already know this, but be careful.

It is too easy to do long-term damage in that scenario. As in - one painful thaw out away from having problems at 35F for years afterwards.

35? Try 53. Even June at ABasin, my toes turn yellow ...

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you go with electric heaters be sure the batteries are either mounted on the outsides of the boots or in a pocket with extension wires running to the boots. Some shops mount the batteries on the backs of the boots which works until a chairlift with a low lower bar knocks the batteries off.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I will second the boot gloves or Bootaclava. I use boot gloves occasionally. Friends actually open a package of hand or toe warmers, and place one on top of each boot, beneath the boot glove. I've found them really helpful on windy days.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I’ve always had poor circulation in fingers and toes. Once they’re cold they stay cold until I take a warm shower and no amount of heating the core will help. Enter the coldest ski boot I’ve ever had the misfortune of wearing. If by some miracle of supply chain and budget I were to acquire boot heaters, how concerned do I need to be about volume?

My boots definitely need some extra
length in the toe box. After 15 days on snow it’s not the liner stopping me from straightening my toes and I’m 90% sure my heel lift puts me like 1-2mm higher in the shell than I want to be. All things the bootfitter can work with if I can align my schedule with his. Just want to make sure I’m not going to ruin my own life…

Also any opinions out there on thermic vs hotronics? Whichever your boot guy’s shop sells?
Why only two choices? Sidas. :duck:

Actually I have no idea which is best. I have Sidas and they work.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Sidas has left the game. You're correct, they're only reselling the Therm-ic system now.
they own it so not really resellers

sidas bought thermic a few years back, they ran the two products side by side for a while, more recently they have gone down the route of sidas being the insole company and thermic being the heat company

Sponsor

Staff online