• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

National Day Lunacy

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Honestly, I'm with MissySki on this.
I don't NEED a daughters day.
When I see these pop up on social channels, I think the title of this thread hit the nail on the head.
National Day Lunacy indeed.

Now, national bourbon day....that I could get behind.
Well I have a daughter, she is wonderful and deserving of a day. There is probably someone who feels the same way about you.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Let's see, we have a Mother's Day, Father's Day, Son's Day so what is so bad about a Daughter's Day? Are Mothers Day and Father's Day only about social media?
Mother’s and Father’s Day have existed for a very long time and not just on social media.

There is no actual daughter’s day or son’s day.. it is made up and only in the last few years that I have noticed. Do you actually go and celebrate daughter’s or son’s day? I have never seen any actual events or get togethers for these days like happen on Mother’s and Father’s Days. They are during the week too versus set aside on a weekend when people are actually free to do things together like on Mother’s and Father’s Day. All I have seen are people writing sappy things on Facebook with pictures of their kids. I don’t personally feel a need for it, I’m aware of and happy and secure in my parents’ love for me without all of that stuff on social media. Isn’t that what my birthday is for too?? At least my birthday is unique to me and a special day to one’s parents as well, that’s the day to celebrate imo. At least then your social media feeds don’t get inundated with everyone posting the same thing all day.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well I have a daughter, she is wonderful and deserving of a day. There is probably someone who feels the same way about you.
I am very close with my parents and they show their love for me all the time. I don't need "a day" to know they love and appreciate me.
Heck look at my mom's FB post on my birthday...
Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 7.01.27 PM.png

Tricia? Doubtful...

:duck::duck::duck:
You funny!

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I feel that “son’s day” is my son’s birthday. I have fallen for the social media rap in the past… which is particularly silly since he really doesn’t even do social media. I resisted this year.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have mixed feelings about daughter’s/son’s days. On one hand I agree that the social media forced promotion of the day is irritating but on the other hand is there really anything wrong with another day to celebrate those we love and hold dear? As far as I know, they haven’t reached the hallmark gift buying frenzy (yet) and are really just a time to mention someone we love and say nice things about them. Is that so bad?

Uncle-A

Skier
Mother’s and Father’s Day have existed for a very long time and not just on social media.

There is no actual daughter’s day or son’s day.. it is made up and only in the last few years that I have noticed. Do you actually go and celebrate daughter’s or son’s day? I have never seen any actual events or get togethers for these days like happen on Mother’s and Father’s Days. They are during the week too versus set aside on a weekend when people are actually free to do things together like on Mother’s and Father’s Day. All I have seen are people writing sappy things on Facebook with pictures of their kids. I don’t personally feel a need for it, I’m aware of and happy and secure in my parents’ love for me without all of that stuff on social media. Isn’t that what my birthday is for too?? At least my birthday is unique to me and a special day to one’s parents as well, that’s the day to celebrate imo. At least then your social media feeds don’t get inundated with everyone posting the same thing all day.
You are completely entitled to your opinion. Just as I am entitled to mine. I was just sharing another point of view.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You are completely entitled to your opinion. Just as I am entitled to mine. I was just sharing another point of view.
Of course, I am just curious why one would feel the best way to show their appreciation for their child is on a made up day on social media when it isn't an actual in person/telephone call type of day. Like if it was a day where you call your child and/or get together and celebrate it, okay I get it I suppose. But it seems to me it only really exists on social media. That of course may not be the case for you. For the majority though, it seems like it is more for one's followers than the actual person, but I guess a lot of social media is like that. Why post on social media versus actually interacting with the person privately on such a day if it is that important? Many people I see are like, “Oh I didn’t realize it was National Daughter/Son day, but shout out to mine blah blah blah..” type of thing. It seems like an afterthought that is only brought on because all of their friends did it so now they have to too. Whereas we actually know when Mother’s and Father’s Day are each year and plan to get together with them or at least talk on the phone.

I dunno, is that what people here are doing? Are you celebrating these days outside of Facebook post?

Uncle-A

Skier
Of course, I am just curious why one would feel the best way to show their appreciation for their child is on a made up day on social media when it isn't an actual in person/telephone call type of day. Like if it was a day where you call your child and/or get together and celebrate it, okay I get it I suppose. But it seems to me it only really exists on social media. That of course may not be the case for you. For the majority though, it seems like it is more for one's followers than the actual person, but I guess a lot of social media is like that. Why post on social media versus actually interacting with the person privately on such a day if it is that important? Many people I see are like, “Oh I didn’t realize it was National Daughter/Son day, but shout out to mine blah blah blah..” type of thing. It seems like an afterthought that is only brought on because all of their friends did it so now they have to too. Whereas we actually know when Mother’s and Father’s Day are each year and plan to get together with them or at least talk on the phone.

I dunno, is that what people here are doing? Are you celebrating these days outside of Facebook post?
I talk on the phone with my daughter several times a week, but I realize that she is a busy person with a nursing job, twins, and a husband. So I don't see the harm in just giving a little extra bit of appreciation in the media platform of today. As is I don't think people appreciate family as much today as they have in the past. So the question is Why Not?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So the question is Why Not?
Because it becomes an obligation, an indication that you MUST do something THAT day, despite everyone's busy lives and no matter how much you do other things for each other anyway...

It's also a chance for businesses to take advantage of it and bombard us with advertising or reminders or products, and ways to try to make money off of it, which is my main problem with it...

It's also perhaps an implication that you might not remember to appreciate your kids otherwise (though admittedly, maybe some parents should be reminded).

Uncle-A

Skier
Because it becomes an obligation, an indication that you MUST do something THAT day, despite everyone's busy lives and no matter how much you do other things for each other anyway...

It's also a chance for businesses to take advantage of it and bombard us with advertising or reminders or products, and ways to try to make money off of it, which is my main problem with it...

It's also perhaps an implication that you might not remember to appreciate your kids otherwise (though admittedly, maybe some parents should be reminded).
You don't have to do anything, I feel it is any obligation to appreciate my daughter it just comes naturally.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I feel it is any obligation to appreciate my daughter it just comes naturally.
Not what I meant, really... the obligation is that something is supposed to happen on that particular day. I talk to my mom and dad all the time and hopefully frequently appreciate them.. but I feel obligated to do something special, buy presents, etc. on Mother's Day and Father's Day, and companies seek to make money off of that. I'm not sure we need more of that.

Uncle-A

Skier
Not a National Day but today 10 October 2023 is "World Mental Health Day". We all could use a little extra Mental Health, because many people think that it is crazy to be a skier.

Uncle-A

Skier
It doesn't matter if you like it or not but it is National Candy Corn Day. It does make sense that the day before Halloween is set aside for this sweet treat.

Sponsor