• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New "Rugged" Subaru-- 2022 OUTBACK WILDERNESS

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
1616543078886.png

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's kind of funny that by covering just certain parts in… whatever that's called, they're advertising exactly which parts of the car have changed. (And which parts are likely exactly the same as production vehicles on the road today.)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Lift it. Cut out the fender wells. Whoopee. It’s almost like they added lockers and low range. Almost.
It's like someone spent 15 minutes randomly scrolling through a Subaru forum and noticed people have been doing that to them for decades..

TS
Ken_R

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Lift it. Cut out the fender wells. Whoopee. It’s almost like they added lockers and low range. Almost.

This is @nay just waiting for those ruggerized subbies to hit deep snow...

38iqvl.png

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just like most SUV’s out there, a lot of people will buy this thinking they can be real off road drivers without having any clue what that really means, what it’s like, and what it entails.

That pic posted above doesn’t look a whole lot different from the current Outback. The press release I got in my email box seemed it indicate the entire vehicle was changed. Guess not.

I’ve driven off road in places in the US and overseas (South Africa, Swaziland, Australia, Iceland) where I was at a crawl, with a person walking alongside the vehicle to make sure the tires didn’t go where they weren’t supposed to go, which meant plummeting down a cliff. Or removing removing obstacles from the “path” so we could get through. So excuse me for looking at this type of design change with amusement.

Disclaimer: I own a 2015 Outback and love it. But I’ve no illusions that it’s really that off-road worthy. My husbands 2005 Xterra with skid plates and heavy duty shocks and 4WD low? Yes. But not this. And that’s not what it was really ever for. The draw was having an AWD wagon, not an SUV. I don’t understand Americans’ obsession for having off road vehicles when 99% of the driving is done on paved roads, and most depend on their AWD instead of having SNOW TIRES in the winter.

I’m saving my $ for an electric vehicle.

Last edited:

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just like most SUV’s out there, a lot of people will buy this thinking they can be real off road drivers without having any clue what that really means, what it’s like, and what it entails.

That pic posted above doesn’t look a whole lot different from the current Outback. The press release I got in my email box seemed it indicate the entire vehicle was changed. Guess not.

I’ve driven off road in places in the US and overseas (South Africa, Swaziland, Australia, Iceland) where I was at a crawl, with a person walking alongside the vehicle to make sure the tires didn’t go where they weren’t supposed to go, which meant plummeting down a cliff. Or removing removing obstacles from the “path” so we could get through. So excuse me for looking at this type of design change with amusement.

Disclaimer: I own a 2015 Outback and love it. But I’ve no illusions that it’s really that off-road worthy. My husbands 2005 Xterra with skid plates and heavy duty shocks and 4WD low? Yes. But not this. And that’s not what it was really ever for. The draw was having an AWD wagon, not an SUV. I don’t understand Americans’ obsession for having off road vehicles when 99% of the driving is done on paved roads.

I’m saving my $ for an electric vehicle.

Here you go: https://www.torquenews.com/1084/new-subaru-all-electric-suv-comes-focus-shanghai-auto-show

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I wondered if they were going to partner with Toyota, which seems to have its act together more re: hybrid and electric technology. But it’s still too long in coming.

The Toyota hybrids are really nice. I wish Subaru would at least offer an option like that. Their Crosstrek is lame.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

I looked at the crosstrek when shopping for new car. Yes it is lame- the battery takes up all of the back end of the car! I ended up w/2020 Outback- my 2016 with 98K was having electrical problems- horn stopped working, windows started to go up and then down would have needed timing belt..

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's kind of funny that by covering just certain parts in… whatever that's called, they're advertising exactly which parts of the car have changed. (And which parts are likely exactly the same as production vehicles on the road today.)
To my untrained eye, it doesn’t look any different from the current Outback XT.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I don’t understand Americans’ obsession for having off road vehicles when 99% of the driving is done on paved roads.

Their Crosstrek is lame.
It's about image. Most SUV owners would be better served by a minivan or station wagon but: "I don't want to drive one of those." It' also a self perpetuating cycle. If everyone around you is sitting up high in a big vehicle it can be unnerving to be sitting down low.

The Crosstrek Hybrid is a joke. It only gets ~3mpg better than the non hybrid.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January