• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah NEW SNOWBIRD TRAM CABIN DAMAGED DURING INSTALLATION

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
red tram summer rendering
SAM Magazine—Little Cottonwood Canyon, Utah, May 31, 2022—One of the two new tram cabins being installed at Snowbird, Utah, fell to ground on Saturday, May 29, leaving it damaged beyond repair. The cabin was being lifted by a crane onto the hanger when it fell, according to Snowbird general manager Dave Fields, who said he is grateful no one was injured. The state-of-the-art cabins will be the first in the United States to have open air rooftop balconies.

The new cabins—along with a new drive system, braking system, bullwheels, and other upgrades—were scheduled to be installed by Doppelmayr and the tram reopened sometime in June for scenic rides. In addition to the rooftop balconies, which can fit up to 15 people, the cabins will also have glass panels in the floors. Both features will be used for summer operations only, according to the resort.

Full story here:

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
well that's unfortunate, story is they'll run with one new and one old.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
My favorite question to ask old-timer engineers and construction managers is "what's the biggest mistake you've made on the job?". Good stories always follow. I wonder who will be claiming this story in the future...
Yeah I worked for 12 years in an engineering/arch firm..we had some nice ones. And some unfortunate accidents as well....

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
There were some links posted on Mon in the Utah thread. I think @Rudi Riet posted one with time lapse pics from @Lift Blog?

Yup, I did post it in the Utah resorts/meetups thread. The only upside is that the crane was being operated by the Doppermayr/Garaventa crew at the time so the fault goes to them. Sadly it's a very expensive mess to swallow, and the lead time for a new cabin is not short. They'd already had delays in getting these new cabins to Utah due to supply chain issues with shipping, so... awkward.

Methinks they may end up flying a replacement cabin (at great expense) on a super-size cargo aircraft just to save time... if they can get a replacement cabin built before ski season.

My question is: it's a jigback system, so the whole tram run is predicated on having one car going up while the other descends. How will they counterweight the system if they run only one car?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My question is: it's a jigback system, so the whole tram run is predicated on having one car going up while the other descends. How will they counterweight the system if they run only one car?
The way I read it, they were going to use one new car and one old car. How get them to have similar weights is another question.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The way I read it, they were going to use one new car and one old car. How get them to have similar weights is another question.
Weight of the full car going up would still be different of the weight of the empty car coming down even if they were identical cars right??

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Weight of the full car going up would still be different of the weight of the empty car coming down even if they were identical cars right??
Well they're designed to be equal plus the live load, which is the passengers. You now have unequal plus the live load. Could be outside of the design parameters. Say you designed for 1500lbs of live load. And suppose the car difference is now that. You could effectively be trying to haul double the design weight. They won't allow that.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I wondered the same thing…this is the response I found:

1654102229529.png

Reactions: RJS

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
That's an extremely expensive spare for a possible occurrence that is quite rare. What would they do with a spare that isn't used?
Sorry sarcasm doesn't come across well in print. But more seriously one assumes high penalty clauses and priority at the factory for a rebuild before you embark on a project like this.

Of course didn't help Copper and their disastrous decision to replace both main lifts at the same time and break ground very late. I imagine families that had their Xmas ruined still haven't forgiven that.

Sponsor

Staff online