• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Never ending fis sl ski questions

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
I have a question for the FIS SL folks: How thick are your skis at the mount line? I'm curious how the brands compare. I shouldn't have sold my Rossignols, but I remember them being thicker than the other skis in my collection. My Ogasaka's are 19.2mm. My eRace Pros a mere 13.75mm.
Blossom's are ~5/8" 15.875 cm. Just took a very rough measurement. RC's are significantly less thick ~ 1/2" 12.7mm. Still love those RC's. 15/16 supershape i.speed is also ~ 1/2" 12.7mm.

Last edited:

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Blossom's are ~5/8" 15.875 cm. Just took a very rough measurement. RC's are significantly less thick ~ 1/2" 12.7mm. Still love those RC's. 15/16 supershape i.speed is also ~ 1/2" 12.7mm.

Thanks, @mulva28. It's only a couple of data points, but it confirms my suspicion that the TC-SUs are thicker and stiffer than slalom skis -- not for better edge hold on ice, but for better edge hold when there is no ice, i.e. technical carving events in softer snow. But I'd like hear from other brands. Atomics (@KingGrump)? Rossis (@Tony Storaro)? Noridca (@DocGKR)? And who's our primary fanboy for Volkl FIS SL and why don't the skis get much attention here? UVO is real tech.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, @mulva28. It's only a couple of data points, but it confirms my suspicion that the TC-SUs are thicker and stiffer than slalom skis -- not for better edge hold on ice, but for better edge hold when there is no ice, i.e. technical carving events in softer snow. But I'd like hear from other brands. Atomics (@KingGrump)? Rossis (@Tony Storaro)? Noridca (@DocGKR)? And who's our primary fanboy for Volkl FIS SL and why don't the skis get much attention here? UVO is real tech.

Mine are in the shop for conservation wax purposes. When I get them back I’ll measure if I don’t forget :ogbiggrin:

Roby lukens

Putting on skis
Skier
I have a question for the FIS SL folks: How thick are your skis at the mount line? I'm curious how the brands compare. I shouldn't have sold my Rossignols, but I remember them being thicker than the other skis in my collection. My Ogasaka's are 19.2mm. My eRace Pros a mere 13.75mm.
Just to add a few more data points for what it's worth. I have a pair of blizzard race sl (2011 i think), a pair of dynastar omeglass wc slantnose (also 2011) and a pair of head isl rds (2015 i think). The blizzards measure about 11/16 at their thickest. the dynastars and heads measure about 5/8 at their thickest. Mounting lines are either hidden by plates or have worn away (we don't need any stinking mounting lines!).

Jjmd

Putting on skis
Skier
These are Atomic s9 fis 2024 I recently acquired and I was wondering what the markings on the “9” were? Possibly some reference to to the flex pattern of the ski? The only condition I have skied them in was end of season soft on its way to mank ,so I can’t make much of an interpretation of their relative stiffness and performance. Any comments on this version (I don’t think the construction has changed for a few years other than the graphics) would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_8844.jpeg
    IMG_8844.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8846.jpeg
    IMG_8846.jpeg
    215.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_8847.jpeg
    IMG_8847.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 49

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
These are Atomic s9 fis 2024 I recently acquired and I was wondering what the markings on the “9” were? Possibly some reference to to the flex pattern of the ski? The only condition I have skied them in was end of season soft on its way to mank ,so I can’t make much of an interpretation of their relative stiffness and performance. Any comments on this version (I don’t think the construction has changed for a few years other than the graphics) would be appreciated.

Yes, it's a flex number. All of their race stock skis have them, be they SL, GS, SG, or DH.

James

Out There
Instructor
They match the flexes between the pairs.
Supposedly, the whole Augment flex boondoggle was the same thing, they didn’t change the layup.

smv

Booting up
Skier
I think its the ’9’ from the S9 designation.. check the ’S’ before !

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think its the ’9’ from the S9 designation.. check the ’S’ before !
1682451297814.png

Jjmd is not talking about the "9"... but referring to the small hand-written numbers on the 9. Looks like "39" to me.

James

Out There
Instructor
It’s ‘34’ afaict.
There’s some discussion of flex numbers in this thread-
In this case “Federh.” (Federhärte) means spring constant (bending stiffness / flex), the values for “Federh.” on the labels are most likely for the center spring constant. Center spring constant is used to match the skis into pairs and in the case of race skis to grade them according to stiffness, the higher the number the softer the ski.

Ski-Spring-Constant.jpg

“Schaufelharte = shovel (forebody) spring constant and Endhärte = rear (afterbody) spring constant, all the measurements are carried out without plates / bindings.
For further information see ISO 5902 Alpine skis — Determination of elastic properties,

“Vorsp.”is an abbreviation of Vorspannung, which means camber and as many of you have already worked out “Gewicht” = weight and “Laenge” (also spelt Länge) = length.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What were the numbers for stifness of Atomic SLs? I remember something like 36,37,38 whatever that means but I am not sure if I can choose at the interwebs shops I am buying from. Is there a common stiffness for the FIS SL Atomics sold to the general audience?
And what do the numbers on that professional looking sticker at the tips mean?

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What were the numbers for stifness of Atomic SLs? I remember something like 36,37,38 whatever that means but I am not sure if I can choose at the interwebs shops I am buying from. Is there a common stiffness for the FIS SL Atomics sold to the general audience?

Lower numbers = stiffer

James

Out There
Instructor
According to swisstoni’s graphic, it’s the spring constant, Newtons/cm, c= 300N/f(deflection)
That means higher deflection = lower spring constant

But that doesn’t jive with experience, so maybe they just list the deflection, in millimeters. (Always been my understanding) So lower deflection under the standard weight = stiffer.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Normally there are two numbers, one for the front and one for the tail. They might have changed but 34 sounds like it would be a number for the front and a stiff flex. Previous years you could order 34-38. The numbers might be different depending on y/m, so what is considered what corresponds to changes in over all design. Tail numbers are typically 33-28. The lower the softer. Don't know if Atomic has an overall flex number nowadays, they used to be the same as Salomon's race skis with front+tail number. You might have tail flex sharpie number somewhere there, perhaps under the plate.

Sponsor

Staff online